I Need a New Car...What Kind?

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 151
Alright. So I know there is a lot of intelligent people on here, and I need to buy a new car. Not brand new, like 2008 or 2009, but I am looking to get a new car. I am joing the US Coast guard, and the sign on bonus is going to buy me a new car with the help of my own money...now Im not sure on the exact amount I will be getting, but I am looking to spend around $7000-10000 cash on a car. I want a manual transmission. That is a must, perferably 6-speed, but 5-speed will do. I plan to put a nice system in it, not sure on the components, but the subs will probably be 2 DD 3512s in a sealed box. Cars I am currently looking at are like a Toyota Matrix Xr, Nissan SE-R Spec V, and Ford Focus SVT. These are all around the years of 2001-2005. I love hatchbacks. It has to get good MPG, like around 30 MPG on the high-way. the Spec V is a 6-speed and I really like them. But I cannot think of any other cars like these that would interest me. So what are some cars that are like, sporty, hatchback, manual transmissions kinda cars. If you just want to list cars, do so. I will look at them on wiki, and ebay and see what I can find. Also, I like Mazda Rx-8's but im not to crazy over the idea of owning a rotary engine car. But whatever comes to mind. I also like Nissan 300zx's but I am afraid insurance would be to crazy on them. Toyota, Honda, Nissan are my top choices, but again...I am not limiting myself to them. Thanks

EDIT: Also, I have really loved Scion Xb's and Scion Tc's but have never been able to decide between the two.

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

New quote coming soon, North carolina

Post Number: 999
don't put 3500s in sealed enclosures

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1753
Oh sh!t, One more Phil:-)

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 152
well I will go with ported...but the fact is, i gotta find a car first...come on! what are cars like the ones i listed

Silver Member
Username: Shak180

Hayward, California Usa

Post Number: 155
what about a volkwagen GTI?

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 153
I have looked at them, but arnt they like 15k+ ?

Silver Member
Username: Shak180

Hayward, California Usa

Post Number: 156
depends what year you want the newest body style yeah they're still about 15k+ used

but i have seen like 03's and 04's for like 10k and 11k

this one right here is pretty rare

its an awd vr6 golf

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/618833407.html

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7029
04 Pontiac GTO

That will blow your MPG requirement to hell though, but it would own anything else you listed. And they're still 12k+.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 154
ya, GTO's are nice...but they cost a little more than i want to pay for a car right now...and good MPG is a must. wherever im stationed, i will be driving back home in kentucky...meaning from any border, driving home. and shak, that golf is very nice...also more than i want to spend, and thats in washington lol...way to far for me. but thanks for the feedback.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1225
Chevy Malibu Maxx? Its more of a wagon, but they drive nice and get decent mileage and it's v6. Could get it loud lol. I was goin to suggest the gto too, but it's a trunk car w/ only OK mileage. I really don't like small cars, so idk what else to suggest.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7559
The Cheby Malibu Maxx has to be one of the ugliest abominations that Chevy has ever made. If you decide on the SE-R VSpec I'll tell you right now if you want a fast car this is not for you haha.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4146
eclipse ftw 05-08

Gold Member

Post Number: 7567
^Ewww, definitely not an Eclipse from those years =/ Prior look much better IMO, the new ones are FUGLY.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 925
eclipse gts

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9050
I like my Scion tc. A b!tch to build a box for the trunk though. But talk to Woodlawn and he can hook you up with some interesting designs :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7573
I agree with Yanks, the TC would be a good choice. It doesn't have a 6 speed but you'd never max out your 5 speed anyways, I hope...

