Ruckus

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6492
Rarely do I ever make an OT thread in this section, but I felt this one was really worth it........ and it's about music which sort of relates to car audio so :-)

Ruckus. www.ruckus.com

It's like iTunes or any other online music store, but FREE for anyone with a .edu college email address. Yep, you can download music for free. The ads are how they pay for the music, so help them out and click a few ads when you're there.

You register, download the program, and then it connects you to the website where you can browse and download music. Simple as that.

Now, the catch is that the music is in protected WMA format with DRM. But that is easily fixed :-)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h9phpp

That little program will strip the DRM off the WMA files, with no loss of quality. Then, you can do whatever you want with un-DRM'd files, copy them to other computers, burn to CDs, put on your MP3 player, etc. That program is pretty straight foreword to use, every time you download songs, add them to the list to convert and select a folder to put the unprotected files in.

BTW that program will work with files from any other online music store except itunes also.

Some people may know about this already, but I just want to throw it out there for those who don't.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1189
Yea i heard about that the other day.. would be cool if i went to College.. but I'm taken a break from skool lol... Thanks anyways

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6494
Got any friends in college? Get one to sign up and let you use their account :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8757
I'm signed up but never use it. I can't transfer the songs over to iTunes and thats all I use to make/listen to music. I know I have to download some file conversion thing but its just too big of a hassle to go through though.

Good place nonetheless.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6499
It's very simple. You select the files to convert, click one button, and done.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6503
I thought there'd be more intrest in this........ where does everybody get their music from now?

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1476
Newsgroups and IRC is the way to go.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2053
I use Albumwash/MegaDownload (searches MegaUpload and RapidShare). I'd use this if I was in college or knew someone who would let me use their email.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2247
yeah, my girl just got her email address a week or so ago so I might have to try this out. Does it have videos too? I need a good site for music video downloads

Gold Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, 135.5dbs!!!!

Post Number: 1086
torrents , good enough for me.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6504
It does indeed have video........ don't know if they're downloadable or just streaming, never tried it.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 838
i have a mac...i cant do it

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 754
yea my friend told me about this a couple weeks ago...

already downloaded a couple hundred songs lol..
can dl entire cds w/in a minute its awesome

thanks for the info m.s., i was content with just listening to it on my laptop, now i can make cds

Silver Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 754
lol damn i think ima steal ma friends .edu email address haha..

"now i can make cds " makin cds FTL
ipod FTW :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
yea i have an ipod too, but i like cds every once and a while lol

im gonna try puttin them into itunes and see if it works today

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1192
M.S. i use torrents.. Thats how i got up to 50,000 songs at one point.. Limewire has gotten better so i occasionally use that

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4418
in college you can't use anything except for ruckus to download unless you want your sh1t ripped by the RIAA

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1195
Soem colleges have Firewalls.. where u can't use anything else, and some also can't connect to xbox live cause of this firewall.. FAU is one of them schools

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2352
router kangology, router....they tried to keep me off xbox live....didn't work. that was when I was in the dorms, course I had to wait til late at night to use it, cause if I tried to use it during the day, I would shut down the internet to my hall....lol

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1196
Hey isn't me.. but i'll tell them to try that.. Still sucks any ways cause u have to wait.. i think it is dum how they block that

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2355
well I don't have to wait anymore, I'm in an apartment now, and the only good thing about it here, is that I can download music/movies, surf the net, and play xbox live with no LAG what so ever...lol

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2356
but yeah I just went and got like a $20 router from BB one day. worked/works just fine

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2057
If anyone is feeling extremely nice and wouldn't mind letting me use their account for this (as long as they don't send a link to your email or something that actually requires checking the .edu email address to get the music), that would be really appreciated.

camrennie<at>shaw.ca

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 277
Router? I'm curious to hear why placing a router in your dorm room would allow you to have access to more ports than you would normally have using the same wall jack that you had hooked up to your computer / xbox. Also shutting down the whole dorm because of it should not happen either. But, I for one know about the quality of IT personnel at colleges, typically less informed than the end users they support, so anything is possible.

Speaking of colleges cutting corners in IT, my college has .org emails. There's sooooo much free stuff(usefull stuff, not music) available to .edu addresses, I and some fellow student have tried to make our school see the need to change to .edu with no success.

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2361
I'm not sure why, but there was a firewall or something of the sort (I'm unfamiliar with IT), blocking me from connecting to xbox live, I heard a router would work. so I got a cheapo router and it let me connect.

as for shutting down, the internet was slow anyway, so during mid-day when there was the most traffic, running xbox live in my room was damn near impossible, I would use up so much bandwidth it would kick me and the rest of the hall off the internet for a time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
So you just went out and bought one, and hooked it up just as it came out of the box?

Interesting... I'm a tech geek so I'll prolly mess around with that on my 2 routers and see what happens.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1514
limewire for single random songs....

And torrents for albums

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6519
My school blocks Bittorrent as do many others.........

" Speaking of colleges cutting corners in IT, my college has .org emails. "

Community college? Only 4+ year schools can get .edu addresses.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
It's a 4 year school, just a crappy one to go to if you're not gonna be a nurse, lol, makes for a decent female population though

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6520
I hear that, nursing is one of the biggest majors here also :-)

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2362
yeah it wasn't wireless if that's what youre confused about. but I just hooked it up directly, in between my comp and wall socket and xbox.

limewire for viruses

torrent agents for everything, can't find what you're looking for? use a different host website:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 756
M.S. - thanks a ton man, that program finally worked for me.. i had to download another one with it to get a license key or somethin but now its money.

gettin em on my ipod now

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6538
Now thats why I posted this...... free, easy music FTW

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2367
lol

hey M.S. can I get your email? I need to ask you about some stuff pertaining to our vehicles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us