Has anyone ever built enclosures for their two way speakers before

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2765
I just wondered this because i was thinking if you did you could improve mid bass response and such. An example would be porting a pair of 6 x 9s 6.5's 5.25s etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2766
the more ideas i come up with the more sq minded im becoming guess that comes with gettin older and not wanting a daily ground pounder to kill my ear drums ....ill leave that for the spl lanes when im out of the car lol

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 172
Computer speakers come like that all the time. The only downside is that only a few smaller drivers have published specs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2767
what if you got the equipment and read the theil small specs yourself

Gold Member

Post Number: 2768
or simply called the manufacter

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3293
If you want better sound/response, build yourself an air tight enclosure.
I've used 6" pvc pipe and some sealing glue. If you've never head of 6.5" speakers in an air tight enclosure, I recommend you try once.
My setup sounds so real, you think it's a concert.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2775
i designed plans for a triple chamber abc box for my tangband 6.5's but have also thought already about buying 6 inch pvc as you said maybe even the clear stuff....what 6.5s you using isaac? how much airspace?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2778
but i want to do my triple chamber abc box first with them

Gold Member

Post Number: 3295
I'm using Polk Momo MM6 and Diamond Audio. My door only has clearance for 4.5" depth so that's what my enclosure is. If you have more space, then even better. Before you cut it, experiment with different depths and some sort of sound deadening material inside.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2779
ahh ok i have a better idea what you did there heck if you needed it you could create a baffle to extend your depth

Gold Member

Post Number: 2780
or make your pvc longer and fiberglass over it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3299
I used part of an old sub box for sealing off the back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2781
ok ill keep this idea in mind as well for other projects thanks isaac. by the way if it has that effect on 6.5s with how you did it imagine other speaker sizes with a different material than pvc of course

Gold Member

Post Number: 2782
but i like the pvc idea because its very strong no flexing because of the shape

Gold Member

Post Number: 3300
For cars, I found PVC to be the best cause of it's stiffness and ability to withstand all kinds of weather.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2783
how much did your 6 inch pvc cost you and where did you get it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2784
im having a hard time finding it on the web

Kyle Allen
Unregistered guest
Isaac, you said you use polk momo mm6, how do they sound compared to infinity kappa perfects 6.1. I'm trying to find out what to get. Also, how do you mount the pvc into the do wo it does not move. Did you say you closed the back with mdf, and glue. Let me know if you can. thanks,

Kyle Allen
Unregistered guest
Isaac, you said you use polk momo mm6, how do they sound compared to infinity kappa perfects 6.1. I'm trying to find out what to get. Also, how do you mount the pvc into the door so it does not move. Did you say you closed the back with mdf, and glue. Let me know if you can. thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 230
i had some 6x9's in an enclosure once..... i still got one of the boxes too

Gold Member

Post Number: 3303
Sean, only the plumbing stores carry 6" pvc pipes. You won't find it anywhere else.
What I like about Polk Momo MM6 is the crossover. It'll let you boost the midrange with a flip of a switch. The Polk has higher power numbers than Infinity (150W vs 110w).
In overall, if you like clear vocals and a bit soft highs then MM6 will do great. Infinitys will give you a bit more "harder" highs.
I used sealing glue along with screws for my enclosure. First you find out the depth your doors will handle, then cut the pvc pipe according to it. With mdf board, seal the back end of it. Apply plenty of sealing glue on the sides of the mdf before inserting into the pipe. Now put some glues on the screws and screw those into the sides of the pvc pipe so that the board will be secure. Once the glue dries, it'll seal the board to the pvc as well as the screw holes.
I also installed speaker terminal connectors on the mdf board and glued that also. Basically you want to seal any hole/leak.
Then you apply glue on the back of the speaker where it comes in contact with the pvc pipe. If your speaker does not fit the pipe perfectly, then make a spacer out of mdf and glue & screw that onto the pvc and then mount the speaker onto it.
For installing it inside the door panel, you get "L" shaped brackets from Home hardware/depot and mount them on the door panel. 3-4 of them will hold the pvc securely to the door frame. Now you just slide the pvc enclosure onto it and screw onto the sides. Don't forget to use glue on anything that drills/screws onto the pvc. This will ensure air tight environment.
With proper painting and fiber glassing, you can make it look very professional. In fact, most of the custom installers won't go that far. This is why it's best to do it yourself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2785
ok thaks isaac but how much typically is a piece of 6 inch pvc price wise?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4115
If you can find a place that would be willing to cut it off for you, it wouldn't be too bad, but if you have to buy a 20ft length of it, it'll be pretty pricey. PVC is a good material, doesn't resonate too bad (especially in comparison to metal, glass, hard plastic, and other materials that you encounter in a car :-)) and is easily dampened with your choice of sound deadening. You could even add some polyfill and a deflex pad to the back to dampen even more. Sealed is the way to go IF you have the drivers for it. Many car speakers are built for strict IB mounting, and the suspension Q may lead a 6.5" driver to want enclosures that are much larger than what you can provide in anything other than a door. With that case, you'll sometimes get poor extension down low and possibly a higher resonant frequency. It's important to e-mail the manufacturer for T/S parameters to find out how big your box needs to be, and possibly choose drivers that will accomodate that. That being said, sealed off is hard to beat, it eliminates one of the many problems in a car, which is cancellation from inside a door, dash, whatever the mount is. You'll get a much smoother response and better bass quality. SPL can improve as well. The Adire Extremis midwoofer works well with .2 to .35 cu ft or so quite well, it's a great small sealed box woofer and incredibly potent for a midwoofer. 13mm linear one-way excursion and good dispersion to 5khz, killer 6.5" (really it's closer to 7")

Gold Member

Post Number: 2787
yeah my tangband 6.5s would only need .2 cf. sealed minimum and up to .35 cf maximum sealed (.49 ported minimum at just under 36 hz but up to .7 cf maximum ported to 35 hz for what i would aim for)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2788
oh and the tangbands have a 11.5 mm to 12 mm excursion depending where you read the specs

Gold Member

Post Number: 2789
thanks for the reply jon and isaac
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us