Dont like my 6x9's should I swith them or go 6-1/2 ",,,,,,,,,

Username: Kendog1985

Post Number: 1
I currently have kappa 6x9's in my Dodge Charger. They are powered by a 6 channel jl audio 600 watt amp. I don't like my highs and when the volume is turned up the speakers start to distort. I'm currently thing about getting the kappa's or another set of 6x9's. I have also flirted with the idea of changing my speakers to 6-1/2". What 6x9 speakers would you recommend? Or if you think I should go 6- 1/2" what 6-1/2' speakers do you recommend? My friend had some alpine s -type speakers for cheap. He said they sounded better then the r-types.

Last but not least I have a sub so I'm concerned about clarity not bass!

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1114
Ok welcome, some people dislike 6x9s but not because they distort when the volume is too high, just don't like their sound at any level.

If you just don't like the sound because of the distortion you hear at high volume then changing your speakers for any other speakers is not going to help and the reason is that your amplifier is most likely improperly set up. Here is a simple setup procedure from an amplifier manual (different brand but it's the same):

Upload

The gain they are talking about is a knob found in your amplifier, you need to read the manual of your amplifier.

Anyhow if you just want new speakers I could provide some suggestions.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14579
gain may be set too high, you may be overpowering those speakers, and you should be using a high-pass filter on them set to 80-120Hz range, at least a Q of 12dB, and no bass boost.

if you have the 6x9s running an open low end with no filter, they are most likely bottoming out.

Post Number: 2
When I run the high pass filter on them there is no bass line and the speakers sound flat. What's the best way to set up speakers. All I want is crisp high's and low's.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1163
Well, now you are concerned about bass, hi-pass them at 60Hz no more and add a 10" subwoofer low pass it at 60Hz.

Many of the problems with 6x9s comes from bass being played through them, once the sub handles the bass everything sounds powerful and clean.

Post Number: 3
I would like to thank you guys for the information. I set my Hi Pass Filter at 60hz and turned up the gains. My highs and mids sound
Crisp.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us