1999 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe

Username: Dragonslayer399

Post Number: 1
Can I put a new 4olm car stereo into my car. I know that at least the back stock speakers are 8olm.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 19
Yes you can, you will just have a lesser maximum power than 4 ohm speakers,

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5340
For what it's worth, you might not even want to hook up the rear speakers.

Check this out for more info: http://glasswolf.net/papers/rearfill.html

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 20
Jexx, I guess it all comes down to your likings, to me systems based only in seperates on the front and subs on the back many times have subpar midbass performance. Besides people on the back are left out without some kind of rear fill.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5386
Yeah, it is largely a thing of taste. But I think it's good for people to be aware that rear speakers are not always mandatory (and in some cases not even desirable).

I admit, I'm running a Dolby Pro Logic system in my car at the moment, which effectively makes the rear speakers into midbass drivers with the occasional echo effect like you'd encounter in a concert hall.

In my car/system before that, I even had two 8" woofers under the front seats acting as midbass drivers to get that extra kick out of tom toms etc. Of course by having well-built kick pods or even front door enclosures for the front speakers mostly eliminates poor midbass performance (such is the case with my current system--I have 3-way dynaudio fronts with 8" woofers)

Additionally, I never had passengers complain about lacking rear speakers in my previous system. In fact often they were surprised to know I was only running fronts. This probably has more to do with the type of vehicle than anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us