Clamshells

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1433
NO, Not Bivalves... I'm talking about boxes.

Anyone have information on them? What is the goal of a clamshell box? Different types? Any information/personal experience would be great. I did some research online, but couldnt find much.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16216
havent really done any research on it but from what i observe its usually shaped from a side view like this >

it seems like they do it that way to hold more subs since it cant fit in a flat 90 degree wall ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1rdGobIE8

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2388
my first wall was like a V wall. it was pretty loud ... idk much about it.. but i have seen a few at comps and they all do really pretty good.. but idk if it has anything to do with it being a clamshell

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2221
^Yeah Honestly I'd hope for 150+ out of any wall, and I've seen good things from clamshells. If you aren't going for 150 + there's no need for a wall. Lately diamonds seem to be all the rage- and there are a lot of 160+ vehicles to prove they work.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2222
To add on- I agree most of the V shaped walls I've seen were only really that way to give more mounting surface area. I've heard people say they offer less cancellation than two walls of subs facing each other, though I can't say from experience (like this: | | ).

I've wanted to build a wall for a long time, but I just can't find a good vehicle in my price range. I'd probably go for 4th order if given the chance.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13283
a clamshell as in an isobaric push-pull design?
honestly no advantage or reason for them at all, except to use two subs in the space for which you only have one.

isobaric boxes are essentially for people with too much money or extra subs, who want to use them instead of letting them collect dust.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5722
^^ ... or in a special application scenario where the object is to throw a narrow horizontal beam, as in pro sound apps where boxes are flown in arrays side by side. And this is almost always done in the mid-bass section anyways.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13296
different acoustics in a studio vs a car cabin, and the application of amplification is very different when you're talking alternating current on very high current circuits and PA amps, vs direct turrent supply in a car, limited by the alternator.. this does have a bearing on the use of isobaric enclosures as well.
I ran 4 8" subs in isobaric in one of my cars for a while, and ran two 12" isovented in a friend's. It works, there are just better ways to use the subs to get more output in the bottom octave.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1434
Thanks for the info guys, So the main thing they are good for is fitting just about as many speakers in an area as possible? I just think they look b@d@$S, basically the only reason I was interested so I wanted to see if there was any benifit before I started thinking about doing one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us