Why do people refer to gain setting for amp output?

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 216
I am always confused when people are talking about an amp and so something like "I ran it at .5 ohms daily but the gain was only half way" Am I missing something but the gain is not a volume or output adjuster, In a sense yes i suppose but its setting has no real reference to the output of the amp as the input signal is variable.

From my understanding the gain is just a variable resistance to lower the voltage of the input signal so that the amp can use it as a reference to create the output. as the resistance goes down from the gain nob the voltage goes up and thus the amp outputs more. BUT the output of the amp is all determinate on the input voltage and because just about every headunit/whatever is outing a different max voltage every amp will have to be setup differently. SO if I have a headunit outing 7V i would have to have the gain much lower then someone outing 4V. Does this mean that the my amp is working less? no its different and has nothing to do with actual output.

Am I missing something or allot of people just confused?

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

Post Number: 158

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21882
when people say half way they dont' mean half from max. what they mean is half from where they are suppose to set the gain at.

also say your stereo says it puts out 7v preout. does that mean it puts out 7v at any volume level? no.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 217
Thats my point, that everything is in reference to numbers we would have no clue about. I know the 7V isent all the time just used it as a example.

"when people say half way they dont' mean half from max. what they mean is half from where they are suppose to set the gain at. "

That clears it up, Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1743
I believe I totally wrote that ".5 ohm gain" thing on the thread about the earthquake amp...lol

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6555
From what I have seen...
Most of the time when people say:

"My amp was only half way up"

or

"Its not even turned up all the way"

You can go ahead the disregard 60% of the rest of the stuff they say about Car Audio.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21883
lol canaan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us