Console work - Warden Build

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2250
It's been a while since I've updated, I installed the double din in the dash, that's been working good. I figured I'd finish up all the dash work, which really just means installing the XSPower Voltage Control Module.

Pics:
I picked up a spare part I didn't mind messing up, I might do things differently if I'm not happy with this
Upload
Scuffed up
Upload
I couldn't find smoked plexi anywhere locally, and I really wanted to see what I was buying to be in control of the level of darkness.
I used tail light paint to black out 1/8" plexi
Upload
Upload

I used dowel rods to build up the frame a bit with hot glue, I tested it and it holds extremely well for what it is, I can't get it off without using a razor knife and just cutting it.
Upload
Upload

I tested the glue on a scrap piece of plexi, it holds great by itself, I couldn't get it to pop off.
Upload

And the finished product, I didn't notice the hot-glue string I'll have to clean off the plexi- but other than that it's in place.
Upload

I stuck my phone behind it to give an idea of how the display of the module will still be visible when the car is on- just enough to see it without being irritating at night.
Upload
Upload

I'm still not sure if I may 'glass this thing in place instead, I'm going to fit this in my truck and see how I like the look of it. Any opinions welcome- I'm debating if I like this or not.

I cleaned up the plexi and installed the piece, without the module just to check it.
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16337
good job ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2252
Thank you. It was extremely easy, I'm just debating if I should paint the cig lighter cover and ash tray to match the dash and make a connection between the two matching dash pieces. My 70 year old mom told me she thought it came factory like it is, but I don't know. I just want it to look clean and factory.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5317
I got some smoked lexan if your interested.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2253
How much? I only need like 3" x 6" or so.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5320
for you, just postage. Let me see if i can find a link of a pic of it.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5321
This is a link to the build.
Its a very lite tint.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/564964.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 2254
Great build there. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but that is quite a bit more translucent than I need. I'd probably need to double it up or add paint, so I'd be where I am now.

Thanks a lot for the offer though- I'll probably buy a piece I saw on one website for like 3 bucks, I just wanted to get this done, and I can always redo it quickly.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5323
yea, no problem.
I got like a 3'x5' piece i may or may not ever use.
Plus some left over cuts from my box.
Btw, looking good on your project.

Another thought, is get clear and throw a piece of window tint on it. like 5% limo or 20%
Fast easy and cheap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2255
I considered the tint, but I'm afraid of cheap tint fading. I was considering paying a local tint shop for a small scrap piece but honestly I like the way this looks so far. If it doesn't work out that is my next choice though.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14255
good thought on the tint fading

Gold Member

Post Number: 2270
I was on my way out of state yesterday and happened to get lunch next to a competition. I stopped in for a minute to meter since I wont be buying a t/l for a few weeks.

The guys there were nice enough to let me meter without paying full price to enter the show so that was really cool. I felt like an a5s having to pull beside the lanes and remove my luggage from my port/box. I'm there hauling a trailer with tractor parts and a 4wheeler through this comp lol.

Anyway, I couldn't turn up the volume much at all before the amp went into protect I just couldn't keep my voltage up with the one alternator enough to run the amp as low as I have it.
I did 151.6 @ 42hz
and 151.0 @ 32hz

There's a lot more left in it, but much below 13v and the amp protects. I metered, went back to eat my lunch, and stopped back and was awarded 1st place. I was only there 15-20 minutes but it was great to go to a show.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 543
thats amazing.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5326
Lol, So you happen apon a show, stay for 15-20 minutes, compete with a half finished system, take 1st and leave.
Way to make friends and impress ppl.
Good job.
PPl must have been like "whos this hick with the trailer and tractor stuff?"
Then watch thier jaws drop as you walk away with 1st. lol.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 550
it was like a very awkward drive by for car audio.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 203
lol, thats awesome

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 423
lol,Now thats bada$$!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2272
Thanks! It's not a great score but like you mentioned I think I'll gain the 1.5db I'm looking for in the electrical upgrades, then I can work on the box since it's just mdf slapped together.

