12 inch Volfenhag

Anonymous

I just recently bought a boss 2200 watt monoblock amp and was wondering if it would be good on two 12 " comp volfenhags im looking to buy. And is volfenhag any good so far everbody said there one of the best cause there not expensive and they can hit very deep and wim comp if you have they right amp.

Joey
Unregistered guest
Well, whoever told you that about the Volfenhag didn't know anything. They are made very low quality. Honestly you should get a different amp if you can get your money back on that one. You will probably get 1/4 the power rating on that boss amp.

Anonymous

Don't waste your money volfenhag they suck. Try kicker comp VRs. You will get alot better sound from them.

Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 10
Boss audio amps do not even post their distortion rating, that amp is made for noise and not quality, german volfenhags are not a decent sub either, you sound like someone who just wants to drive around and turn heads with huge noise rather than someone who wants decent sound. Suggest a clarion sub for your pricerange

DA MAN
Unregistered guest
Go to ultimate-sounds.com its says that the boss 2200 w riot series is 1400 watts rms and your two subs will have 1000 watss rms. Dont worry about these jokers your sytem will be very good. I have 4 volenhag 12" and the just pound the living sh1t out of you and have very good SQ.

$$BigChris$$
Unregistered guest
yeah, your a regular guy and to a regular guy who has heard factory all his life, volfenhags would sort of pound. but they couldn't beat brahmas. i have a brahma 15 and suggest that 1 brahma or kicker would sound better, out-pound 2 or 4 volfenhag(the whole volfenhag family line), and be at $200 more at the most. believe me. buying a volfenhag versus on of those is like honda civic versus mercedes. w7 if your willing to go that high. dont get me wrong, they will do the job and sound better than 2 6.5 inch factories, but they won't live up to the ratings and wont sound good trying to do it.
(but then again, your a regular guy)

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 280
Exactly, it "says" the Boss riot amp puts out 1400 RMS. Look at the fuse value of the amp. If it's not 100 Amps total, it won't put out 1400W RMS. I saw a Boss amp rated at over 1000 RMS that only had two 20 amp fuses. 14.4V x 40A = 576 watts. Then, take away amp efficiency (about 80%) 576 x .8 = 460.8 So the boss rated at over 1000 RMS only put out 460W RMS. You'll never see a CEA-compliant Boss amp.

DA MAN
Unregistered guest
Chris listen here my 4 volfs have not been beating by any kicker i ve went against never seen a brahma though. Only thing beat me so far has been a two 12" stroker and two 12" JL w7. Boss is a really good brand. I have have The Boss 3000 watt amp and have not had one problem yet.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 289
I can't help the Boss issue since he's already bought it. I can help the Volfenhag issue. You're comparing your 4 subs two 2 higher end subs, which still beat you, even when you're not comparing apples to apples as far as surface area. You probably beat 2 low powered Kickers with 4 volfenhag subs, in which you already had a 6db edge. That really doesn't give you bragging rights for sh*t. Boss plain out sucks, honestly. 4 CompVR's would spank 4 Volfenhags when powered equally, and sound a lot better doing it. 2 Brahmas would eat up 6 volfenhags when opened up to their full potential, and definately hand 4 volfenhags a$$ to them. Adire Audio Shivas are my recommendation for cheaper subs, 125 each shipped.

DA MAN
Unregistered guest
Jonathan have you ever had a boss amp. Cause if you hadn't then just the hell up. volfenhags are good subs if you get them from the manufacture. Cause people or company make ripp off volfenhags and ruin the rep. volfenhags are very underated if never had one just give them a chance they will suprise you.

