Voltage?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1108
My amp is capable of accepting up to 18 volts but how would i be able to get that much out of my electrical system? not sure what my new MCR alternator is going to put out but i bet its not anywhere near 18 volts probably more like 14.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 4010
there's a lot of sh!t you have to do to get a daily 18v system... it's really impractical though.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6110
Your electrical system runs at 14.4 volts max. You would have to create an enitre seperate electrical system to run higher voltage, VERY expensive.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1109
thats what i thought nvm that then.

Bronze Member
Username: Letgetemp

BROOKLN, NY

Post Number: 67
try 144 amps

with 25 volts

and the rev cumilator

with the trans sender

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1112
tru that. good idea! why didnt i think of that

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13783
Im pretty sure Polo runs a 16v system, u might wanna ask him

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1114
Yea i think he does too but im not gonna bother i just gotta get my 200 amp alt installed and build my new box. im sure i will be satisfied. i should be running my sx's on 2200 watts and 5 cubes net when all said and done. im just pretty dissapointed with the output at this point but i have my gain all the way down (5volts) and im using my old 3.8cube box. hopefully it will get much louder when i set my gains for my 4 volt preouts and put then in the larger box.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7904
Mark how do you have those subs firing in your car...if its forward from my experience with a car similar to that its probably pretty strong on the low frequencies and dies off pretty quickly up higher

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1119
i have the firing foreward rite now pratically sealed off from the trunk and it is pretty bad on the lows and strong on the upper. i turned the subs around and put the subs almost touching the trunk lid and it sounded much better but i couldnt leave it like that because my amp isint mounted yet as this setup is just temporary and i had to put it on the box amd it was likely to slide and fall off.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 575
just screw it into the back of your seat no?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1123
nahh i can wait till i build my new box next week.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 125
if your talking about screwing the amp to the back of the seat, no, i screw all the amps in my cars to the speaker box.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7906
"i have the firing foreward rite now pratically sealed off from the trunk and it is pretty bad on the lows and strong on the upper. i turned the subs around and put the subs almost touching the trunk lid and it sounded much better but i couldnt leave it like that because my amp isint mounted yet as this setup is just temporary and i had to put it on the box amd it was likely to slide and fall off."

hmm just the opposite...well thats a good thing ...the larger box should balance things out

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1124
yea thats what im hoping any ways plus usually a larger box makes it louder in general.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 209
the sub box is not a great place to screw the amp in to

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 130
I think a larger box would work.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6124
NEVER mount amplifiers to a speaker box

Quote http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.
REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6824
I've had my amps mounted on my box for a while. As long as you can't feel any vibrations while your subs are bumping the amps won't feel any vibrations either. I'll let you guys know when my 4 amps that are box mounted fail.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 578
thank you m.s.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2096
wait....you have the amp just "sitting" on top of the box, not screwed even onto the box? just resting?

I really hope that's not what you meant.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1126
alright just to clear this up i do not have my amp mounted or reating on my box i did that for a total of 5-10 minutes just to test how my subs sounded facing the trunk and i also had a thick foled up towel between the amp and box so that it wouldnt vibrate. as of now my subs face into the cabbin and the amp is on the trunk floor. when all waid and done i plan to mount the amp on my rear shelf.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us