Squeaking speaker cone

Username: Raddellee

Post Number: 1
I recently connected up a amp to my Alpine coaxial 3-way speaker system or 6 by 9" and it sounded amazing for a day, the next day though the left speaker developed a horrible squeaking sound. I thought part of the high range bit must have blown up. so i took the speaker out and as i push gently down on the main speaker cone it makes a horrible squeaking sound? i tried it on the other speaker but it was soundless. How do i fix this problem? im thinking something has fallen into the speaker? od do i just wd40 it?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13954
you blew the speaker. damaged voice coil.
good job

Post Number: 2
Is there anyway to fix it or do i have to replace it?
Im pretty upset. lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13955
Well for a 6x9, you just replace the driver. Rebuilding and re-coning it would be cost prohibitive.
Speakers blow typically for two reasons
1. you had the gain on teh amp cranked up too far, and caused the output of the amplifier to clip, which thermally damaged the voice coil.
2. your amplifier draws more current than the car's charging (electrical) system can supply, which again, caused the amplifier to clip and thermally damage the coil.

sorry

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13956
Oh, if you have a multimeter or VOM, you can test the DC resistance of the coil between the speaker terminals when its disconnected from the amp. it should read around 3.6 ohms. If its an open circuit, the coil is shot.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15167
raddellee

How can you repair a burned coil with Wd-40?

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1859
I'm assuming he thinks the wd-40 will fix the squeaking noise. Which in this case, it will not as the driver itself is damaged. Best to have the driver replaced. Not worth to fix as already stated.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15175
Hi Mr. Skullz!

I suggested on a other thread 3 days ago to put Wd-40 on membrane and surronding to rehydrate a old subwoofer which I use sometimes then I see it here.

Is it jokers from Home Audio forum???

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help guys,
Idk what wd40 would have done. I assumed something was grinding together.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14047
the voice coil wire winding had separated and frayed, so the copper wire was scraping on the former and inside of the magnet structure. There's no easy fix for that, and it requires re-coning the driver, which in the case of a 6x9, would cost about twice as much as just replacing the unit with a new speaker all together.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us