Getting hammered by some virus/malware...

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3129
so i'm home on leave using the family computer and ever since i installed avg free 9.0 it just sh!t the bed and it let something vicious through. it wont let me open anything. at all. everything from task manager to paint, just firefox for some reason. it will display a "security warning" saying the file is infected and force close it. also brings up warnings of infiltrations and such, posing as windows software. b@stards really want me to download their anti virus software ironically.

was able to reboot, start task manager immediately, kill the process which was at first a hijacked canon exe and do a complete scan with avg. apparently it did nothing because its back like a g0d damn ninja.. it then hijacked avgcsrvx.exe, which i killed and all was good. seems i have to boot task manager before it starts and find what it clings on to. funny thing is avgcsrvx.exe popped back up but has no problems..

starting to use online scans to see if anything pops up.

any other advice?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3130
well i think i have it under control now. its part of the "antispyware soft" family of spyware. some badass stuff.. took me a good amount of research to diagnose it, currently in removal process.

disregard thread

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13682
boot into safe mode
disable "system restore"
remove all AV software you have installed that isn't from a company you implicitly trust
install AVG again, or something like NOD32, and run a scan and disinfect cycle.
download and install HijackThis, and run it.
press scan, then go through all of the listings one by one, and check every one you don't recognize, and kill them all.

reboot

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 487
be carful with hijackthis, you can do some damage to your self if you use it wrong, and i am likeing NOD32 atm as well glasswolf. killbox if you have trubble deleting a file. clear all temp folders (on all accounts), clear your prefeatch. uninstall any software that you dont need or want, toolbars bull sht games (the kind kids and old people get).

but it sounds like norton was keeping a string of code from running insted of just killing it and thats your problem. there has been many a uninstall of norton that has led to fail.

hope you get it going if not let us know.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13689
the reason for disabling system restore is because viruses can hide in the restore data.

you can re-enable it after cleaning.

on HijackThis, it does have a restore reature to replace any changes if something goes bad, but yeah be careful with it. you're removing registry data with that program. It's highly useful though in removing crap from your startup section.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3131
thanks for all the suggestions. the problem has been taken care of. installed an antispy program which solved it, thew in zonealarm for extra measures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us