Bandpass boxes

Bronze Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Ga. United States

Post Number: 13
A friend offered me a box for my subs because i need one. It looks good and appears to be a really good build. I've heard his subs in it and they got loud.. What i don't understand though is he says it is tuned to 34 Hz and i don't exactly get what that means.. Explain???

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 850
Did he build it or have it built for him? What subs did he have in it? What subs do you plan on putting in it?

34hz is what the box is tuned to. I don't really know how to explain it, I am sure someone on here does, but that is a good tuning for a daily system.

Sorry I cant help more.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 366
My best explanation is that the box is designed in a manor that the frequency rolls off at 34hz. This can be accomplished by the way the port is built. Most people try to match the specs of there subs to a frequency that best suits what they would like to obtain. I believe (not sure) 34hz is relatively low to average so if you know your sub can preforms well with low frequency then that box may work well.

However, my explanation may also not be the best and there are many others that know more about this.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2796
from textfiles.com -

"In exactly the same way the resonant note from a bottle can be
raised and lowered by adding or pouring out liquid to change the
bottle's air volume, enclosure tuning is affected by the ratio of air
volumes in the port (the bottleneck) with its attendant flow
resistance, and the enclosure interior volume. Tuning of loudspeaker
enclosures is a result of manipulating the differences in effective air
mass between the enclosure interior and the air in the port. The
bottle-like nature of a vented enclosure is known as a "Helmholtz
resonator." The ports or ducts in a vented enclosure work only over a
narrow band of frequencies near the chosen tuned frequency, producing
the same effect noted when blowing across a bottleneck--a single
distinct pitch."

Bronze Member
Username: Jason420

PIMP CITY, GA USA

Post Number: 27
it is a sound wave 34hz the vent is tuned at 34hz should sound good.tune your amps low pass very close to it ,tune the subsonic to get that hard drop add bass ex until it hits the hardest not distorted {never above half} pre-amp sensitivity out must match amps level.sorry may be a little much/JUST SOME KNOWLEDGE

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
thanks. this helped a little. i just don't know if 34 Hz is a good or bad thing. im putting 2 RF 2ohm p3 12's in it run by a Kenwood 2400w classD monoblock amp

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 369
Since he is your friend go ahead and give it a try and if you don't like the way it sounds don't use it. Are you getting it for free or is he selling it 2 u?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9125
Wow, the amount of fail in this thread

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4488

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2530
R.I.P. Ecoustics.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4788
bies lol

like i said the quality on this site is dropping quicker and quicker were almost at our demise

Bronze Member

PIMP CITY, GA USA

Post Number: 29
wow! the amount of as_holes on here.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 360
jason sorry no as_holes here your post was just worth less and everything = fail!!!! so go learn before you help..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2531

quote:

it is a sound wave 34hz the vent is tuned at 34hz should sound good.tune your amps low pass very close to it ,tune the subsonic to get that hard drop add bass ex until it hits the hardest not distorted {never above half) pre-amp sensitivity out must match amps level.sorry may be a little much/JUST SOME KNOWLEDGE

quote:

wow! the amount of as_holes on here.

It would not be so bad if you learned about what you are talking about first before trying to explain something. I can not explain the amount of fail in your post.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1858

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
x2 fail lol

Bronze Member

PIMP CITY, GA USA

Post Number: 30
if i am wrong then so is crutchfield an hifonics

Bronze Member

PIMP CITY, GA USA

Post Number: 31
explain to me why i am wrong if u cant shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!my system is tuned just like i said an it hits so low i here notes in a song that i never new existed.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1823
bahahahaha.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 176

This thread really went south after about the fourth post. Post number five damn near had me rollin'.

"R.I.P. Ecoustics" x2

Silver Member

Post Number: 862
"explain to me why i am wrong if u cant shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!my system is tuned just like i said an it hits so low i here notes in a song that i never new existed."

lol www.internetisseriousbusiness.com/ecoustics

Gold Member

Post Number: 2533

quote:

explain to me why i am wrong if u cant shut up

Ok, here goes. It will take a while to correct all this fail.

quote:

it is a sound wave 34hz the vent is tuned at 34hz should sound good

Should sound good? You do not even know what subs or vehicle he has. Not all subs sound good tuned to 34hz. And some vehicles do not like it.

quote:

tune the subsonic to get that hard drop

The subsonic control is what stops the subwoofer from playing below a certain frequency. It actually stops "that hard drop"

quote:

add bass ex until it hits the hardest not distorted {never above half)

Wtf? "Never above half"? Did you just make that rule up? Bass boost should NEVER be used.

quote:

pre-amp sensitivity out must match amps level

Wrong. Your preout voltage can be anywhere in the range of the amp's acceptance.

Lets say you have a 8v preout headunit, but your amp only supports up to 4v, all you have to do is turn the sub woofer level down.

Where does Crutchfield and Hifonics say all this at?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
i would be buying it, it wouldn't be given to me. 130 dollars. Idk how it will sound in my car though because he no longer lives near me and i couldn't try it out. If i buy it, it's a done deal. and the subs i am using, i named up there, and its going in a honda accord

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 182
Props on tackling all that fail in a single post Nick V.

Eric Brantley, i would build a box on my own that was designed exactly for those subs, all for less than half the price of that bandpass box. Just my honest opinion. Whatever you decided to do good luck and be sure to post up some pics when done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
If it is a prefab box do not even bother. That is why I asked you if he built it or if he had it built for him.