$$BigChris$$
Unregistered guest
thanks john and nicely put on the thread before your last. DA MAN, i'm not saying what you have is some sh*t, and to back my posting i heard a volfenhag(in a local small audio store) and thats why i didn't say it was bad, but its not one of the best. you may be right, volfenhags might be really good. some rich assh0le had a 13 w7 and since he had never heard of a brahma and thought because he had paid a thousand dollars for his sub that he would spank me. didn't his mama tell him about no nos. alot of us go buy the fact that if a company is selling 100-200 subs, their some sh*t, which is not exactly true so you never know.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 292
Yes, I've had to deal with a Boss amp. I'm not the typical flamer, I've seen this crap equipment used and can tell you from an experienced mind that they are not nearly as good as higher end companies. I've also seen the internals of the amps and they are very poor quality, everything from the power supply, to the transistors, to the protection circuitry, it's all poor quality, cheap components. Not good engineering by any means. They do NOT put out the power listed, you can say they do all you want. JBl make the best cheap, reliable amps. How in the hell is there a difference from getting them straight from the manufacturer than a "company" you're talking about. Volfenhag would get millions in copyright laws if people were selling rip off Volfenhags. Yes, I've seen and heard Volfenhag subs perform, and they also suck. You get what you pay for. I realize that people just don't have money to spend, or just don't want to spend that much, but nowadays with the internet you can get quality stuff for not a lot more than the cheap crap. I have two Eclipse Titanium SW9122 subs running off a JL 1000/1 amp, so no, I'm not going to take the plunge to actually own a Volfenhag sub. Sorry to disappoint you. If I get different subs this time I'll get ID Maxxes.

DA MAN
Unregistered guest
Hey jon have you ever hear of dealers i guess not. Let me explain it do you cause you seem to fuck1ng stupid to understand it. A person can buy the rights to make a product then turn around and make it out of less qauilty and make it sound like crap and were the dealers have purcased the rights to make the subs and sell them the main company cannot do a dang thang about it. And chris do you have any websites i could look at brahma cause im intreged how would they rate with jlw7 or strokers.

Dude Guy
Unregistered guest
Well, whatever dude. Volfenhag just plain sucks. Hell they rank with pyramid, pyle, and Legacy. They are just terrible. If you like them then cool, but dam*.

DA MAN
Unregistered guest
Hey dude guy why diss something when you do not have anything and dont comeback on here and give some bull about how you got this and you got that just dont cause well know your lying because you would have said what you have got already. dude guy dont go by what other people say this kind of stuff is trail and error thats the hole fun of it.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 294
You just made it sound like they are doing it against Volfenhag's will, not as a selling of rights. You should have clarified. Any dealer that has bought out their rights to manufacture them still are considered Volfenhags, which you referred to as "rip-off Volfenhags". Yes, I know about buying rights, and Volfenhag could have done something about it, like maybe not selling it in the first place. You seem too f*cking stupid to get the point that decent subs would eat your Volfenhags alive in a competition, you also seem too f*cking stupid to understand Thiele/Small parameters so I can't really make it a point to you why Volfenhags suck. Don't get pissed at me and try to call me a dumbass because you can't afford decent equipment. Keep talking sh*t, you probably don't even know how a sub/amp works.

DA MAN
Unregistered guest
Jon you are so funny see how easy it is to piss someone off. I pissed you off just like that. Jon if i know all the stuff i posted dont you think i know the concept of a amp and subwoofer works come on thats like asking a 4th grader to count to 5. Jon dont blame me and get mad at me if you not that smart i mean come on we all got our strong pionts and weak. So dont be so immature when you post things. Lighten up and go out and get laid then comeback and talk like an adult.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 295
You seem to be retaliating. "Oh, come on, anyone know how a sub and amp works" Prove it, you don't seem to know details, maybe basic operations at best. You seem to be the one that got pissed as soon as I proved with actual knowledge that your equipment was sh*t. Well, since you know it all, let me sell my Eclipses and JL 1000/1 for some Volfenhags and a Boss amp. Now there's an improvement. The things you posted imply that you don't know jack sh*t about car audio. The only things you've said were jumping on me because you didn't clarify a statement, "hey man don't diss my system", and that the fun of audio is trial and error. There is no error if you get it right the first time. Start telling me things like how a transistor works, how inductance affects a subwoofer's sound quality and response, maybe even how surface area and x-max create SPL, then you may impress me with your knowledge.I never admit that I knew it all, I do know that Volfenhag sucks regardless of the manufacturer you buy them from, I also know that Boss amps are highly overrated, finally I know you don't know sh*t about what you're talking about.

