Speakers Making Distorted Noises Dont Know Why Need Help

Username: Leo

Post Number: 1
I have two polk momo 12 inch subs hooked up to a 1200 watt amp they really kick but my problem is my other speakers i had stock one then i replaced them with some 6 by 8 alpines which were considered really nice by reviews but when i crank them up the speakers cant even handle the volume so they distort now maybe they can and maybe there is a why to fix the distortion if anyone has any ideas great otherwise does anyone know of a way i can turn my front and back speakers down but have my subs the same (withouit really messing with treb and fade setting ive tryed that and i do have the amp hooked up for biggest bass). If anyone can help me thanks a ton in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1117
6x8s distort quicker than round speakers because of the oval cone, they have uneven stress points, cone flex at high volumes, etc. You also may be driving them into clipping, especially if you're powering with a head unit. You're better off with a 6.5" coaxial or component set and a good amp to push them. There really isn't a way to turn them down other than get a head unit or preamp with sub level control.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us