The Long Awaited eD 13Av.2 Review

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2332
Alright, so after waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...and yeah, Elemental Designs finally finished up this monster and sent it my way. So, without further ado, here is my in no way, shape, or form professional review of the eD 13Av.2!

First of all, I may as well address the size of this thing. It is The thing is 10.5" tall and 59lbs. It is definitely the largest woofer I have dealt with. The eD, in my opinion, is big enough to deter some buyers. I know a lot of high end subs are big, but this thing is almost ridiculous. The rear of my Sable is not very happy with me (the box and sub weigh in at 125lbs). I can only imagine if you were to run two of these things I have to throw a little criticism at Elemental in their packing...it was shipped in a box with nothing more than Styrofoam on the top and bottom. Needless to say, it had broken through the bottom layer and I am glad everything is alright. eD aught to take a look at Fi's packing and rethink some things.

Besides its sheer size, I am not 100% impressed with the looks of this thing. It is attractive enough, but the fake carbon fiberish cone look is not my favorite. However, to each his own. They definitely could have done a lot worse.

Now , we shall move onto the important issue: performance. For reference, I am feeding the sub a hair over 1000RMS (it is rated at 1200) and I have it in a 2.2cuft box, port and woofer back, tuned to 33hz. I drove from Minneapolis to Lincoln, so I have some good listening time to review. I will come right out and say that, overall, I am very happy with this woofer. I have not dealt with subs as long or as extensively as many of you probably have, but I have done my fair share. Although the 13Av.2 is unlike any other sub I have heard, I will still try to do a little comparison for all of you that appreciate that...let's go with the SQ of a Infinity Perfect and 115% of the SPL of a Kicker L7 (I figure those are some common ones a lot of you have probably heard).

The sound quality of this thing is excellent (and after their reps comparing it to the W7, it had better be). It keeps up with any kind of music I throw at it and loves every minute. The SPL is also very impressive. My car really does not like getting loud, and this thing slams. It is noticeably louder than my L7 when I was feeding that 850RMS. It is actually loud enough that my ears are uncomfortable, but that comes every time you upgrade I suppose. My absolute favorite aspect of this sub is that it kicks the sh*t out of the lows. I finally have the experience of real chest pounding bass. As others say occasionally, it feels like I am being kicked in the chest on the low notes. I love it :-)

I went through my entire collection of music that I had in the car, so here is a little taste of everything I have.

Hard Rock (Mudvayne): I will come out with the eD's least favorite music first. I am a little puzzled on this one for the record. Without a doubt, the sub has no problem keeping up with the quick bass drum kick that is characteristic of this kind of music. However, it does not have the authority I expected. With the SPL abilities of this sub, I was expecting a strong punch, and it is SOMEWHAT lacking. I personally think it is the product of the box. I am not sure what changes could be made, but I am very confident you could pull the bass out.

Rock (Three Days Grace): As with above, the authority is just not there 100%. Certain songs with a strong bass line in it are great, but the assertiveness is not always there.

Country (Garth Brooks): The 13Av.2 plays country flawlessly. Obviously country does not have the most bass, but it blends in very well. Absolutely no complaints here.

Pop (no band in particular): This is where the eD starts to shine. A lot of the songs I listened to had strong bass lines, and they all sounded great. The bass was loud and clear!

Rap (no band in particular): WOW...all bass was loud, clear, and hit hard (especially the low, low notes). Zero complaints here, and this is, without a doubt, the strongest genre for the eD. I absolutely love listening to rap with this woofer.

Alright, so this is about all I have for ya :-) Sorry it took so long, and for any of you that actually read the whole thing, grab yourself a beer, you earned it lol. I got a little carried away. So, if you have any questions or comments, shoot away!

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1721
Nice review.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2333
Pics
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/456496.html

Day 1 Box
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/462789.htm

Day 2 Box
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/463551.html

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2259
I bet ya the rock qualms you have could be solved by building another box. I'd contact Pete but you know I'm biased because I've tried one of his designs and KNOW the difference it can and will make. Take that, Dave! lol

Good review though, man. Thanks for taking the time! Makes me want to try a pair... Errrr... I better work lots this summer.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

All he does is catch t..., Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 14096
dibbs, if you get rid of it :-)

nice review

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1850
Nice,detailed review. Those subs look sweet!

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2334
Thanks guys!

Alright Chauncey, you got it if I get rid of it.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13397
good review

damn ! - i never realised how friggin tall that ed sub really is ....

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 379
Great review. nice work.

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 361
great review dude... godamn im glad you came out with this now... i almost bought a fi q for my spring break present to match my AQ1200 but dmn. im buyin that thing asap!! is it still in prototype phases or is there somewhere i can buy one? and is the AQ a good match for this sub?

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2335
Yeah, that amp would be great for it.

They are fully available now: edesignaudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7505
Well as I'm sure you remember I still don't care for the surround but from your review it sounds like a great sub and I'm glad you like it. If it can keep up with Mudvayne's drum kick drums that's pretty impressive.

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 362
kickass thanks BCS! just made the purchase.... damnnn im excited. goin to get suplies for the new box for it!

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2336
Yeah Rob, I definitely know what you mean with the surround. It is impressive, and it works well for me tho.

One thing I didn't note was how much excursion this thing has...it moves! I will try to get some vids eventually.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2337
haha nice Nick

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2268
God. I saw that video they had. That was nuts. Can't wait for yours though.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

2008 Nissan Versa!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2348
VID!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2338
Bump for any others interested

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 914
hey i gat a cam if u want to do a vid text me if u want to?

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2339
We can get together at some point...maybe when you pick out a new car or something. I have a cam I can take a vid on tho, so no worries there. Thanks tho!

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 915
yep i want to hear this thing lol the car i was lookin at is at 18th and O

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2276
I thought you were posting a video. Now I'm depressed... You should send me that sub to make me feel better.

JP.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2340
Sorry Cam...I will eventually, I just need to find time.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2277
lol Cool, man. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 198
damn that thing sounds good

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1012
that rock problem is def the box i run a type - r and exactly as you said everything slams hard but mudvayne and three days grace just don't have the balls to kick you like rap and others it just kind of sounds like the box is unable to hit the notes. i'm sure tuning would punch it up as mentioned.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2286
I think it's probably MUCH more of a complicated fix than screwing with the Fb.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2289
I just had a thought, BCS. Does your mid-bass keep up with the sub? Since the punch comes at the mid-bass frequencies, you might want to play with the crossover and box placement (turn it around?) and whatever else you can think of. Even use the EQ on your HU to boost around 70 Hz a bit. Let me know how that works out.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2341
My setup is pathetic. I have a Sable with electronic climate control. There is no way for me to even put a deck in my car without custom work. So, I am running a stock headunit and six Kenwood speakers with no amp. It's bad, I know, but I don't want to do anything more with this car. I will be getting a new one ASAP.

So, the signal is not the best, and the midbass is no where near up to par. It's definitely a good thought Cam.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2290
OK well if you get the chance to turn the box around and mess with your subwoofer amp's LPF frequency, I'd like to know what sort of difference that makes as I have no way of experimenting myself ATM. Good luck with the new car.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2342
I can mess with the LPF...I really can't move the box tho. It's really tight lol

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2292
Ah. Right; I completely forgot, man. You might be able to improve it a bit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us