Marc, it was a bit awkward and I wish I could have stayed to talk to folks lol. There were some nice looking cars, ranging from bagged s10s to restored classics, but I just got a glimpse.

If I hosted a competition in Myrtle Beach, no official organization but maybe like a grill-out + free termlab runs for forum members would anyone be near the area any time this summer? Maybe a month from now I'll have the means to do something like this if I could get enough people to go.

I was thinking about small awards/trophies with classes set up by vehicle type and cone area/power.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 555
i would love to come and maybe talk to you and glasswolf in person. maybe get some pointers after you see my set up i am about to redo ~60% of my set up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2273
Sure thing, also anyone looking for a weekend at the beach or something in the area I can get cheap rates at a local hotel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2278
I did some alt work 2 days ago and I'm just now putting up some pics. I bolted in the bracket and it fits good other than 3 spacers needing trimmed some. Then the 127.25" belt was too short so I bought a 136.5 I'm going to try tomorrow.

If things fit good I'll be getting this bracket made asap, if not I'll be redesigning or buying smaller pulleys.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2279
Also the bracket will be black, I'm thinking I'll put a really simple logo on it, something like this:
Upload
Any thoughts?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 601
sexy

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1217
I think that looks very clean and factory. If you can still clearly read through the tint without it being obnoxious then thats a great idea.

And props on the win haha thats pretty funny.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2280
I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I wanted to put the logo on the bracket itself. There's a huge flat area that will look sort of empty without something I think, that was just an idea.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 866
That's really awesome how you took first place in the competition. Your system is going to be beast once you get the bracket made and installed. Those 4 alts look sexy.

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 57
Troy, I've got a 21" warden coming. should be here anyday. If I may, how big is your box, and tuning on it? I'm just going to do 1 in my tahoe for now with a rf3000.1bd and if I like the results I'll probably order another one. Thanks for any info on the warden.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2281
The box is 15 feet net with 36 hz tuning. If you have the space for it I wouldn't hesitate to do bigger with that power, I was thinking about giving them more box and port area. I believe I have about 200 square inches, though it may be more I can't remember right now.

Okay, it may not seem like much but this is another 2-3 hours of work today. End result is I'm ready to have this bracket machined! I'm in bunches

Figured out the location of the pulleys to get good tension.
Upload

That line represents a 90 degree bend in the metal on the real bracket.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Belt wrap?
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
id'e be really pleased with how that turned out if i were you. that looks great!

good job man, be sure to post pics of the machined bracket when it gets done. again great job, 3 thumbs up.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 868
That set up looks amazing. Great work.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22946
How the hell did I miss this thread? As always way to think, plan and execute.

Then again we expect nothing less from ya lol.

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 58
Thanks troy! Btw: looks great I wish I had a 10th of your skill.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2282
Thanks everyone. I'll probably clean the template up today, then run it down to the shop tomorrow to get them to start working it up.

Damn Paul, I thought I was getting by because people had low expectations ;)

perfectcircle, thanks, but I really don't have that much skill. Most people could do this, it's just intimidating at first and time consuming. Btw, do you like the band perfectcircle, or was it just a random name?

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 61
LOVE perfect circle. Huge Tool fan also. I wouldn't even begin to tackle those alts. looks fantastic though. I would have my tahoe on the back of a flat bed headed to my mechanic, cause there is no way I could get it to run after I started tearing it up.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 423
Troy, amazing work as always. The dash looks great and it does look very clean, like that setup was a factory option or something. And i can't wait to see that alternator bracket finished and some TL scores.

Keep up the good work

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 181
Looks very well planned and built. Can't wait for upcoming pics of the machined bracket.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2283
Thanks everyone. My wife is in the hospital being induced tonight, so I wont be doing crap for a while. Baby # 2 should be born before noon tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the positive feedback everyone!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22962
Wooooow. Baby brings good luck.

