Car starts by itself

Username: Julesbabauta

Post Number: 1
I've owned thev Viper 771XVR purchased and installed by Best Buy and for almost a year now I have been plagued with it started on its own. It seemed to have gone away for almost two months but then it just started doing it again tonight. I have always assumed it to be a faulty remote but with Best Buy testing it, there's seems to be no proof to need a replacement. I hate visiting and explaining my problem to them only to find out that I've been made a fool by my own car. It never seems to happen while at their shop. When they look at it, everything turns out fine. Which is what I expected since everything works fine. All the features work when commanded, its just this little "extra" feature that's at the same time, unwanted.

Silver Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 101
I think that unit comes with a
lifetime warranty, just have it replaced.
What kind of car is this on?

Bronze Member
Username: Catalin

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 69
Does it always start by itself in the same place by chance? If so then I would say that it's possible to have another remote close by on the same frequency or some kind of interference.
Try reprogramming the remotes and make sure you take all four slots in memory with your remotes.

Other explanation is that it could be set up to a temperature or voltage setting. Meaning that it could automatically start at a pre-determined voltage/temp setting. It's a been a while since I've installed any DEi products...

Silver Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 115
I was thinking the same as you but she said best buy put it in for her and I just figured that they would not have that kinda of technical skill, I could be wrong tho I'm not close enough to a best buy to check what all they are capable of installing, frequency interference was my first guess. best buy has that lifetime warranty just have them fix it.

Username: Julesbabauta

Post Number: 2
I think my name confuses some. I'm of the male gender, haha.

I had it installed on my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4, sorry I got carried away. I love it too much. Hehehehe.

Which also reminds me of another issue. On some days, again very random, if I unlocked the doors with the remote, the stock alarm goes off. I'm guessing it thinks it's being "Slim Jim-ed".

Back to the issue. Since at home is pretty much where I'm closes to the vehicle it seems to be where it happens most often. I tried taking the problem to Best Buy and they can't seem to replicate it at their shop. (Even the Slim Jim issue.)

Bronze Member
Username: Catalin

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 71
There's a factory alarm disarm wire on that vehicle that should probably be connected. It's a light green wire under the drivers side dash by the keyless module. If that's not connected properly then disarming the Viper alarm may trigger the factory one.
I still think there is some sort of interference in your area or maybe someone in the house pushing the buttons on the remote.

Re-program all remotes away from your house and try it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us