4 ohm or 2 ohm??

Username: Allstar0087

Post Number: 1
i've been looking at getting a pair of Alpine Type R 12s and i noticed that they come in both 4 ohms and 2 ohms, but i'm not sure which one would be the best to use. I'm sure you're going to need more info about my system and the amp i'll be using, but i'm not exactly sure what you need to know, so please just ask. I'm new to this site and pretty new to car audio.
Thanks,
Brian

Username: Flashflood

Post Number: 6
Alpine Type R's come in Dual 2, and Dual 4 ohm configs.
If you get the Dual 2 Ohm version...you
have 3 wiring options, or 3 possible ohm loads
0.5 Ohms, 2 ohms or 8 ohms
If you get the dual 4 ohm version...You have 2 wiring options...and 2 possible ohm loads
1 ohm, or 4 ohms.
Id suggest the dual 4 ohm versions, and Id suggest a mono class D amp, capable of a 1 ohm load.

Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 5
I thought with Dual 4 ohms you can get a 2 ohm load?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 189
Yea do the DVC 4 ohm and then look at hifonics amps which are stable down to 1 ohm. Proably look at the hifonics brutus bx500. That will give you 500 rms at 1 ohm 250 per sub which should be enough but im not sure on the rms wattage on those subs.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 157
Jonez You can get a 2 ohm load with ONE 4ohm DVC sub but not TWO. Like Joe said with two you can get a 1ohm or 4ohm load. And Brian what kind of amp do you plan on using?? You can get your subs in 2+2 or 4+4 depending on what amp you plan use and what kind of load it can handle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Oh yeah if you don't have the amp yet. I would recommend a JBL600.1. And get the type Rs in the 4+4ohm version for a 1ohm load.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the help so far guys. I'm not sure on the amp? I'm looking into the JBL600.1... any other recomendations??
Thanks,
Brian

Post Number: 3
okay, so say i got the JBL600.1 amp and 2 4ohm Type-Rs... would that be a good system to start out with? How would i wire it?
Thanks,
Brian

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 197
Maybe nobody saw my post but if you get the dvc 4 ohm version look at the hifonics bx500.

Username: Flashflood

Post Number: 10
It would be a very good system to start out with.
The JBL 600x1 should work perfect with the 2 300w rms subs.
For wiring...
check out this site...
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp
just plug in your # of subs and their impedences.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Brian go for the JBL you will not be disappointed. Use option #1 on this diagram to get a 1 ohm load and it will hit hard.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC4x2

Post Number: 4
David- I saw your post and i looked at the hifonics, but they were a bit too expensive. Maybe it'd be something i'd upgrade to in the future, but for right now, i dont want to spend that much money. Thanks for the wiring diagrams
-Brian

Bronze Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 51
if u have a sub which is 4 ohm dual voice coil then u need an amplifier which is 2 ohm stable ... if you have 2 subs of 4ohm dual voice coil than you will need a 1ohm stable amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us