Help with aero port

Gold Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1493
I have 1 eD SQ10 powered by a ZX200.2(236watts) in a .75cuft sealed box which is to large. What im wanting to do is to add 1 4" aero port external to it. The sub requires .7cuft ported so that around what im at after sub displacment and all. Will 1 4" be enough. Im goin to order it from precision sounds if that matters. How long will it need to be for 30hz? and 35hz?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9663
Thats not going to happen you would need a four inch aero port 35 inches long for a port tune of 35 hz in a .75 cubic foot enclosure and a four inch aero port 49 inches long for a 30 hz port tune

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 734
For an ED SQ 10 you can get away with using a 3" aero port.

Your not moving that much with a SQ10 for the power they can handle for the cone excursion displacement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9667
yeah youll be right on the borderline with a 3 inch aero port at a port tune at 35 hz but it should work and it will need to be 20 inches long

Silver Member

Post Number: 735
Sean,

The enclosure I build for the chevy avalanche has 4 SQ10's with 2 slot ports tuned @ 35hz with a combined port area of only 16 sq.in. and the enclosure slams with very good SQ response and a decent amount of SPL.

For what the ED SQ10's are made for as to performance, there not a bad sub at all, just don't try to make them perform in a manner they'll never achieve otherwise the user will be quite disappointed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9670
"For what the ED SQ10's are made for as to performance, there not a bad sub at all, just don't try to make them perform in a manner they'll never achieve otherwise the user will be quite disappointed."

I follow you Phil....they are an sq sub and thats primary I just wanted to make sure he didnt have any port noise or resistance that could damage the sub but obviously you have first hand knowledge that things will work out fine as I expected it would....my borderline comment really didnt need to be added I guess because the bottom line is I felt it would be functional at 35 hz considering it was a 3 inch flared port and I measured it compared to a little over a standard 4 inch non flared port using linearteam as my guideline as I usually do since I havent used or seen a 3 inch aero port used to see how it performs with that power

"The enclosure I build for the chevy avalanche has 4 SQ10's with 2 slot ports tuned @ 35hz with a combined port area of only 16 sq.in. and the enclosure slams with very good SQ response and a decent amount of SPL."

wow only 16 square inches how much power are you using

Silver Member

Post Number: 739
Each subwoofer getting about 150 watts stated rms is 200, keep in mind the SQ10 only has just under 3/8" xmax so for the port area given there's no port noise what so ever.

It's a d@mn shame JL discounted the 6w0's, 4 of those in the other avalanche enclosure I designed for them, those little buggers hit tight,hard and loud, enough to do 137 @ 38hz ( 50 watts to each sub ).

The ED 7kv2's ( 4 subs ) in the avalanche box designed for them at the power they can handle ported, tuned at 35hz, they slam just as hard, tight and loud with more authority than the 6w0 avalanche enclosure.

I don't care what anyone says or how dismissive folks are about 6.5-7" subwoofers, if you heard'em before you saw them, you'd swear you were listening to 10's or 12's.

LOL, I find it funny though how people's perceptions are what they think vs what it actually is when they hear something.

Remember the conversation me, you and steve had after the meet about that subject?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9673
"Each subwoofer getting about 150 watts stated rms is 200, keep in mind the SQ10 only has just under 3/8" xmax so for the port area given there's no port noise what so ever."

oh ok

"It's a d@mn shame JL discounted the 6w0's, 4 of those in the other avalanche enclosure I designed for them, those little buggers hit tight,hard and loud, enough to do 137 @ 38hz ( 50 watts to each sub )"

thats impressive

"The ED 7kv2's ( 4 subs ) in the avalanche box designed for them at the power they can handle ported, tuned at 35hz, they slam just as hard, tight and loud with more authority than the 6w0 avalanche enclosure."

that sounds like a pretty nice sounding sub then

"I don't care what anyone says or how dismissive folks are about 6.5-7" subwoofers, if you heard'em before you saw them, you'd swear you were listening to 10's or 12's.

LOL, I find it funny though how people's perceptions are what they think vs what it actually is when they hear something"

Yeah I know what you mean I had a pair of 6.5 tangbands that hit pretty good too....the one thing I did notice though was even though it hit hard it didnt carry impact wise much further than inside the car with the windows down and it hit 127 to 128 db at 43 hz windows up on the dash in a trunk car and the seat didnt fold down

and as far as the conversation its been so long I forget but I believe it was me you and my friend Jason

Gold Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1494
mr. cabinetry. My max dimensions behind the seat area is 9"bottom depth 5"top depth 18.25" Length and 25" Tall. Would you be able to work me something up for a single SQ10. Im wanting to keep this system low power and just add a little more low end range to my music. Nothing crazy its just my work truck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 740
Mr Kebo,

I'll work something up, sealed or porte and what kind of port, round, slot or flared?

Gold Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1495
Really wanting to see if we can working something slot ported up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 744
Mr Kebo,

Here ya go:

18.25" w x 20" h x 5" TD x 8 1/8" BD - .75 cf
Slot Port - 1 x 5 x 17 1/4" @ 32Hz

Upload

Gold Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1496