HELP! I fear i have made a terrible mistake! urgent help needed

Username: Fatshim

Post Number: 1
if you are reading this please give me some urgent advice.
i have just purchased a jvc gz-mg30 and i dont really know anything about camcorders. i only bought it really because of the 30gb hard drive and i found it for a bargain price. it is still in the post. it has only 0.8 megapixel ccd and i dont know whether that will produce good quality video. i only need it for homevideos and just making random films. i dont need anything that good i just want to know whether that will produce a good enough quality of film. will you please explain to me about how the megapixel level affects video as i only know about it in relation to regular still cameras and a good photo needs at least four megapixels so thats why im freaking out. hopefully you can reasure me!
should i return it when it comes!
(please say no i ordered it on the internet)
help meeeee!Upload

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4682
You did fine.

It will produce a good video for home use and random films. You read too much into reviews and technical read outs. That fact is driven home by making an erroneous statement that "a good photo needs at least four megapixels". I have never heard of a sillier statement.

A good photo is something that you will cherish and always look at because it was well done and it involes the feeling that you had whne it was taken. You do not look at a photograph and say " wow that was taken by a minimum of 4 megapixel camera".

Same thing with video, would you watch "Gigli" just because it was filmed in HD?

Don't freak out, relax and concentrate on why you purchased the camera. To preserve memories, and if it can do so effectively, then it would have done its job. Your need for assurances from total strangers is quite disturbing:-)

Post Number: 2
thank you i really needed that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4689
LOL!
Enjoy your new camcorder.

Post Number: 3
thank you.
also, i understand your philosophy about memories which i think is an extremely valid and true statement. but, purely out of interest does a 0.8 megapixel ccd provide relatively good quality video?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4691
It will provide a relatively good quality video. Not suitable for great quality stills but works great for video.

Unregistered guest
I am not a techie person. I am going to buy my first camcorder. I have zeroed in on Sony DCR-TRV285E which is Digital 8 format for obviously cost reasons.

Can kind techies like Berny tell me :-

(i) Would I be able to burn CD from this camcorder?
(ii) If yes, would it be fine if I use USB ports or will I require Firewire( I am surprised I can use this term)
(iii) Would I require any additional hardware / SW ( I have a P4 2.4 GHz machine with 52X CD burner)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us