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19629
nissan altima.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4840
I'm going to have to say VW GTI .. either 1.8T or VR6 .. 1.8T would leave you a lot of room you mod for more power.. if you want something sporty odds are you'll seak performance

there are some GTIs in your price range.. if your willing to use a chunk of your sign on as a fat down payment.. just find yourself something you really like even if it is more expensive and buy it.. monthly payment can't be that bad if you put down a decent down payment

Gold Member

Post Number: 7576
A budget is a budget Kevin. Around here GTIs go for quite a bit more than 10grand haha. Well, newer ones at least.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4841
I've been on a budget.. then bought what ended up being something I ended up regreting :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 7583
Uh oh, what did you buy that you regret? Your Sube? Probably because you keep dumping more money into it haha.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 155
Well im really not wanting to put a down payment and pay while im serving, and honestly Im not to crazy over VW's. GTOs cost a little more for me, and gas would be a little much too. I have always love the Xb's ever since they came out, but then I feel in love with the Tc's for the faster engine. I am looking for sporty, as far as mods I would do cold air, cat back/full exhaust, body kit, neons, sound system, and maybe a few other things. im not looking to race it or anything either. the exhaust cant be to loud, or I at least have to have a silencer on it...because you cant have a car that loud on base. I like the spec V cause its a 6-speed and it has around 170 hp. But the Tc would probably be a little faster IMO. Oh, and I dont really like the Malibu's...woo, they are something though. Also, my friend has had 2 eclipses in his time from age 16-18...a 96 and a 2002, both 4 clyinders. course he treated them like crap, and wrecked them both...but I would have to get a newer one, and I couldnt afford that. And Yanks, how big of a box did you put in that Tc and what was so hard about it?

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9051
"Yanks, how big of a box did you put in that Tc and what was so hard about it?"

Right now, my 3.0cuft sealed box fits in with ease. Phil just designed me a box for 1 15" and it came out to nearly 7cuft. Needless to say, we plan on just using about 3.5-4.0cuft of that space lol. Theres just a bunch of random little turns and stuff in the trunk so its impossible to explain to someone the dimensions of the trunk. If your building the box yourself and need it to be over 3cuft net, then you will need to be able to have the skills necessary to determine the angle of the trunk lid going up and be able to cut that. I personally cant do that so thats why me and Phil looked at it and got things working out.
This is what Phil came up with:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/462571.html

So it is possible to fit 2 12's back there and it is possible to do 2 15's as well. Just be aware of how hard it is to do.

Also if you need to upgrade the electrical system, then be prepared to talk only to Iraggi as he was the only person that could build an alt for a TC. Here's an interesting thread on alts for TC's.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=216659

Very easy to get a TC relatively fast. I personally haven't done anything performance wise to mine. If you are interested in learning more about the TC and its performance possibilities, then I would suggest you go sign up on scionlife.com because the people over there seem to know their stuff.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9053
After that novel and the forum isn't even going to bump it up

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 156
I love that 15" box design. very awesome. but i will be putting 2 12", probably 2 3512s or 2512s. Do you think the stock electrical could handle that? how big is the stock amp on the Tc's?

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 157
Ok. Sub wise, I know i want DD...I have my mind set on that. But do you think it would be better to do 2 12" or 1 15"? not the top of the line stuff cause i cant afford that. this is a daily driver, and I really dont want to change the alt in this car...maybe the battery though. And I want to keep it around 1200-1600wrms.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 2064
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=194210

95 caprice LT1 with a 6 speed T56 transmision

25MPG with a V8 hmmmmm cant beat right

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 2065
BTW 5,000$ too

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9054
The stock alt is 105A I believe. I'm running about 1k total, maybe 1200rms. The stock electrical system is holding up just fine. Sometimes when I'm driving and play certain songs, then I get some dimming. On my HU, it has a feature where it tells you your voltage and mine stayed at anywhere from 13.2-14.4 while driving around with the system turned up. With that said I don't know how accurate that meter is.

I personally would not run much more than 1400rms on the stock electrical and even that is pushing it imo. If you properly power those 2 3512's (1500rms a piece), then there is no chance the stock electrical will hold up. The 2512's (750rms a piece), then I think there would be a chance at it being ok. Do your big 3 and watch for voltage drops and if the drop is bad, then start saving for a HO alt.

