HighPass on front comps. no subs.

Freq. out
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, what are the best settings for 1 set of MB DSE216 on the fronts straight from the HU with no subs or amps..currently have them on full range position. HU is Alpine9831.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 115
full-range should work unless you are playing music with bass at loud levels.

try the lowest setting that doesn't sound bad. if you get clipping or any bad noises, try the next higher setting.

Freq. out
Unregistered guest
Thanks man.
I know how the HU causes clipping at too high a volume..but would having them on fullrange cause any harmful side-effects?

Silver Member

OH USA

Post Number: 116
if you hear any noises that aren't music, then yes it's bad. when you overload a speaker, it is pretty noticeable - and it can cause damage with enough power.

fullrange is probably okay with only a head unit powering the speaker, but if you hear any clipping or signs of overdriving, it's time to engage the high-pass filter.

when using an amp, you definatly need to use the high-pass. it's just too much power to be throwing at a set of midwoofers.

but don't use a crossover if you don't need to. if your components can handle the bass, that's a good thing. some speakers can, and it sounds great when you can have the bass coming from up front.

you need to do some careful listening to figure this out. pick some tracks with demanding material (hip-hop and R&B have lots of bass, also rock with kick drums like greenday). good luck.

Silver Member

OH USA

Post Number: 117
oh, i didn't mean to imply that the crossover is something you turn off and on or change constantly. once you find the right setting, leave it alone. it's finding the right setting that requires a bit of listening and experimentation.

Freq. out
Unregistered guest
Excellent..thanks for the help Aaron. Much appreciated.
Later man.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7354
I'd set fronts to 125Hz HPF, 12dB/octave Q

Freq. out
Unregistered guest
Glass, 125hz HPF with or without an amp?
At 125Hz, i'd be missing alot of the bass coming thru the mid-range..since i dont have a sub :-(
But i guess that would be the safest setting..
The HU as 3 preset HPF: 80, 125 and 150 if remember correctly..Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us