New To The Game!

Username: Florida_native

Sarasota, Florida United States

Post Number: 1
Newbie here posting for the first time. I'm 16 and just bought a 2007 Ford Escape. The system already sounds good as my parents say, but they also said if your upgrading, that is on you! LOL I was looking for budget friendly subs. Preferably 12's. I came across some Sony XPLODs. Now, a friend of mine told me Sony components are garbage, but once again I'm 16 and on a budget and I just want some BOOM. So, I was wondering what some of your opinions were on Sony and these subs. I will attach the link and it should have all the specs and pictures. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to hearing opinions! P.S. HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8498388&type=product&id=1186004520 078

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2127
First off. Your friend is right about Sony, Next to garbage when it comes to drivers. A plastic bat being whacked against a tree is ahead of Sony.

Anyways, in order for us to give you a setup, you're going to need to provide us with a price range.

Along with a price tag, we need you to provide us with your skills. I.E: Wood working (building a box). Installing electronics in your vehicle.

And of course a list of what components to a 'car audio system' you planned to enjoy in your vehicle. I.E: Speakers, Subwoofers, Amplifiers, Head Unit, Equalizers.

And yes, Happy Thanksgiving.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. For a price range honestly I don't really have one. I was hoping to go less then $300 for subs. I don't know much of anything about installing or box building. But, the same person that told me Sony was garbage promised to help with the install. For a head unit I really like the Alpine CDA-9884. The guy that takes me home from school has one it is pretty neat. Speakers, my dad has Polks in his Jeep and had them in his F-150 and they sound amazing. I was wanting to do some Polks. Amps, I'm not quite sure yet. That was actually going to be the next question for you guys. But, in the 300 dollar price range are there any good subs that possibly come with a box already. If not, I could have my friend help with the build. Thank you for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2128
Just give a grand total that you would feel comfortable spending on this when all said and done. Saying you have no budget usually pisses people off because people can come up with a system that costs more than your escape.

"Good subs" do not normally come in a application-made box. You buy the subwoofer and while it ships is when people usually build a box for it.

Do you or your friend have access to basic tools? Saw, Drill, Clamps?

Post Number: 3
Yes, I have all kinds of tools and so does he so what I don't have he will definatly have. My apologies for the budget. 1200-1500 when everything is done if possible. I am wanting to do it in bits and pieces. But, if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them because, as you can probably tell I haven't a clue as to what I want. I just know I want some bass! And not to throw another question at you but, in building a box is is easy to find the correct dimensions for the sub to sound right? Thankyou!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2129
Okay since you want it in peices. I would do the Head Unit and the Subwoofer/Sub Amp First.

Because you can use your stock speakers with your new head unit until you feel like adding the next peice. The feeling I am getting from you is that you're 16, highschool, want to be heard, etc.

With any electrical upgrade to a car, you must work within your alternator/battery combo's amperage range in order to not ruin stuff (Or make major mods to your electrical). So keep that in mind.

I suggest to you now that you give to everyone an idea of how extreme you're wanting to go here. Space issues in the cargo area, how much you would sacrifice, preference on amount of subs and the size(s).

And after that, actual brand names and model suggestions will be suited for you.

Post Number: 5
Well, I really appreciate you dealing with my cluelessness! The head unit is hopefully coming for Christmas. So, i surely agree with you on the headunit first lol. There isn't any space issues really. I would like to have some room to put my gym bag for weightlifting or football practice, and maybe some things from the store if my mom forces me to go LOL! But, I was want two subs, 10's or 12's. And, you hit the nail right on the head when you said wanting to be heard!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1730
I would suggest doing one 15".

Post Number: 6
Thanks Snow. I was actually thinking the same thing a while ago. I'm not sure what brand to go with though. Or what amp to power it.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1731
well you're going to be running this system off your stock electrical. right? If so I would not go over 1200 watts for power. What is it that you're looking for in the system also? SPL which is pure loudness lacking sound quality, SQ which is not that loud, but has good sound quality, or SQL which is an even mixture between SQ and SPL.

Post Number: 7
well, I want some boom but I still like being able to actually understand the words of the song lol. I would imagine that would fall in the SQL catagory. And yes, stock electrical was going to be the plan.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1335
if you still want to hear the words then you will probably need new speakers and a amp for them. running any speakers off of an aftermarket HU sounds like crap. aftermarket speakers need way more than any HU can put out. thats how you will be able to hear words.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3855
i live just north of tampa so if you need help with install, picking out equip., building a box. let me know. my screename on aim is the same as my name on here so just shoot me an IM if you need help with anything

Gold Member

Post Number: 3856
no its not actually, its...

jk32sho

sorry about that

Post Number: 8
okay I have one more question as of now. I have been looking around the web, a few magazines, and talking to a few people and they say Rockford Fosgate is the deal! Now, I'm not sure what you guys think but it seems like high quality stuff. I saw there is a setup sold that has two 12" Rockford punches and I was thinking of doing that. So, if I could have your input one more time.... Thanks guys! PS, and if your familiar with the setup what amp should I use?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9022
RF amps are good subs are not that great.... hint of advice, stop looking at mainstream brands, theres almost no good values there.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 494
look in to getting some rd audio classics or sonance with a rd 1000.1 to power them.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4805
New to the Game getting prepped by a bunch of even newer to the game fags... Only at E.