Happy belated Father's day!!!

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 185
Congratulations Troy!

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2354
Nice job man. Like always your sh!t is sick!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14328
nice work troy and congrads on baby #2

Gold Member

Post Number: 2289
Thanks! The baby's great, looks a lot like the first which has turned out cute (I really don't like babies, but kids are cool).

Updates, pics taken yesterday, sorry they're cell phone. I have like 100 to take off my camera:

About to leave the hospital:
Upload

And the older one. The work I was doing outside made the window look dirty as fawk, but she's licking clean glass inside I swear lol.
Upload

Monday I'll be talking to a shop about making the bracket. Hopefully they can start soon. Till then I'll just say trying to do anything with two little kids is amazingly difficult. It took 20 minutes to take the alts and pulleys off the bracket because my daughter kept stealing my wrenches when I'd set them down lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14354
lol get plenty of rest my man........you no how demanding the babies are when they first come home

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 960
Very very nice. That takes a lot of know how. Very nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14371
pimp fancy meeting you here haha

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 643
she reminds me of the guy in super troopers that are all the drugs then was in the cop car.

hope you the wife and the new kid do well.

just don't let them touch me, or have a wallet full of pictures of your kids and make me look at them all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2292
deathoob, you will look at my children!
Upload
(I feel so wrong for posting that)

Really thanks though lol. We're getting crap sleep right now. The newborn is having some stomach issues and we've been trying different formulas. Unfortunately just switching formula causes stomach problems so it's going to be bad for a while. living on <4 hours a night since Friday sucks!

Well I got a new table saw, so I'll be building another box soon.
This saw is much nicer than my last one. I actually have a huge stationary saw, but the fence sucked on it and this one is AWESOME.
Upload
This saw, Ridgid R4510:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4510-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23045
Nice! Cute kid.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2293
Thanks Paul, she has her moments. BTW I realized a lot of people start a build log with a bunch of mdf piled up, that plywood is for some flooring I'm doing, not a box lol.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3829
Looks like a nice saw.. How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

I agree with paul...cute kid. She looks like my little cousin, same dark eyes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2295
Thanks man, my wife has brown eyes, I have lighter blue eyes, so I guess she got a mix, both kids seem to have very dark blue/hazel eyes. When I was little I was a pedophiles dream, blonde hair blue eyes lol. Now that I'm older my hair is much darker and I'm ugly as sin.

The saw ended up being just over 500 after tax, which was 150 less than the bosch saw I was considering, and 150 more than the Dewalt I also liked. After using the Dewalt with it's rack and pinion rail system (which was nice) I liked the Ridgid better. The Dewalt was a bit more accurate (1/32") for small cuts, but when you brought it out to it's full width the rail just didn't line up straight from front to back. The Ridgid has 8 inches more cutting width (like 26 compared to 18 I think) and stays very straight even with the table extended all the way out. For me being able to rip a full sheet of mdf of plywood in half is a big plus.

The Bosch was really close but I liked this a bit better.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3830
Thats a pretty good price man. Have fun with it.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 184
Just wanted to say congrats man. Cute kids. Very beautiful and clean build. Good luck!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16421
hey how study is that funky frame that saw comes with ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2297
Thanks again.

Rovin, I'd rate it at least 9 out of 10. I've used saw horses with a table saw before and this is much better. It feels almost like a solid steel frame, but the adjustable height feet take away from that because they are soft plastic or rubber. They just give it a little play if you know what I mean.

It's the best frame I've used on a portable table saw, and after putting my weight on it (about 175) and it didn't wobble as much as my solid oak kitchen table does when I stand on it -> (My wife burns dinner occasionally and the smoke alarm is above the table lol.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2306
I dropped the bracket off for auto cad and laser cutting. I'll know prices tomorrow.