$$BigChris$$
Unregistered guest
go to adireaudio.com and look at them. type them in a search engine and alot should come up. their name is really starting to get out there now. and just incase your trying to get ready to bust me out, the brahma has more spl than the w7 by higher rms wattage(and you can really trust their rating, does 600-700 watts easy without the slightest bit difference in sound, never tried to go higher). but the w7 has the best overall sq for spl. i really dont know too much about strokers but will look into it.

the point about volfenhags everyone is trying to tell you is that the company puts the cheapest parts together to have a higher price to make-and profit ratio. trust me they do. they couldnt have the same quality as jl and be 10 times cheaper without using cheaper materials. that is one reason why we automatically rate out cheap priced subs.

remember mercedes versus honda? which has better features, which cost more. REAL quality materials to make a sub cost the manu. more, which cost you more. priced cheap cause made cheap.

Joey
Unregistered guest
Alpine IVA-D900
Alpine NVE-N852A Navigation
4 Alpine TME-M760 Monitors in headrests
Alpine TMX-R705 overhead Flipdown Screen
Rockford T152S in kick panels in floor
Rockford T162S in doors
2 Earthquake 120.2 for mids and highs
4 Adire Brahma 15" Mark II in Ported Enclosures tuned to 34 hz
4 Earthquake PHD2 Shredders at 2000 watts rms each
2 Optima Yellow Top Batteries
Duel 225 Amp Alternators
All in back of 2000 Ford Excursion
There is my system now I will tell you that volfenhag stinks!

Username: Caddyman18

Post Number: 2
anyone have 2 12" Volfemhag's with a 1600 watt amp? e-mail if you do i need to learn how to wire it up.

pete
Unregistered guest
ryan, we just said volfenhags f*cking sucks.

Username: Caddyman18

Post Number: 4
hey pete you f*ucking suck

thesubgod
Unregistered guest
no dude, your volfenhags do

Bronze Member
Username: Bruhneedluv2

Post Number: 29
ppl, ppl, please read. Bottom line you get what you pay for. any product out there is good enough for any person who wants to buy it. I have the 1600 Volfenhag amp due to the shiny black chrome casing and old school VU Meters i.e. aesthetics!!

But take JBL and I will get ripped a new azzhole as far as pure raw power. but I looked at my amp more carefully: it has AB circuitry stating that it can handle more variations in frequency, short peaks, and so forth. It also has an 80A fuse on it as well.

Honestly, that was something that really made me buy it because I remember another formula such as Jonathan's but with only 13v used as the base. I also have a 120amp alternator as well. My box stated that it would only push 220 wattsx2 @4 ohms, 320x2 @2 ohms, or 640x1 @4. Now with using the formula stated by Jonathan, my amp would push this much 14.4*80a=1152 watts of actual power. But let's not forget the 80% efficiency: 1152*.8= 921.6 watts of continuous power if I am not mistaking. The 1600 watts advertised is actually 921.6 watts for me, more than enough to push my 2 Kole Audio MFW 10's ($107 shipped depending on the site) 400 rms per sub. I'm getting my $150 worth on that amp. It makes for a nice install to be honest.

By the way, would I need another alternator? the bass is dimming my lights slightly (I know, wrong forum but I tried in other forums and was ignored).

I have heard JL w7 before and the volfenhags, using the same amps (I saw the amp two jbl 600/1's) and using the correct boxes (from what I was told they were the right ones). Honestly, volfenhags SOUNDED better, but the JL w7's are so loud that the air moved inside the shop and you lost breath from them, like an asthma attack without ever having asthma, and the sound is just clean bass.

They don't suck. Everyone simply has a favorite. All equipment is not made equal, just like its consumers. the only way that volfenhag can prove itself is in a real spl comp and place in the top three. Until then they will only have a bad wrap from people who do not like their products.

Let me also ask you all this: what would you all do if Volfenhag places in the top three in a world spl comp? would there be the big mouth about their products then?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 373
Actually, since your amp is AB, it's about 50-60% efficiency. 80% is for Class D amps, they're more efficient. 14.4 x 80= 1152. 1152 x .6= 691.2. If it's slightly at higher volumes, your alt. should be o.k. It depends on your listening level. If you listen to the amp at that level all the time and your lights dim, you will want to get a better alternator. IF they placed in the top three, they'd have more reputation, and probably word of mouth would get around. I'm a SQ guy, SPL levels of 170+ db are not going to be listened to any day of the week, and Volfenhags do not impress me any bit with SQ, or reliability for that matter.

