Your 2 cents

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 134
i've got a 12 w7 in a ported enclosure currently and its too loud for me. i have a jl 500/1 pushing it and the gain is all the way on zero and my deck's subwoofer output is at zero as well. I figured by building me a sealed enclosure for it, it would quiet the sub down some. am I correct in believing that will work? Also I was thinking there again about making the box maybe 1.0 ft^3 to help tighten up the bass a little. I know the w7 isnt built for SQ but would putting it into a smaller sealed enclosure help with the SQ of the sub? I think the recommended internal volume of a sealed box for a 12 w7 is 1.375 ft^3. do any of you guys have advice on just what size to make it? I plan on making the box out of 1" wood and bracing heavily :-) thanks for your time.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4185
sealed will help it. JL has a spec box on the site. You may want to look into some thing that will give you a separate bass volume control.

Gold Member
Username: Tanmanfosho

Fi SSD15 Wangers

Post Number: 1109
to me. theres no such thing as too loud

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4474
The W7 is very much an SQ woofer that can also get fairly loud and low. You're only pushing 500RMS and with a high damping factor, so it should not be extremely loud and boomy at all. Never go under the recommended volume for a sealed box. It can choke the sub and cause power handling and sound issues. Build a 1.4 cube sealed box to make up for the driver displacement and make sure to seal it very well with wood glue and caulking and double the baffle. Also have a friend set your gains for you, or read up and set them yourself with a DMM to match your HU output and then you will be good to go. For what it's worth, sealed is the only way I would go with a 12W7. They are as tight and clean as a pigtailed schoolgirl in that config.

Bronze Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 88
I love your analogy Brad.
They are as tight and clean as a pigtailed schoolgirl in that config..lol

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 135
wow, thanks for all the input, its much appreciated :D another thing i was considering doing was lining the inside walls of the box. either using some spray on adhesive and glue poly fill along the walls or just carpet the inside as well as the outside of the box. what are your guys opinions on that? also, where is a good place to get carpet for a box and is there a special type of carpet to get?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8252
" the gain is all the way on zero "

Umm, ya know higher numbers mean less with the gain? Turning the gain toward the lowers numbers toward zero increases it.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8011
orly????

so if i dont optimize my gain to 5 volts like my ehadunit sends i need to set it to 0.2 volts just to get a boost on decibels???

wow im a try this on a comp

thanks m.s

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8254
wtf are you talkin about

Higher number is less gain, lower numbers are more gain, simple as that.

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 199
strange. my friend got a 12" W7 the other day on a total 1000.1 amp and it just isn't really impressing me. although i'm kinda iffy about the box he's got it in. plus its sitting facing up in the backseat of an extended cab truck. but my ears get tortured by a 15" L5 all day so that just might be my deafness there. he got it off craigslist sub and box for 200 so who knows. hits lows pretty good tho

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 136
so yes or no on polyfil inside the box? :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17825
What's it gonna hurt? It's a lot easier than experimenting with enclosure sizes. Cheap too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us