Need a good head unit with line-in

Sam Hulick
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a decent head unit with line-in. Basically, my requirements: AM/FM/CD, with a line-in jack. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 371
Whoa Sam, you won't find too many HU with line in jack. The ones that offer it cost some dough. JVC's KD-DV5000 HU comes with DVD/MP3 and dts, dolby digital with optical output. You'll need to buy an adaptor for line-in connector.
Otherwise, you might be looking at some expensive units.

Sam Hulick
Unregistered guest
Damn! All I wanna do is plug my iPod mini into my car stereo without using a cassette adapter. Any suggestions? No do-it-yourself solutions.. I am nowhere near handy as far as taking stuff apart and putting it back together.

Silver Member

Post Number: 374
Ok then you have another choice. Get a RF FM transmitter adaptor. They sell it for $30. It'll accept any input source. All you have to do is turn your radio to a certain station to hear it.

Sam Hulick
Unregistered guest
Thanks, but I've heard at least a dozen negative reviews on FM transmitters. The cassette adapters actually better quality. FMs can get fuzzy, and in some places, the radio stations will creep into the station you're using for the iPod.

Sam Hulick
Unregistered guest
OK here's an option I think might work. Some iPod solutions let you plug the iPod into your head unit's CD changer port. My factory stereo has CD changer support. How does this setup work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Hey Sam, the RF FM transmitter should work well as long as you buy a decent one.
I haven't personally used any CD adaptor but if you can find one and works, then all the power to you.
The best thing is always to test it out yourself. If I listened to everyone's negative advices, I wouldn't bought anything.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Alpine has an iPod adaptor at crutchfield.com. It only works with new Alpine decks and is a small aluminum box that converts the i to the deck. Sweet! It's under a hundred too I think.
My Nakamichi CD400 has an aux-in, but I don't know if that works for the ipod. NAPPY

Bronze Member
Username: Vtdakotaguy

VT United States

Post Number: 21
If you have a newer Alpine you could spend the extra $50 on this and connect seceral other devices. You won't be able to control the iPod through the deck, but from what I have heard most people are not really impressed with the interface. Using the iPod itself is much faster any way.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MctdjeM6782/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=500KCA410C&cc=01 &search=kca%2D410

LM

Bronze Member
Username: Kev7706

Post Number: 12
Check out the up-and-coming Monster iCruze. It is a much better quality connection than an FM transmitter and can connect to any head unit's CD changer or satellite radio port, unlike Alpine's solution. It will display id3 tags on your head unit's display. The only downside is the initial $200 price tag. Hey, you have to pay for quality.

Here's a link w/ a photo:
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C3384/

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
THat is off the hook! thanks.

Unregistered guest
WHAT? Many head units have line in capabilities! You can get an adapter to get any Alpine head unit to accept an RCA input. I use the PIE model with the AI-net pass-through. Many other brands of HUs either come with a line in built in or need an adapter. Don't waste your time with an FM transmitter! Even cheap Aiwa decks have a front mounted line-in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us