Priceless. And also pretty sad

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2124
How much space do you have to work with? Do you plan on using all the space in your cargo area? What kind of music do you listen to? If or when you get new speakers, do you plan on amplifying them? Can you buy online, or are you buying locally?

I would try to stick with a sub amp that does around ~800w if I your not wanting to upgrade your electrical (which can be pricey $$$). Nothing worse that buying equipment that you can run at full potential.

Look into Class D amplifiers as they are more efficient (will require less power to run), especially if you want to run more than 800w.

And I would honestly talk to JK (the cisco kid) about building a box and possibly install. It would be cheaper and possibly better than taking it to a local shop.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3857
possibly...

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1798
LOL^^

Big Dawg, a good budget mono amp would be an AQ1200. around $250 shipped to your door... Hard to beat that price for that kind of power and it's new.. If you are looking at a single 15" sub, look at the AQ HDC. www.Audioque.com

There are a lot of possabilities that would go great with that amp I mentioned.. if you go with a 2- sub setup make sure the rms of both subs are in the neighborhood of 1200 watts(combined) You will need dual 4 ohm voice coils for the 2 sub setup..

If you want a single sub setup make sure the sub can handle that kind of power (1200wrms) you will need dual 2 ohm voice coils.. There are exceptions to these rules but this should get you by for now..
The Alpine H.U. you mentioned is a decent H.U. there are better values for the same features(ex. Eclipse CD3100)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099CD3100/Eclipse-CD3100.html?search=Eclipse+VENDOR ID099&searchdisplay=Eclipse+VENDORID099&tp=5684

That should get you started..

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2472
First off,welcome to E!

First subs that came to my mind were the Audioque SDC 2.5s and for the amp the Audioque AQ1200D. Perfect match and not too pricey. AQ has very nice stuff,Ive owned a 15" HD3 and it was a beast.

Well I havent been to AQs site for awhile and I see that they have components now too and a 4 ch. amp. Might as well go with all AQ equip.

2 12" AQ SDC2.5s-$139 ea.
AQ1200D-$249
AQG6.5 comps-$199
AQ4X90-$ coming soon

$726 plus s/h and whatever the 4 ch costs. Not bad at all.

For a box hit up BJ at FisherCustoms

www.fishercustoms.com

Post Number: 9
thanks guys for all the help and advice i will definatly keep you`posted on this process. I will take all these segestions into consideration. I think im going to go with the 2 12's setup. But, I'm still not sure exactly what I want yet but, as I said I will keep you up to date and the help and hospitality is much appreciated!

PS- I was actually liking Kicker stuff as one of my friends just did a Kicker system. But, I will defiantly look into all these suggestions.

Post Number: 10
thanks guys for all the help and advice i will definatly keep you`posted on this process. I will take all these segestions into consideration. I think im going to go with the 2 12's setup. But, I'm still not sure exactly what I want yet but, as I said I will keep you up to date and the help and hospitality is much appreciated!

PS- I was actually liking Kicker stuff as one of my friends just did a Kicker system. But, I will defiantly look into all these suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1806
Kicker amps are solid.. Their subs are everywhere... Everyones got em, or had em.. I lived and learned and moved on...
there are many better quality lesser known brands out there that will make you forget all about Kicker subs... So far as I know, the only keeker subs I haven't run before are the CVT's and the round solo barics.... That being said I am much better off for moving on...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9027
Some of us are smart enough to never have owned a sub with "kicker" on it

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2132
What about some Audioque SD2's on about 600~700w? That should be plenty loud enough for a first system, especially in an Escape.

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 801
Welsome to E!

Here are a few companies to look at. All of them are really good companies and have good quality.

www.audioque.com
www.ddaudio.com
www.ficaraudio.com
www.soundsplinter.com
www.edesignaudio.com
www.sundownaudio.com
www.ascendantaudio.com
www.reaudio.com
www.rdaudio.com
www.usamps.com

Just a couple companies you might want to look at. There are alot more out there i just listed a few that came to mind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Okay, I know I've been gone for a while and didn't mean any disrepect by it. A lot of midterms at school and what not. I have been looking into Audioque and I'm deffinatly liking them. I'm still going to stick with the stock electrical. I was also debating on either doing 2 AQ SDC2.5's. I like this setup the best. Running these subs, what amp would work the best. I was looking at the AQ1200D. Thanks guys!

BIG DAWG!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4896

quote:

A plastic bat being whacked against a tree is ahead of Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 876
Yep that is a good budget set-up. And that is a great amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Brad- I liked that one too!

Kevin- Thanks man, I can't wait to get going!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us