Bronze Member
Username: Bruhneedluv2

Post Number: 33
well that is still enough to push my 2 10" Koles easily since they are about 400 watts rms. that should be clean enough to give a nice sound in the interior of my car. Also once I install my alpine that should help a wee bit as far as voltage to my amp is concerned. I may build an amp rack for show. got to watching p'mp my ride again :-)...gave me some more ideas from watching it

normalicy
Unregistered guest
Well, since this has gone this far, I'll put in my two cents. I've been installing for over 10 years and can say that I have dealt with just about every brand out there from Kraco/Jensen/Sanyo/Boss to JL/Adcom/Sounstream/Zapco. I can honestly say that you pretty much get what you pay for, however, Boss hasn't been around for as long as it has because they make worthless crap. It is definately on the low end, but I honestly can't say I saw many more Boss amps returned over Rockford or the like (however, avoid their source units like the plague). True, they do distort quicker and put out no where near their rated power. However, they still do put out alot of power for the dollar. Usually about half the rated power. Which compared to higher end brands ends up being about 1 1/2-2 times the actual power of the higher end item. Just don't mount it upside down in a trunk with a 10 gauge wire and you'll probably be happy with it if you're not going to compete. Power is power for the most part when it comes to bass. Distortion is very hard to hear in bass.

Now for the Subs. I honestly have never heard a Volfenhag in person, so I can't make comment on it's quality or sound. I can say that a good sub will make more of a difference than the amp will though. If nothing else, you will not use as much trunk space. However, the other benefits of a higher end subwoofer is that the specifications are usually reliable and you can build a predictable box by them. I have built boxes for lower end subs going by the specs and they have sounded woefully bad. I had to rebuild the box based on a... guess of all things to what they'd sound better in since there now was nothing to go by. So, I'd say try to get a cheaper pair of subs from a reliable brand than getting a top of the line pair of subs from an unknown. It's hard enough to get subs to sound good when you can predict them, don't take chances. JL W0s sound great for their price and a pair of 12s would wake the neighbors for 2 blocks if you build the system right.

Hope this helps after all the brand bashing.

Hello!
Unregistered guest
your right about how you say you get what you pay for. but i see some volfenhag subs priced around $150 and than some other volfenhag subs for like, frigin $250 bucks. thats some crazy cheap sh!t they're sellin on the markets for such expensive prices, ya know? it should be like 50 or 60 bucks. not f*ckin over 150 dollars. we gotta get these fake a$$ sh!t products off the streets before they start takin over the world!

HatefulFukker
Unregistered guest
You all are retarted. I bought 2 15 inch Volfenhag's and they f*ck up nearly everything i have heard, except really hi end sh*t like Juggernauts, Brahma's, and Treo's. I would definitely encourage people to buy them. Just because they are not famous doesn't make them bad subs. JL wasn't famous until a couple of years ago! THey make good sh*t too! You can't judge Volfenhags until you have heard them, so check them out.

b$BigChris$c
Unregistered guest
no one reply to this a$$hole. he just wants drama. i have heard them and guess where, no really guess........a f*ckin pawn shop. they sell volfenhag subs and amps in about 3 different pawn shops in my city. now thats degrading. i heard the 15 inch in some dudes car that bought them and he was pushing it with the recommended volfenhag amp, and i really think for the first time, sony outperforms someone. when i say suck....i mean it. absolutely no bass depth and they DONT get loud, and the sound is ugly as hell. i wouldnt want 10 volfs if they were given to me for free. ok, maybe just to see the sh*t blowup!! lol!!! That is just my take on a wonderful sub named volfenhag. yeah right!!!!

Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 1
volfenhags suck. im not just talking sh*t without knowing i had two ZX4810 which are their top of the line 10's on a earthquake phd-2 and one of them blew the very first day. i tossed the other one in the garbage soon after. they are terrible subs. save your money and go for something better. for those who already bought some try to return them or sell them to somebody because they just plain suck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us