10s vs 12s and a Dynamat question

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 187
I've hooked my MTX 801d up to my Polk DB10 (rated 300w RMS) It's a SVC 4ohm sub in a .66 Cu ft. sealed box. The damn thing finally hits now that I have a good amp hooked up to it (gain at 1/2). But I do notice at the lower frequencies it tends to drop off (maybe that's what everyone refers to as roll off).

My question is what is it exactly that you gain from moving up to a 12". Asside from the obvious, bigger area moves more air, more SPL.
Does the 12 have the ability to play those lower frequencies where my 10 seems to drop off? Also it drives me freaking nuts, from one song to the next I have to adjust the sub output from the deck because 1 song has more bass or the next doesn't. Is that just the same crap that everyone else has to deal with ?

Also, Dynamat? Is that something that's fairly easy to do yourself? Will it stop all that plastic"y" stuff from rattleing.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 331
too much bass boost or amplifier gain turn your amp gain way down and bass boost then turn your head unit 3 quarters to the max volume it can go also a really snall box is going to hit harder with more power but you lose the low frequecies

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
oh when you do the gains low and have it at that volume then tune the gains just before distortion

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 189
Problem is my car has stock speakers. Alpine HU goes from 0 to 35 volume. At 18 it's pretty damn loud and $hit starts to distort. So, in my case I can't go 3/4 of the way.....but I'll try turning the gain down some.... and the bass boost...we'll see. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
i got the alpine hu too (9805) dont use the mx feature and if you highs are on there own amp you should be able to go as high as 24 on the volume maybe 25 if not and your using your head unit for your highs id guess 19 max
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us