I want to buy speakers for my boyfriend but I know NOTHING about speakers! HELP!

My boyfriend drives a 2001 Honda Accord EX. He's got the in-dash 6CD changer but wants better speakers. When he says he wants "speakers" what does he mean? Do I need to buy an amp and a subwoofer or what else? What's the difference between 1-way, 2-way, etc? What's "peak PWR" and how high should I be looking? What's Coaxial? He wants something that'll be a good clear sound w/ good bass, but not something that's gonna necessarily blow away the whole city away. What should I be looking for? I hear Rockford Fosgate (SP?) is good...is it or what else should I look for? HELP!

first off he probably means that he wants some good speakers that sound clear and have some bass.

second peak PWR is the number of watts that a speaker or sub can handle in a short period of time. (don't get this mixed up with RMS)(RMS is the number of what that should constantly be supplied to the speaker or the sub. it is usually given a range like 100-150)

third to explain speakers are 2way, 3way, and so on up to 5way(subs are 1way speakers). the number represents the number of diferent parts on the speaker that produce sound. for instance the tweeter would be one of the items that produce sound. the woofer cone would be another. some speakers consist of a super tweeter which would be another. 2 way speakers generally consist of the woofer(the big plastic looking part) and a tweeter(the little part in the middle). 3 ways consist of a woofer, tweeter, and super tweeters(one of the other little parts in the middle) or something along the lines of a super tweeter. 4 ways add another kind of tweeter and 5 ways add 2 more tweeters.
now your asking yourself what the difference between 2 ways etc. is. well, the basic difference is the range of sound that each type can produce. 3ways can produce a wider range of sound waves thant 2ways thus they are a little more clear and have a little better sound. 4 ways produce more sound waves than 3 ways and so on.

forth i would recomend a pair of subs(which you have to have an amp to run the subs) because to me speakers just don't supply the base that i like.

fith i would also recomend a decent pair of 3 way speakers to add the highs and mids.

but the important thing is just to look around to get the feel for prices. then figure out a number that you are willing to spend. then go buy what you think he wants.

personally i would tell you to look at some infinity kappas for a sub but rockford fosgates are good to and as far as the speakers go i would say infinity references, boss or pioneer. and the amp is really no big deal you just need to find one that is not really expensive just one that fits you power needs.

also he wouldn't need an amp for the speakers the radio itself should supply enough power to them.

don't hesitate to ask more questions the worst thing that could happen is buying the wrong thing and then blowing it from to much power or something. so fell free i will check back here every day for a couple of days.

Thank you...the explanations help a lot. So I should probably get 2 3-way subs and one amp? Or are you suggesting the subs and 2 speakers and the amp? Don't forget this is a 2-door accord so there's not much trunk room to begin with. Is there a difference between 10' or 12' subs? I also saw Infinity has a 10' car subwoofer that is an all-in-one servo-controlled subwoofer/amplifier with 200 watts of power. How many watts do you recommend?

Anonymous
you should start with some 2 or 3 way speakers for the door (find what size he needs from crutchfield.com) compare specs, and get the best speakers for the price. Then if he still wants mor bass or louder, you will have to replace the factory cd player with somthing else before you can make an amp and subs sound good

well, the front doors of the accord take 6 1/2 inch speakers and the rear take 6x9s. so i'd reccommend some infinity kappa 6 1/2s for the front, and maybe some infinity reference 6x9s for the back. it just sounds like he wants some new speakers, so if you wanted to get that infinity basslink subwoofer(with the amp and sub all in one) that might be good for him since he doesnt want too much bass but wants some. thats a pretty good start to a good system. i dont know how much money you want to spend so if you could give me an estimate i could help you a little more.

good luck
Derek

Derek I.
3-way for the front and 2-way for back, if you have 3 way for the back, it might drag your soundstage backwards and you want more sound from the front.

I'm thinking I might spend around $200-$250? Truthfully my birthday's coming up in a few weeks and his isn't until Nov. so I'll have a better idea of how much to spend after I see what he gets me. :) I don't want to spend $500 on his speakers if he gets me a teddy bear after a year of dating.

chuck graves
well if you are only looking to spend 200 t0 250 you cant really get new speakers for the front(doors) and back (6x9 speakers above the back seat)an amp and a sub i would think about for that price to get more clarity and some bass getting some different 6x9's and maby running a small like 100watt amp through the cd player just to give you the feel of everything to get new 4 way 6x9's and a 800watt amp and a 12" 800 wat sub cost me about $400-$500 but it has great clarity and very clear but deep bass it is also a good idea to go with a layaway plan many places offer free layaway and that makes it easier to slowly build your system up i have to tell you my girlfreind for 2yrs brought my car home one day with that new amp and one of my freinds old subs and i was shaking i was so excited i couldent stop kissing and hugging her suprising him is a great way to go then he will owe you big and if he buys you a teddy bear then you know he will have to try really hard to try and make up his shitty gift to you

Anonymous
i have a 93 ford ranger and i was wondering on what size speakers the truck takes because i blew out the old ones. so if you can plaese help!

i have an 84 chevy pickup and i need some help i have a sony xplod 208 watt cd player and i have it hooked up to a sony xplod 10" and two lightning audio 3-way 6x9s but i have real distortion problems when i try to turn it up any suggestions to help

DirtTrackRacer
Well for regular speakers I would go with RF, Alpines, Infinitys, and if your going to use an amp. I would go with MB Quart.

Here are a few links that should help you out...

For the front doors: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KEBwU2E4wII/ProdGroup.asp?s=0&cc=01&a=1&g=52000&l=C&fit=E&size=6+1%2F2

For the rear deck: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KEBwU2E4wII/ProdGroup.asp?s=0&cc=01&a=1&g=52300&l=E&fit=E&size=6X9

A good thing to remember is to always stick with the same brand.
If he is not going to use an amp I would say use either Rockford Fosgate or Alpine.
Good luck.

DirtTrackRacer
As for the guy with the ranger.....
Is it a regular cab or a super cab??
Is it AM/FM, AM/FM/CD player, Automatic printed on the tape deck door?
Here instead of me ask so many questions go here....
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KEBwU2E4wII/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?s=0&cc=01&ac=1&vpSt=1&lp=

Anonymous
If he gets you a teddy bear i will go out with you after you dump him lol

Michael Almanza-Walker
If you are looking for your size of speakers for yoiur car look up crutchfield.com

-----mik-----
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us