Overheat...

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 164
ok i know this isnt the amp section but ive had this thread in the amp section for a bout 1 day and a half and no one seems to know the answer...
after playing my amp at about 55...i have a blaupunkt austin cd41 goes up to 80...on 0 bass and +1 bass boost...for like 1 hour sometimes less my amp gets pretty hot, with songs like late nite tip, da blow, many men...is their any way, besides playing lower volume to get it to cool down....ie fan...? thanx in advance

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1803
a fan better ventilation, playing shorter periods of time.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 165
what type of fan...?
like a small pc type fan....
i dont think ventalation is a problem i have a hatchback....

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1805
yeah thats usually what used.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 166
so how i would go by wiring that...? if u know that would be great...

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1807
that i dont

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 167
thanx for the help anywase..im guessin maybe you could jsut run a wire from something like a light in the car....

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1808
well usually there is a plug that you can hook it up to in the amplifier. like there is a plug that your lights are plugged into and you could splice into it, but im not sure thats why i said i didnt know

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 168
kk thanx alot for the help i will try that and let you know how it worked out...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3283
Killer, what is the spec of the amp? What is the gain/level set at? Usually when an amp overheats, it's caused by incorrectly set gain/level or your speaker ohms are too low.
Check the gain/level and your sub's ohm resistance. If you don't meet the minimum ohm requirement of the amp, it will overheat and most likely blow.
I would check the setup before adding a fan.
If however, everything is set correctly, then get a 5v cpu fan and install it. Most amps have some kind of lights on the display. You can easily borrow one of those power for the cpu fan.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 169
THANX alot ya ill try that cuz i know evrything is set up correctly....

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 46
Hi. I'm trying to avoid a problem with my amp too. I'm running it in my trunk at 1ohm and I live in Phoenix, AZ - so I don't want it to overheat either. Can you explain for us beginners where to mount the fan? I mean, just point it at the amp or ... ? Thanks everyone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Also, how can I tell if my gain level is inaccurate? Right now I'm breaking in a sub - so I figured the level all the way down would be appropriate... how wrong am I?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3286
Check your HU's manual. It'll tell you what the preout voltage is. You match that with your amp's input using gain/level.
So if your HU is 4v, and your amp has a maximum of 8v input, then set the control half way.
As for the fan, for maximum benefit, you cut a hole on the casing and then install the cpu fan. If that's not possible, then install the fan and aim it at the heatsink "fins".

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1812
yo sean im moving to tempe soon, and its f*ckin hot as hell there. i know off topic, ive HEARD that you will dissperse less heat if the amp is vertical( but that was in my power acoustik manual, so who knows) and i would point it at the heat sink also if you couldnt get it on the board

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
THANKS you guys!!! The heat sink fins are the ones on the sides of the amp right? Kinda look like a long vent, right?

Hdubb:
I have no idea about this verical thing, but if you find out more about it - please, let me know. Also, when are you moving here? I hope for your sake it's before the end of the summer... it's hotter than phuk, but the EYECANDY around here is like no other place on earth!!!!!!!! I love it. You'll see........

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Isaac:
One last question. If I have my HU running to an RCA converter, does that change the voltage that's going to my amp?
Thanks for helping.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 169
To wire a fan, just put it inline with your remote lead. One fan will not cause a large power drop.

By mounting it vertical, the heat can travel along the fin of the heatsink and improves the flow.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us