Bronze Member

PIMP CITY, GA USA

Post Number: 32
download the hifonics manual....idiots are born everyday.
{add bass ex until it hits the hardest not distorted {never above half)}...this says nothing about bass boost {the bass is on the amp}BASS EQ.DO U EVEN KNOW WHAT CAR IS.STICK to your occupation an learn something

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
^"idiots are born everyday."

^couldn't agree more^

bass eq is Bass boost...

lmfao at you trying to burn Nick and failing miserably.

You sir are really a piece of work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
JASON NORSWORTHY= fail

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1827
bahahahaha.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1860
How many FAIL threads can we get in one day?!?!

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLsideU.S.A.

Post Number: 426
lol@jason
srs

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3454
Nick im supprised you took time out of your busy day to even bother with this...GET BACK TO FIBERGLASSIN' BOY! :-)

Cozce- I get back tuesday night... Hit me up wed if you wanna pick that sub up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2534

quote:

download the hifonics manual....idiots are born everyday.
{add bass ex until it hits the hardest not distorted {never above half))...this says nothing about bass boost {the bass is on the amp)BASS EQ.DO U EVEN KNOW WHAT CAR IS.STICK to your occupation an learn something

Monster Fail. Bass EQ is bass boost.

Also, no, I do not know what car it is, but I'm not the one that made the assumption that 34hz would sound good.

Noobs are born everyday here on E, and Jason decided to stick with us ;)

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23044
jason before reading the hifonics manual and deciding that all car audio revolves around hifonics, read www.bcae1.com. its a great place to learn a few things.

now i am not bashing you. just trying to help.

Bronze Member

PIMP CITY, GA USA

Post Number: 33
I AM SORRY .i listens to a company that has been in the bizz for 25 years i would think they would know just a little about setting a amp /if cd player level is to high cant match your amp use a balanced line driver or a crossover.i am very tired of this.cant we all just get along.how about this just help the man who made the post.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1831
i hate you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 866
lmao

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19304
Hate is a strong word.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1834
hate is a strong worddddd, but i really really really dont like youuuu.

by the plain white t's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
haha.
I made this thread to get help. I didn't get too much, but i don't care. hahaha but everything that was said was absolutely HILARIOUS. You guys obviously think this guy jason is an epic fail to life...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2536
Hey Eric, is the box a prebuilt?

And I'm sorry Jason noobed up your thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
Eric, Where did your friend get the box? what did he have in it? what do you want to put in it?

we need to know those to help. $130 is a lot for a box. We could probably help you design a box(for your subs) that would sound better. do you think you would be able to build it if it were designed simply?

Sorry for getting off topic, but yeah you guessed it. He fails.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 370
Sounds like Jason was just giving it his best shot and help Eric out. Sry Eric, seems like most everyone was more interested in bashing Jason than giving you more advice.
That price is pretty steep for a box that is probably not built best for your subs. Maybe someone on here could tell you if those P3's would sound alright at 32hz. Keep in mind, its only about $30-$40 worth of material to build a box. There are also lots of people on ecoustics that can build you a box for a relatively cheap price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2537

quote:

Sounds like Jason was just giving it his best shot and help Eric out. Sry Eric, seems like most everyone was more interested in bashing Jason than giving you more advice

Wow, not another one. Jason stated incorrect facts in a way in which anyone that disagreed with him was wrong, and knew nothing about car audio.

And as far as bashing goes, the only person I see calling people "idiots" is Jason.

I hoped the OP learned a few things from our corrections though :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
well i dont know where he got it or if he built it himself. he had 2 FI BL's in it but i am putting 2 RF p3's in it. I, myself can't build it. I have no experience in box manufacturing at all and wouldn't know how to build a ported box even if you guys told me how.. but if you'd like, you can TRY and help me.. haha

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
I dont think that the box would be the right size(If it was built for his BL's). I would advise getting a hold of BJ fisher of fisher customs. I don't know how his prices are, but he does great work.

www.fishercustoms.com

bj@fishercustoms.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
gahh his boxes are expensive..
i would prefer someone build me one the perfect size that my speakers require, but idk what the required specs are and don't know the dimensions and don't know how to build a ported box.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 190
Here is the link to the RF page on your subs, just click the link where it says "downloads" it will take you to a page where you can download the owners manual as a pdf.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=4&series_id=3 1&family_id=11&item_id=108288&locale=en_US&p_status=

As far as building a box goes, its really not hard at all. Just take your time and apply yourself. If you dont have the tools you could get by with just a jigsaw, a drill and some simple clamps, tools you will use again and again and not regret buying.

Hope this helps man, good luck with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
thanks. havent looked at it yet but thanks for the effort and taking your time with me.. Well i have the tools. My grandfather is a carpenter and we own our own cabinet shop. It is very large and he does alot of business and GREAT cabinetry too. But he has never built a speaker box and idk how to build a port and idk how to come up with the dimensions on how to make it..

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
There are several websites that will help you design. Between you and your grandfather you will be able to do it.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/calculator_display.ashx

or you can use this one

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

both of those sites really simplify designing and are great for first time builders.

You will save money this way and you will have a box that will be built for your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks.. one more question. do i find the qts, vas, fs, and xmax on the rockford fosgate owners manual thing? i see all of that listed on there but dont know if im supposed to plug it in or what??

Silver Member

Post Number: 872
yeah you just plug it in... Good luck with the build! Post pics of your build log!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks to all for the help. Especially kev duck. I have all my dimensions and everything good and right now. Just gotta get the wood bought and cut. I'll try and keep updated with pics. SHOULD look pretty good...

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
be sure it fits in the trunk opening if you have a trunk car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us