WANTED: an education on car security systems

edster922
Unregistered guest
I recently moved back to Civilization (i.e. from suburbia to a gradually-Yuppifying urban area) and was told by some neighbors that car burglaries are the main crime problem in this neighborhood, and that just having that little flashing LED light on the dash would be enough to deter the typical young blood out looking for drink/date money. Since our 2 cars are pretty downscale (04 Camry, 01 Nissan pickup) I doubt any real professional thief would bother with them.

So, my questions:

1. If the visual deterrent might be enough, does anyone know of any company that makes decoy alarms, you know basically a cheap little LED light box you stick on your dash?

2. If I decide to go for a real alarm, are there any particular makes and models you'd recommend that would be reliable and reasonably priced? The systems I've seen at crutchfield.com and amazon.com are all around $100, I've seen others (Viper) advertised at Best Buy and Circuit City for $100-200 but that probably includes install, which I'd rather not do myself.

3. What level of security is adequate for relatively low-risk cars like mine? What features would you say are essential and which are superfluous?

4. How can I minimize the risk of getting something that goes off for no reason all the time? I've always found those especially annoying.

thanks,
Eddie

Username: Erus37

Hollywood, Fl USA

Post Number: 3
1 YOU STILL HAVE TO INSTALL THE LED TO A CONSTANT, SWITCHED, AND GROUND

2. VIPER WILL NOT BE INSTALLED FOR 100 DOLLARS, RHODES COMPLETE AUTO RADIO HAS AN AUTOPAGE ALARM FOR 99.95 INSTALLED IT HAS A 4 OUT OF 5 STAR RATING SPEAKING FROM EXPIERENCE AS AN INSTALLER FOR 18 YRS

3.ANY CAR IS A RISK TO HAVE SO IF YOU GO WITH SOMETHING MAKE SURE ITS WHAT U LIKE AND DONT THINK THAT BEING CHEAP IS THE ANSWER

4.DONT HAVE SENSETIVITY SET TO HIGH AND HAVE THEM PLACE THE SHOCK SENSOR ON THE STEERING COLUMN FOR BETTER RESPONSE

YOUR WELCOME
ERUS37

edster922
Unregistered guest
Mike,

What do you think of this Clifford, $250 installed?

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&User_ID=5790970&st=1034&st2=5 0063210&st3=-67258505&Product_ID=54255

Cartoys also has two other Clifford, $400 and $550...are they worth all the extra dough?

Bronze Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 96
Clifford is a very good car alarm. Any of the three would be a good bye. IMO Well worth the extra doe.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Jeremy,

Do you think it's worth it to pay extra for a proximity sensor? My wife likes the idea of it deterring someone from even trying to break in, I'm worried it'd be prone to go off for no reason (stray animals nearby, pedestrians, etc.).

Username: Racer

Post Number: 5
i have the proximeity sensor fitted to my car and it has neva picked up stray animals, it will pick up people if they get 2 close but atleast its a warning to any would-be theives hanging around, its also a good idea if u got any type of bodykit, as i fond ont with my vtr

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 194
I am not a big fan of prox sensors. However they do acomplish their set goals. In your case I would stay without. The main reason you want an alarm is to keep someone from steeling your car, not trying to remove high dollor rims, or a body kit as in phllip's case. I have also seen many cases were prox sensors can become a nusance. Especially in low end car alarms.

Gargantaun
Unregistered guest
I have found that careful installation of the car alarm is twice as important as the brand when it comes to actually protecting the car. If some installer rushes the job and pops the system in in an hour or so, you can be sure that the potential thief will easily locate and defeat the system. Be sure to insist on a stealth install if you want real security.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us