Front comps comparison

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 87
Looking into these components.. Not sure if i'm going to go with a 3-way or 2-way.. Is a 3-way much more complicated? I've been looking at Alpine, Dynaudio, Focal, Morel but they are pretty expensive, DLS, CDT. Looking for great SQ out of my fronts. I will have 2 12 ssa xcons powered by either a saz-3000d or 3500d. I want my comps to be loud but not TOO loud.. Just looking for a good front stage that might blend my system together the best. Any advice will help please. Thanks

1.Alpine Type X SPX-17pro
2.Alpine Type R SPR-17s
3. Dynaudio Esotec 3-way 362
4.Focal 3-way 1653ve
5. Rainbow SLC-365 kick 3-way

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Oh and they will be powered by probably a pdx-4.100 or sax-100.4.. might even go with a pdx-4.150 depends on what comps and how many speakers i have to power

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 196
go with dls, you just cant go wrong with that company, theres a reason they take 1st place all the time at iasca events.
3 ways are a little more complicated, you will need to build pods for them and fit them on your doors properly plus you will be paying more money for it.
when you get speakers that expensive, the speakers have the cabability of sounding absolutely wonderful so wonderful you will sit in your car for no reason at all, but thats all up to the install, if your not familiar with higher end components and how to properly set up your speakers to give you a good soundstage, just stick with 2 ways. dls rainbow and dynaudio are some of the best.
its not going to be too loud, 3500 or more from that sundown more like 4000+ if you have a proper electrial will require your front stage to need to be loud to try to keep up with the subs, but i with that much bass its going to be hard to have a "proper" sounding system, but i can see how you want the best quality possible and your not just throwing in some pioneer 8 way 6x9s haha

if you want quality check out zapco, i would recommend alpine before sundown, ive heard sundown just doesnt have the sq for the price but they are built to last, or even eclipse, eclipse is my new favorite sq amps for the price, but a zapco is a good choice or macintosh. theres others as well but im not too familiar with high end 2 and 4 channel amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Yea i think i am going to stick with 2-ways because of the install difficulty. but i looked up those brands, i can only find amps that are like 500x2 nothing that's around 3000-4000rms..?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 203
well you dont need that much power, tweeters are usually much more sensitive than subwoofers and get louder much more quickly
honestly all you will need is an amp to do 100x2 at 4 ohms, or a little higher like 150x2 but thats quite a bit of power for comps, normally the only reason a component speaker would recommend 150 watts is for the mid bass woofer, just because the mid bass woofer is not as effiecient as the tweeter and the problem most people have in their system is the mid bass
you will want more power for midbass to try to keep your system balenced and sounding better, when people get into running high end speakers they like to do what is called running "active" thats basically ignoring the speakers crossover and using the amps built in crossover to run the speakers, when you do that you will need basically 1 channel for each speaker, so a 2 way would need a 4 channel amp or 2 2 channel amps to run in active, you will run 2 channels for the tweeters, normally you wont need more than 50-75 watts for those to get to volumes that will make your ears ring, and then you 2 channels for the mid bass woofers and thats when you would want to run somewhere around 150 or so to power those.
and of course you would want to filter out the sounds to each speaker, normally car audio tweeters will be crossed over around 4-5K so set up the crossover on the amp to do so, and for the mid bass go from 100hz to 4K hz depending on the octave slope and the speakers recommend crossover frequncies.

it sounds complicated and it can be, but if you are serious about having a high quality sounding system they are very basic things you need to know in order to create a "flat" response
theres many other factors as well but this is just the basic.
but of course your not going to have an even flat response in your stereo due to the huge amounts of power to the sub stage, but using this knowledge you can still create a system that will amaze people will the clean sound your system can create.
sorry to go on and on, i could keep writing for days but i dont want to and i dont want to lose you, car audio and home audio is a very fun hobby, and if you want to stick with it, you will learn especially if you stick around on forums, instead of going to best buy for advice from "professionals"

you can just get advice from an ametuer 21 year old like me haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
So would the alpine mrp-f300 be good for the fronts? But yea i'm 19 i just started really getting into car audio about 6 months ago when i got my car. And i've been reading and searching info about it for about the last 2 months and have learned alot just from the internet. A lot more than what i did before.. But hands on experience conquers all which i hope to be getting into for a long time.. i love bass. lol and good sq. I just want a good sound quality setup because i already had an spl one. i'd rather have better sq for myself not to show off.. but i do like my setups to be loud anyways you know.. But yea thanks for the info keep it coming man haha i enjoy learning new things about this hobby everyday for the first month i was researching i couldn't stop haha it's like i was addicted.. Just want the best setup and knowledge i can possibly get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us