If anyone is interested, the more I buy the better price. I buy one, test, and offer group buy or presale pricing on dual, triple, or quad brackets for 01 tahoes. We're talking like 1/2 the price of buying from a huge company, with all of the quality.

Anyone thinking about upgrading speak up as soon as possible, I'll be posting pictures as soon as I have a first run of things in my hands. The more people buy, the cheaper my costs for my personal bracket, so speak up guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
how bought for an 01 jeep cherokee sport? but than again i'm pretty sure u couldn't even fit 2. unless it replaces the stock a/c.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 779
i need something for my Camry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2308
If anyone was local I could help out, but I don't have access to those vehicles to make something Maybe if I ask around I could borrow one if you guys were serious.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 780
would depend on cost i would haft to add a second one and have it clear my engine exzost <<< yeah i cant spell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2317
I did some work on my dash, so I figured it would be more appropriate in this thread.

I didn't like the way the last dash bezel turned out- it had a weird texture and the humidity caused it to orange peel when I painted it. I bought a new one and painted it in a vacant house- temp and humidity controlled.

Same stuff, but it was tedious work taping things off so I'm posting it. As soon as the alt bracket is done I'll finish the console to fit the VCM and have pics.

I've considered other colors/smooth but I want things to look factory.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2318
I realized I skipped a few steps. I used vinyl prep spray and scuffed things up with 600 grit sand paper before painting.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 248
Looks good. Nice job.

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 109
man i cant wait till i get older and have a steady income because the stuff you guys all do is just completely sick man some of the best work ive seen in a car that wasnt done by professionals

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 910
yah troy does some amazing work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2323
Thank you! Man, honestly this whole dash swap thing was very affordable. The scrap plexi was waste, but you can get a piece for like 10 dollars. 10 more for the paint, and 30 more for a junk-yard console so you don't have to alter yours and you only have 50 bucks in parts.

The dash was 40 dollars, the cage was another 10-20, the spacers were 5, and the paint/tape was 20. All together I didn't spend more than 150 on the whole deal. Now the double din itself I don't count because you need a h/u anyway, right?

I appreciate the compliments though, I try to make things look good when I can. My wife never has anything good to say about my work so the compliments I get online are all that keeps me going

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 935
my girl was reading the forums with me when she read this last post she got this look on her face like she wanted to hug you then bitched that i only have 1 seat in my car atm, then said she supports my bad habits.

but you are a total "roll model" for me any way. i would love to be able to cut a strait line one day.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 936
ignore this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2327
lol, thanks. My wife actually complimented the pics I'm about to post! It took me off guard
The final product:
I got industrial strength velcro. This stuff is no joke, a 1 foot piece of it held over 100 pounds! I'm using large pieces so I have wiggle room to make it look good.
Upload

The module
Upload

Mounting surface
Upload

Velcro in place, ready to adhere
Upload

A little offset to appear centered
Upload

Wiring ran
Upload

And soldering a wire from the steering column.
Upload

The console before powered up.
Upload

Final product
Upload
Upload

There is a way to brighten the display, I might do that in the future because in direct sunlight it's a bit dark. At night it's perfect though, so I'm not sure. When cold my voltage is 15.3, but hot it's 14.8. I'm going to see how it goes and probably increase the voltage to 14.9 or 15 when hot.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 955
thats fing sexy. i can't even put sludge in my car without forgetting its there and sitting in it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2328
lol, thats why I just used spectrum. I still have overspray I haven't had time and been to lazy to clean off. It wipes off paint with a rag, though I wish I had some more secondskin for this truck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15037
nice work again bud

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 579
Just Stellar!

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2274
nice troy. super clean man

Gold Member

Post Number: 2331
Thanks! I turned up the brightness on the module a bit, it's not that different but enough to be more visible during bright sun light with the windows down. It's so dark with the 5 + 20% tint I have it's really only an issue with the windows down, and when giving demos and doing hair tricks that's the fun part

Gold Member

Post Number: 2333
In the video the console is flexing a bit more than I would like

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us