Quick electrical question, maybe

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1693
whats the most watts that can be ran daily using only a 200 amp alt?

and how many hc2400's(or equivalent) would i need to power it?

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1203
one million zillion watts u would need ten thousand 2400s

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5047
Mark you're looking at around 2200RMS or so, and two HC2400's would work well. But... adding in your cars current draw + FS amp(s), I would stick to around 1800-2000RMS.

And shut the fück up BLK. What is the point of a post like that other than for people to hate you even more than they do? Is that something that gets you off?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3533
Id agree with brad ~2000-2500rms total would be a good amount, depends on the amp/amps. I dont know about two HC2400s tho, that might be overkill. I would run the biggest you can fit under your hood and one HC2000 or one HC2400 in the back. With a single run of 1/0 and good grounds you should have great voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Mark872

2 Type X 12s, Hughes S..., Texas

Post Number: 321
So i guess running a Sundown 3000D on a 200a alt isnt a good idea? I was told this would be ok with a batt or two in the back.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 438
overkill is good =] better safe

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5050
Mark, sure it could be done, that is a pretty efficient amp but it is pushing your luck.

That's what I meant Jake.... one in the front and one in the back. The one in front doesn't have to be a 2400.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1539
Not unless you plan on running it at it's full potential daily.

What sub(s) are you running?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1694
im running more than that now. im running 3200 rms with just 1 hc2400 in the back and my stock up front.

i wanted to run 2 btl's and get a second 3000.1d but i guess i wont be able to do that. gonna have to save up and get that 300 amp alt from iraggi, wish i would have just done that in the first place now i gotta sell a fuking h/o alt.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1205
that would be fine. i have seen a pair of 2400s run 4k with a stock alt and it got the job done

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2595
I run 4k on a stock 110a alt with only one 2400...

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
wtf idk who to believe.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19580
Do the math Mark. Amps X volts = watts. Like Brad said you can expect 2200 watts out of that alt with room to play for the car's use. Sure ppl push the envelope and some design conservatively. It's up to you to chose your path.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1695
Well ive seen systems with a lot of batteries and stock alts before but i dont really know if there listened to daily or what.

either way im goin for it. ill just get one of those big batcaps or a couple more hc2400's and will probably be fine, i just gotta locate another 3000.1d

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
Too many Marks in this thread. What would yall recommend for 3k watts daily? 250a alt, 300a?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1696
i was running 3200 daily off of my 200 amp alt srock battery and hc2400 but apparently i should need more.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1208
i say if ur getting an alt get the biggest u can because u will want to up grade over time

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9418
What people often don't get: higher amperage alternators often have less output at idle. It is a trade-off. A 200 amp will support most any daily system fairly well. How many batteries you need depends on how solid you need the electrical system to be.

I've run 3000w on one battery + 200 amp alt. Does it work yes, does voltage drop at full tilt, yes. But I rarely play it at full capacity so it's fine.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1643
I'm really happy with my mechman 250. I used to have Iraggi 380s and while they had fair output reved, they had very little output at idle. I used one as a factory replacement for a while, but if I was in stop and go traffic my batteries were discharging.

With the 250 I have now it still has over 150a at idle, and 250 on the highway, so to me it's a good middleground. The mechman is beefier too..

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11120
I agree idle is just as important as the max output.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12205
depends on the car and it's needs for starters, OP, but we'll be conservative and figure you have a loaded Durango that requires 100A of current for the car, so that leaves you 100A for the audio, *12 volts, = 1200 watts.
Now that's 1200 watts continuous, and since you'll typically use maybe a quarter of that with a dynamic source like music, let's quadruple that number, and say you can safely run up to 5Kw of RMS rated power from your amplifiers for daily driving needs. If you plan, however, to run the system at excessive volumes on a regular basis, then stick with the 1200 watt figure for amplifiers.

Username: Kona_scrap_86

Kimberley, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
hey im purchasing a subwoofer and i was wondering what owuld be louder but still have decetn sound quality. 2 12" phoenix gold TI12D subs or 1 10" kicker solo X? thanks a lot:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us