2 15" W3 vs 2 12" W6V2 My buddy is tellin me his 15's will be louder..read!

Bronze Member
Username: Shekei

Post Number: 45
Hey guys. My buddy is tellin me his system is gonna be louder here is the spec and tell me what you think.

I got 2 JL W6v2's in a ported box custom made to JL specs. The box is huge, in a small Mx-6. I could BARELY get it in the trunk. My seats fold down as well. Powering it is a JL 1000/1 Amp. I also have Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 Components powered with a MTX Thunder 502.

Now listen, he told me his amp is 3000W (memphis) he sounds like hes full of sh1t, but he paid like 3 Grand he said just for the amp. Here is the thing, I have sat in his car and it pounded, however, my system hasnt been installed yet, prolly not for another 2 weeks due to Shipping in the mail.

My question is, does it even matter how big his amp is if his Subs can only take a certain amount of RMS before blowing, and also won't my system kick his a$$?

His system is in a eagle talon

Bronze Member
Username: Djet

Melbourne, Florida US of A

Post Number: 23
well.. the w3s have what..300 rms...memphis doesnt make a 3000watt amp, so im guessing he has two 1500s. way too much power. hes gonna blow his subs the minute he turns them loud volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
exactly. he says he blows them but hes under warranty. he thinks it will be louder tho. Am i wrong or what.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 717
no....if he tells you he blows and gets new one's because their under warranty....he full of bull....no manufactuar waranty blowing of subs because of overpowering.

Bronze Member
Username: Thenoose

Post Number: 85
yea only ppl that warranty that are best buy and they dont sell jl

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 719
he will probably get louder than you due o surface area but its hard to tell. you will probably be neck and neck in spl but you will own him in sq. But the reason he may have you in spl because the amount of power he has going to the subs. at what ohm laod does he have the subs wired at on those amps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
but if his system only handles so much it dont matter what amp he has. I heard it will eat these subs. Anyone else

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4003
"My question is, does it even matter how big his amp is if his Subs can only take a certain amount of RMS before blowing, and also won't my system kick his a$$?"

Overpowering won't hurt as long as you're smart about it. It depends on the enclosure. With a sub in a sealed box, it takes less power to get the maximum excursion out of a subwoofer (assuming you're not pushing the ported box below tuning). With a ported box, excursion of the subwoofer is severely limited at tuning by the action of the port. This is an advantage of ported. You can pack more and more power onto the driver when you're around tuning, and keep increasing SPL while still not reaching the mechanical limits of the subwoofer. However, you would still be stressing the subs thermally (heating up the voice coil), so those huge power levels should only be done for a few seconds.

Assuming that amp puts out anything near 3000 watts, and he has a ported box, he could get you by a fair amount in SPL. Plus factoring in the vehicles, small trunks like those in the MX-6 can actually be a disadvantage at times because they tend to cause more cancellation. He has a hatchback, which is another advantage in his favor (typically a BIG one). If his subs are sealed, you and him will start to level out with efficiency per level of power. It depends on the cars themselves, what you are tuned at, the material you both use, and so forth. There are a lot of factors in SPL to take into account, too many to be able to give you a surefire idea of who will be louder than who.

Bronze Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 76
Well said. Can anyone tell me the difference between sq and spl. Its funny, so you can laugh, but no one has ever explained that to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Jon. My car will be fully insulated with 60 SQ ft of Dynamat. I duno i remember a thread and people said it wouldnt compare at all at my subs would kill them. but I was wondering again. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3887
sq=sound quality, spl=sound pressure level

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
bump

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1403
You're probably gonna get wasted by those 15's, especially if they are ported.

I run a pair of 10w3's in a large enclosure @ 28 Hz w/ 250w each and they get louder than I can stand. I can barely hear myself scream when they are cranked. I briefly ran a pair of 10w6v2's at 500w each sealed. They were substantially louder(and cleaner) than the 10w3's sealed, but only slightly more than the 10w3's ported.

Cone area isn't the only advantage those 15's have. The 12w6v2's actually have slightly less Xmax than the 15w3v2's as well(16.5 mm vs 17.1). Power handling doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't use it. Your w6's will probably sound a whole lot better, but thats about it.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2434
just for comments sake im gonna bet on the 12 w 6 v2's.....let me know who wins

Gold Member

Post Number: 2435
i say he beats him in sq and spl but well see

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Damnit. But it sounds like my system is better

Its gonna be fully insulated which should give me more bass at least minus the rattling

I have 800WATTS going with a JL 1000

Also the box is made for JL w6v2 specs but its PORTED

Also my seats fold down.

I think I will run him for his money Fishy. Because I own 2 12 w3v2 and his system isn't incredibly louder then mine.

Any other comments fishy? I would just think mine should be louder. He had a point, his will be louder on some bass tones then mine and vice versa

My will be cleaner I guess

Gold Member

Post Number: 2436
where are your w6's ported at? frequency wise

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1393
I just got my box for a single 12w6v2 / ported 1.5 cubic feet tuned to 32hz. Just going with the single setup for SQL system. I went from 2 sealed and now gonna test 1 ported.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
sean, How do i figure that out. The box was made for me. I could call in and find out. The guy works in the back building boxes and dealing with car audio all day. I'm sure he tuned it for optimal proformence.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2437
real life experience where i thoought you had the box size at wave form etc and the fact the 15 w3's arent gonna handle that power he has well ill bet on it

Gold Member

Post Number: 2438
oh i thought you asked me how i figured on the comparison

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Sean, they dont handle the power he blows them anyways. I have the box in my car just not installed. I duno, I still think I'm right. I'm not as smart but to say hes gonna blow me out of water I think not. Any other observations sean, etc.

Maybe I will have him on the SPL indicator but I duno. We will see I suppose

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Sean. That too, I was interested in.

Bronze Member
Username: Saustin1988

Post Number: 16
haha Tay i also have 2 12"w6v2's in a ported box built specifically for the subs, and im about to have a PG X 1200.1 so we have about the same set up sub wise. Mine was in a bronco but is going into my hatchback focus soon. I deffinatly think you'll have the edge on him

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
ya. we'll see thanks for responding back guys. Interesting comments. It sounds 50/50

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 157
anyways yours will be loud and sound better, if his bumps harder it only means theres more racket to ruin the music, I rather be in your car bumping it then his

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
haha thanks bro :-)

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 393
there is a phrase i like to qoute - "there is no replacement for displacement"

2-15s vs 2-12s assuming the boxes are made equally and he is getting 300rms watts and u are getting 400-500rms watts he is gonna beat you under pefect conditions. 3 12s dont even have as much surface area as 2 15s. sorry to say it but you are gonna lose and the w3s will not sound bad. they might not be the best sq subs on the market but sq is subjective anyways, there is no true sq meter everyone hears differently

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4044
doesnt that apply to engines too??? lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Alpine, I'd have to disagree, there is other considerations to take in place. His is a custom box which isn't exactly made just for the sound maybe for the looks too, my box is made for these subs but also ported. His subs can only hit a potential of what mine can take before his blows.

I would agree his subs would beat mine, but, thats not to say his will blow and mine won't.

Lots of considerations, it will be tight one thats for sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
update.. he says he has a

2200 rms memphis amp

which one does he have. he said he only has 1 AMP. what is he talking about?

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 43
the memphis mojo is 2000 watts, or he could have two 1100d's and saying he only has one,lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us