Simple 2 ohm Sub Wiring Question

Lindsey Carriere
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I decided to buy two Phoenix Gold Xenon 12" X12D2 subs... they are 500RMS @ 2ohm subs.

Whats the simplest way to wire these to my Alpine MRD-M1001 amp (1000watts RMS @ 2ohm, 500 RMS @ 4ohm) to ensure there is only a 2ohm load on the amp?

I'm fairly new but as far as I understand, wire the dual voice coils on each sub in series, thus each sub has 4 ohm load on the amp, then wire the two subs together in parallel to reduce the entire load back to 2 ohm.

Am I correct or should it be done another way?

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 135
Check this site out, I think it will answer your questions. But yes, you can wire both those subs up to get a 2ohm load out of that amp.
Look at the link.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-Szr6cWT7FJK/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC2x2

Lindsey Carriere
Unregistered guest
LoL, thanks, I just actually saw the post to the rockfordfosgate wiring wizard and checked for myself.

Thank god I told my bro to get the D2's and not the D4's... I thought you might be able to get 2ohm load on two 4ohm DVC's but you cant.

Thanks anyway bro.

Oh, should the amp be running at 100%? I mean, don't you usually wanna run subs at 80% of their max... they are 500RMS subs, but the amp will be putting 1000RMS at 2 ohm (thus 500RMS per sub right?) or should we just run it at full?

What is the general rule of thumb on that?

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 284
The general rule is you turn your HU up to 3/4 volume. With the gain on the amp starting all the way down slowly turn the gain up until the sound level matches the HU. The subs will be getting the rated power in watts no matter what the gain is set as. I think you'll be fine with that amp and thos subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us