8 ohm Sub with a 4 ohm amp?

Anonymous

I recently purchased an amp, box, and subwoofer from Cardomain. I didn't know this at the time, but it looks like the dual-coil infinity subs can only be wired at 2 ohms or 8 ohms. The 4 channel amp I purchased can only be wired to 4 ohms if bridged (only way I have enough rms power for the subs, and I was using the other two outputs for my rear speakers).

Will there be a drastic loss of power if wiring at 8 ohms compaired to the 4... or is there any way I can wire the sub to accept four? I could possibly return the sub and get another infinity one with the same power, but single coil so I could wire it to 4 ohms... but that would cost me about $30 more shipping. It would be worth it though if it made a big difference.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 149
yeah, tuf options. i had the same problem. i switched to 2ohm subs and my amp was only bridgable to 4ohms. had to get another amp and run 1amp per sub. since your sub is 4ohms, i would grab another amp. i had a 4channel rf back in the day, and it just ran hotter than vegas when i briddged it. would keep shutting down.
however, if money's tight, go ahead and switch to a 2ohm sub. these are really your only options. the power decrease will indeed be drastic between 4 and 8ohms. 1/2

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1960
I would go a head and spend the 30 bucks. What ever you're amp puts out at 4 ohms, half that, and thats what you will be getting at 8 ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us