Death of my Amplifier?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2831
well the day was going good until i started my car to leave for work.

it then sounded like something dying in my trunk, my sub to be more exact. i shut my car off popped my trunk and jumped out to see wtf was going on, to be greeted by no less than the magic smoke.

my amp was on fire.

i have no idea how, but she was lit up. no wires touching, nada. damage below...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

800x600 here:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/ebsupra/top.jpg?t=1230593402

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/ebsupra/12.jpg?t=1230593402

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/ebsupra/2.jpg?t=1230593402

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/ebsupra/3.jpg?t=1230593403

i'm assuming it's past repair? :/

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9343
That sux.... At the very minimum the FETs are toast.... and there may also be damamge not visible. So yea time for a new amp.

BTW what amp was it

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4498
wow, yea, it looks toasted, Pic 3 has some damage on the board..looks like some of the chips are smoked.
was it a RF or Kicker?

Gold Member

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2832
RF X7. got such a good deal on it too...

fucked up thing is i was getting close to parting ways with all my stuff. guess it's time now, except i'll come up a few dollars short of what i would've gotten.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4499
if it was the rx7 that sucks. I would ohm out the coils on the sub to see what it at.for an amp to just smoke like that is wierd. I would also check your ground wires. It may be worth fixing if it was the x7.

Gold Member

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2834
hmmm... ecoustics raffle?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19480
That blows dude. Not a play on words either.

Been saying it for awhile that E should have a graveyard section for stuff like this.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4501
well, if it was me, I would try to do a repair on it. If you can still read the numbers off the fets, order some new ones and replace them. Also check the imprinted resisters/pico fuses to see if they are still good. Its the cheapest way to go if you can solder. again, you should make sure the wires/sub are good before doing anything else.

Gold Member

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2835
i just yanked my box out of my car. i'll get around to metering the aq tom. probably...

i'd love to try and fix it don't get me wrong, but like i said i have to get rid of everything soon anyways. i ship out feb 3rd... plus i've never soldered in my life lol, but i'm not too bad at tinkering with things if need be

i pulled the clips off to do a little more investigating. a lot of the black sh!t on the board comes off. i'll put more pix up tomorrow

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9347
IMO its probably not worth trying to fix.

Gold Member

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2836
well i stumbled upon an ad on CL from some guy who repairs/buys blown amps, so i'm going to give him a call and see what he has to say. here's some pics w/o the clips on...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4504
wow, thats pretty messed up. Although it only looks like that one fet blew. The board looks ok, just dirty. and where did those 2 brown wires go? looks like they are melted into the fet.

I would try a new mosfet, repair/replace that brown wire if needed, and see if it powers up. if so, sell it quick on CL or CA. lol.
That was RF's flagship amp so its a pity to trash it if its just a few fets.
If your gonna fix it, ~$80-125 is a rough estimate. for a simple fet replacement. GL.

Gold Member

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2838
i'm not sure where the brown wires go, but thats the conductive or whatever that melted, not the fet. i can clean it up a little and find out though...

for all i know the amp might even turn on lol, but i'm not about to try it without tidying her up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us