Capacitor or alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: Killacam

Post Number: 15
I have a kicker solo x which is 2500 watts rms, 5000 max. I have been told that i will need to upgrade my alternator to a high output alternator. Since that would run me about 300 i decided to put the sub up for sale. Then someone told me i could just get a really good capacitor and i wouldn't need to upgrade the alternator. Is this true? And if so what model or brand would u recommend?

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20250
that someone is an idiot. get the ho alt or run alot less power. simple as that.

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20251
this reminds me of a funny story. there is this dude in east LA that has 2 kicker solo x 12 with 2 kicker kx2500.1 in a ford explorer. he was bragging to me about how loud his system was so i heard it. its pretty loud. then when i asked him to see his system, he opened the back and he had like 6 rf 1 farad capacitors. i asked him if he upgraded his alt to a ho alt and he asked me what is that? i was about to bust out laughing but i contained myself.

anyways i asked him to bump his system again cause i wanted to see what his voltage read on the caps. so he started to bump his system and the voltage was dropping down to 10v and sometimes 9.5volts. i told him to turn it down cause he is going to damage his amps like that and he told me the guys at the stereo shop said as long as he has the capacitors, its okay.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5355
hahahaha. i hope that tool blows his sh1t.

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20252
lol yea. i was amazed at how the amps weren't going in to protection. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5357
keeker amps ftw.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 761
you definately need a HO alt to run that much power.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7365
Hahaha tell the someone who told you that never to touch a piece of car audio equipment again.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1662
haha yeah the guys at my shop were like why did you buy a HO Alternator? You couldve bought one of our "Hybrid Capacitors" instead

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 766
just went to bestbuy (against my own will) cuz my dad is lookin for a new tv, of course i had to go to the car audio dept. and was just messin with the HU's when a "sales associate" came up and started trying to sell me RF P1's saying that they can "hit the lows so hard that you wont be able to take it..." and that i should get a Kenwood 1800watt amp because its the best quality. NOT alpine, RF, or the Infinity amp...but the Kenwood....

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1963
Chad the funny thing is around our area its hard to find a shope that knows what they are doing. Most will sell you cap will never mention HO Alt.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1277
I know a guy running "9000" watts off his stock alt and single battery. Now he's probably pulling more like 3000, but still...
Got to have the alts to keep the voltage up and your batteries charged. A capacitor is like having a really really tiny crappy battery.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok so im just going to get rid of it because thats to much 4 me to deal with. Someone wants to trade me 2 12" mtx 8500 in a new quality box, a pioneer mono 800 amp and 50 cash, is this a good trade 4 me?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7371
MTX subs are not that good..... but you would be able to run that system on a stock alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
what about two 15" kicker comps in a box, a amp to power them, a cap, a dry cell battery, and 50 bucks? good deal 4 me?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7372
Better deal than the mtx's I suppose but still not great stuff....... forget the cap though they don't do anything.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
should i just drop the cap and ask 4 more money? seeing that i got the solo x for free (dont ask...and no it's not stolen) is it a good deal?

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 770
sell it on ebay and start over cameron..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
lol to much trouble.im only 17. not tryin to build a super great system. just something thats loud and sounds reasonably good. Also factor in that i only paid 1500 for my car. so once again, is it a good deal.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7374
Yeah forget the cap and get 25 bucks more instead. That would be an ok deal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
cool. but get the extra battery too? what would i do with it. i really dont wanna mess up my alternator

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1540
Caps are as useless as wearing a Cup while sitting on the couch watching tv....

Who cares if your 17.. Get a banging @$$ system at 17... Sht get a Fi SSD.... LOL im gonna be reccomending that alot cause i got one and DAM lol.... And didn't even have to upgrade Electrical.. Gotta buy a Volt Meter so i know what im at all times..

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1970
What amp are you getting with the two Kicker comp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us