3-way speaker problems

j-son howie
Unregistered guest
while i was driving my truck i noticed that all of a sudden the high sounds changed. the treble, im assuming around 10kHz went really really dull. i have a pair of 3-way RF 6x9s, and i was wondering if the tweeters on them can go out without the woofer and "big tweeter" going out. sorry i dont exactly what everything is called, but to me it sounds as if only 2 of the 3 speakers are working.

another thing i was wondering is if it might be the amp. i find it weird that both speakers had the tweeters go out. is it possible for the amp to stop playing the high notes? i have it set on a high pass filter around 200Hz. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 274
There's a very good chance (99.9%) you blew the tweeters. Yes, it can absolutely happen without the other drivers being affected.

It's not likely to be any other component.

Sorry.
-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 821
You could have blown the tweeters. In a system, tweeters are usually the quickest to blow, especially if you drove the amp into clipping. If you're running the speakers off a head unit that is most likely the problem. The fact that coaxials have poor shallow slope crossovers adds to the capability of blown tweeters. How loud were you listening to it? If an amplifier stops playing, it won't be within a specific bandwidth because the transistor handles all frequencies, not just high notes, it's mainly either all or nothing.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 822
Oops, didn't refresh before seeing your reply, sorry Matt.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 275
No worries -- better to have two concurring replies than just me saying "you're SOL".

-Matt

ps- you still need to get in touch with me :-)

j-son howie
Unregistered guest
i appreiciate it guys. the speakers are still under warranty so ill just go get new ones. thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us