Connecting tweeters questions

Username: K10

Post Number: 5
Hey guys,

I did some research on connecting my tweeters to my four channel amp but I want to make sure everything is correct before installing them so I don't mess anything up...

1) All of my speakers are 4ohm, so I can connect the tweeters in parallel with my two door speakers, thus creating a 2 ohm impedance which is ok because my amp can handle 2ohms as well. But the other two channels on my amp will still be 4ohms. Is this OK? If it is OK, I assume this would be better than connecting the tweeters to my HU?

2) My tweeters have an "in-line -6db/oct. crossover network"... what is this? I'm hoping that it means they have their own internal HP filter so the lower freq. meant for my door speakers don't get to them... is this correct? Or should I be purchasing some crossovers for each of them? (I wish I had just purchased a component setup but whatever)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13809
1. impedance only halves with two speakers in parallel, when both speakers are producing the same frequencies/signal at the same time.
a mid and a tweeter together do not make half the load of one speaker by itself.

2. yes, its a HPF

Username: K10

Post Number: 6
Good to know, thanks.

So about powering the tweeters...

My door mid-ranges are 45 watt RMS. Tweeters are the same. Amp only provides 60 watts RMS per channel.

I assume then that each speaker is only getting 30 watts RMS when together? Would I be better off using my HU to power the tweeters so I can give my door speakers optimal power? How much power is truly needed to get quality sound from a tweeter? What would you personally do given my situation (besides buy new equipment )?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us