High volume distortion (beginner)

Username: Arloh

Post Number: 1
I recently installed new speakers into my car (my first install) when wiring them up I just stripped the wires already in there and wired those to the new speakers (Kenwood 6.5 and 6x9)

my problem is that at high volumes, 30 out of 35 I get really bad distortion and at high volumes of 25 out 35 on bass heavy songs the vocals are fairly distorted.I have a kenwood head unit, that was installed when I got the car. I am trying to make the sounds system professional and crisp as possible and I understand the basics of amps and things of that nature but I was wondering if the wiring would be having an effect or the head unit or if it's just that I need an amp for the speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1882
Yes man you need an amp, the average HU put out only about 14W true power (RMS/channel) despite their claims of 40W, if you listen to heavy bass stuff you need a sub, your vocals will sound clean and bass powerful and deep through the sub.

These days it can be pretty simple and inexpensive to do these upgrades.

Username: Arloh

Post Number: 2
So my knowledge of amps is shakey at best, what would be the best amp set up at this point for just 4 speakers? do I use 2 amps one for the front and one for the back? my 6.5 are rated for 50w and my 6x9 rated for 80w

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1883
This is really nice sounding and inexpensive 4 channel amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_67852_MB-Quart-OA600.4.html

There is a 5 channel version that supports a sub, if you listen to rap and other low tuned stuff you will really need it.

Username: Ajaydas

Post Number: 1
Sound may get distorted if we use low power speaker wattage. if kenwood car audio outputs 50W per channel and if you speaker is not designed to 25 watt rms, the sound get distorted. The speaker wattage should be chosen based on the power of AMPLIFIER

Second thing is Impedence matching of AMP and Speakers to be reviewed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us