If it were me, I would probably do 1 3515 and put about 1200-1400 on it. But let it be known that that much power MAY be too much for the electrical to handle. Doing the big 3 will help keep the voltage up. But just be aware that anything above 1200rms and you will probably see voltage drops. How bad? I don't know.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 158
caprice? no thanks. alright...so maybe i will do a 1 3515 or 2 2512s. stock electrical.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5682
lambo

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2751
my brother just traded in his civic for a 03 gti vr6 and that thing hauls azz....or at least feels like it (i don't really race or drive fast cars ... hauls compared to my jeep lets say that) and its a really nice car. don't get the 1.8, my cousin's old audi had the 1.8t (same as VW's) and it was just a money pit, so many electrical problems etc. downside - vr6 gti gets like 22 mpg and needs 91 octane.

my mom's summer car is a 03 eclipse spyder gts and that thing has some pickup for sure. it has the 5 speed and its a really smooth clean pull. however, it's an eclipse (again...my MOM drives one) but it's a nice car.

HOWEVER you should pick up a Acura RSX Type-S. my friend has one and its a sweet azz car man. i love it. when i drove it, i got to rippin and then realized i had a 6th gear, haha good feeling. not to mention the rsx has 6.5" speakers all around (prime for replacement) and a decent sized trunk. but please don't rice an rsx out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4844
rob, me regret my subie? heh yeah right.. this is the best car ive owned yet.. i keep dropping money in it just for more power.. its fast now but once you start modding any peformance car you get used to the power, get bit by the mod bug and keep adding on

its the same thing for a system.. get something loud.. and you want louder lol

the rsxs are nice, decently fast, just not a hatch like you were looking for but a nice car

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 386
03 Civic Si is a hatchback. And they're fairly cheap.
Matrix is a rather unspectacular, although reliable car.
Tc is a good car, might be tough to find in your price range
An older Integra (2001) is a great choice is you're willing to trade a few years for the reliablity.
And Nissan Spec V's are solid little cars, and if you like em go for it.

No VW - repairs are a fortune
No Celica, fugly and slow base engine
No Focus. Crap

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7052
" No VW - repairs are a fortune "

True that. My friend used to have one, the power window motor went and was $400 for a new one! The same part for my chevrolet is $50.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4846
parts for a vw are cheap if you know where to look.. vwvortex.com .. i never had any problems out of my jetta.. besides that you can source a lot of parts from a junkyard

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 159
well im not crazy over vw's anyway. my first car was a focus zx3 5 speed and i loved driving it...cause its a higher hatch and i loved the higher tail lights. but i absolutly love RSX's and i forgot to mention then...havent looked at them lately either online, but im sure they are probably out of my price range. i mainly like the spec v cause its a 6 speed. but i like matrix cause they remind me of my old focus that i loved. i love scion xb's and tc's (in no particular order). I just gotta see the exact amount i will be getting and what i have to spend and find something close to base (i.e. if i get stationed in kodiak, alaska). but keep the cars rolling, i have actually looked into a few cars i didnt think of before

Gold Member

Post Number: 4849
well scion would be the cheaper option.. tons of mods for them.. just not very quick but they do have the sport look

im not fond of ford.. we just never had good luck with them.. owned two.. 1st one got in a head on collision and the airbags never deployed.. my dad just recently sent his new f150 in under the lemon law, kept having electrical issues

our luck doesn't account for everyone elses.. theres tons of fords with no problems.. i just guess we got some problematic ones lol

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 532
derek, what about maybe a mazda6? or maybe a pontiac vibe?

also my advice would be dont get too caught up in whether its a six speed or not.
theyre starting to make cars and bikes with 5 gears now and they still have the same top speed, the reason is they end up staying in the power band longer thus making more pickup also there is less shifting time used... just something to think about.

i know when i get a new dirtbike im going to be switching from one with a six speed transmission to one with a 5 speed. and my next one is going to be faster that my last....

ps. the tc's are pretty sweet. that may be a cool car to have.

but by far my favorite car in that category would have to be the nissan skyline.. or the 350z

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 160
skyline would probably be to expensive for me...and im not to crazy over the mazada6. i do like the vibe, but im not sure much on pontiacs. 350, insurance would be a killer

honestly, i will prolly end up with a tc

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 274
aveos get 38 mpg plus

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 275
and ill post again after ready what u just put. i have a VW golf. 5 speed and they get great MPG too. and some of the newer ones look SICK! and they hatchback. its got the space to put ur bass

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 161
i kinda like the aveo's, but they are to small for me. i need something a litle biger lol.

idk, i might be starting to like these golfs. just finding out more about them and ones i could afford that i like
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us