Which tool?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 922
Even after no response to my thread in the speakers section I think I'm going to go ahead and start working on enclosures for my doors and rear walls. I went by Lowe's today and priced everything, shouldn't be a huge investment. My question now is, what would be the best tool to use, to cut the openings for the speakers in the enclosures? I was thinking about using a drimmel, with this vertical drill attachment they have for it. Is there something better to use instead? I'm going to take some pictures of how my speakers are now, maybe even a short video. Then I'll take some afterwards for comparison. I'm curious to see how much of a difference this will make toward my mid-bass.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16449
for cutting circle holes in enclosures use a jig saw or a router with a circle cutting jig attachment .....

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1650
I think the drimmel has a circle attachment for smaller holes so that may work well. I have always used a jig saw until i got a circle jig for my router which works 1000 times better.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 923
Upload

Pic of how I have my drivers mounted now. When I first put them in they couldn't be mounted flush to the metal because they were hitting the window. Ended up using some rubbers spacers to help them have a little less mounting depth.

Upload

The space that I have to work with. I figure I can do a box 5 inches by 5 inches, then go as deep as I can. On the front baffle I'm going to make it larger to be able to fasten it to the door. I figure I can use wood around the edge to have it stick out from the door a little.

Upload

Upload

A video of the driver in action.

I ended up rerunning my wires from the crossover box to the tweeter and driver in the doors today. When I first put them in years back I was in a rush to get it done and ran the wires outside the rubber grommet in the door. The wires over time had cut places in them from where they had been rubbing on the frame and what not. I finally ran them correctly, through the grommet and WOW was it a pain.. But they're in there and with new wires all around. I'll start the enclosure building this weekend probably.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 802
grab some 3/4" mdf and make some mounting rings, thats the easiest way to go.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14508
dremel

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23094
We are talking wood right? Dremels are great for some projects but to cut out the hole I've always used the jig saw. Because of their high speed dremels tend to walk off your intended cut line. If you use a circle jig with them it helps tremendously but I still always used the jig saw. A router by far makes the cleanest cut but some don't like the set up time. (Unless you have one dedicated to strictly holes).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us