FI Q vs Icon

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 691
I just ran a WINisd of the icon, Q, BL, and SX and beleive it or not the q and icon had the best response in my box. should i trust this? if so which driver is better the q or icon? i have 2200 rms for them to eat up can the icons take it?

ps hopefully this will be my last thread about this hahaha.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 692
also what does the bp power option on the q do?

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 355
doesnt it add 200-500watts rms handling to it? It says it on the Fi website

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 693
o well i only have 2200 rms so i dont think i will ne needing that.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5799
Q and icon, basically the same sub, fi OEMs them. buy whats cheaper or whatever you want the dust cap to say. i havnt heard the icon but this is what i hear.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1679
The Q and Icon have different TS parameters. I dunno.

WinISD won't model very accurately, by the way. It doesn't take the car's cabin into consideration.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1876
2200 rms with that with you will need the bp option i emailed scott and he said that i should use that and i only run 1500rms..... he also said that if you run your subs hard it will be good...

you just running one sub ??

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 702
no 2 12's. the Q is rated at 1000 rms so i would think it could take 1100 without the bp option. or is the 1000 rms with the bp option?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1682
Nah, they're 1000 with no options, I believe.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1226
get the icon

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 2753
A long time ago Scott said on this forum that he does not recommend more than 1300rms on a regular Q.

The BP does a few different things to the sub.

"This new option adds a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also add 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack for a little extra mechanical ability.
All of these new features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application. "

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8161

The T/S parameters of the Q and Icon are very similar. Denim will tell you that the Icon will get just a tad louder than the Q but both are very god drivers.

You cant really get a real world result from WINisd, just an idea. There are way more factors to be added in a real world situation.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 704
yea i know but if its louder in open air at every frequency then shouldnt it be louder in my car at every frequency as well?

btw between the SX, BL, Q, Icon, and id max the id max was the loudest BY FAR and at every frequency but i dont think they will take the 1100 rms each they will be seeing. if i can get ssa to cut me a deal on the icons i will probly get them. FI wont wheel and deal with me :-(.

Mark

Gold Member

Post Number: 1879
yeah win isd doesnt take cabin gain into consideration........ i used a it on my Treo TSX i got a 19db gain from what win isd said so i just use that as an estimate in "MY" car dont know how your car is...... but it gives you an idea on how it acts with a sub that you know nuthing about you know

win isd FTW

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1688
LEAP 5 FTW.

Not being able to afford it FTL.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 709
tru that. well if i cant get a deal on the icons then sx it is.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 557
What many people have learned is WinISD cannot be accurately trusted for real life response or performance. It is an ok gauge of what might happen, but not accurate. Leap is very good.

Also, the ICON and the Q are not the same sub, so who ever wants to spread that false info needs to stop please.

The ICON and the Q are in the same class of sub, have similar performance, and both are very good high excursion SQ subs. But they are different drivers, just look at the specs and the pictures and you can see. As for which one is louder, that is all in the install and the power given. It is a win win choice which ever way you choose.

Mark Scafetta, email me at support@soundsolutionsaudio.com. We are already giving free shipping, as it is, on a very heavy sub woofer, but if you are getting a pair I can give a little multi-item discount. Looking forward to your email.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 2756
denim FTW!

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7532
winisd is for free air applications...

sometimes u compare x vs x vs x and one of them seems or looks like its bad.. and when uput it in yourcar.. the acoustics of the cars makes it outperform the other subwoofers u though it was better..

it really depends in alot of things... not just with winisd ull see how good it is

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 719
email sent

Anyways is it safe to assume that as long as the subs are in the same box that winisd will be able gauge which setup is louder? or is it possible that even having the same box that the subs wont all be effected equally by cabin gain?

not really sure if im making sence or not

i wish i had leap

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5805
denim, i clearly said BASICALLY, iv posted the same before and you basically agreed with me.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1919
Mat you BASICALLY got PWNED lmfao

Gold Member

Post Number: 1885
and how is win isd for free air applications.... you mean it only tells you output in a free air "enviroment"

and i agree that the acoustics of your car has alot to do with it...but if you want to gauge the sub there you go

oh zpeppfily mclovilin im still waitn on proof about the ava???

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5809
ray every time you post you pwn yourslef.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1925
learn how to spell feggy lmao "yourslef" PWNED

but like always you know i'm just playing bud ;)

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 729
ok so i dont really think i understand still. if the graph says its louder is it going to be louder or not? same box was ran on all subs and they will all be going into the same car.

or is it possible that one with a worse graph can still be louder even if the only difference is the driver itself, everything else held constant?

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5812
it all comes down to box and power really.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 737
alright then im just gonna get the cheapest ones in that case.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1929
Bad choice son pay for quality ;)

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 739
they are all quality. as i said before im not buying xplodes lol. its between the sx, icon, q, bl, and id max. all of which are high quality.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1931
ok i'm gonna exclude the id max cus i don't even know where it would go but in my opinion

BL>SX>ICON>Q if you want output

SX>BL>ICON>Q if you want output with low end

Q>ICON>SX>BL If you want SQ

and i'm sure the Id Max would be some great SQL

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 742
i think you may have mixed up the Q and BL or are you referring to my specific enclosure?

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1933
idk i'm excluding your specific enclosure i'm just talking in general the BL is meant to get louder than the Q, the Q is meant more for SQ and the SX would be in like the middle it has output while retaining some SQ and low end ;) the BL can get louder than an SX but lacks in the low end compared to the SX so yeah.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16980
ray you make it seem like you tried all those subs. that is a bold statement you are making.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1934
its called research my friend ;) i actually do extensive research on every sub before i buy my subs i dont just go posting threads asking for opinions and seeing as i'm a bold person i'll go ahead and make this bold statement. :-)

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 744
according to what you said your "greater than less than signs" are going the wrong way LOL. 5>4 that means 5 is gretar than 4

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1935
what are you talking about Mark?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 745
o actully i get it now you were just doing a rank from right to left left being best. nvm im slow. but still 5>4.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 746
yo you totally edited that sh1t ray. nice try tho LMAO.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1936
Mark you got issues bro :-( i have no clue what your talking about though sorry

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6511
"ray you make it seem like you tried all those subs. that is a bold statement you are making."

I agree.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16981
he said he researched it all so its cool.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2353
"id max the id max was the loudest BY FAR and at every frequency but i dont think they will take the 1100 rms each"

False. Thats a perfect amount of power for an ID max and i would take the ID max over any of the other subs mentioned x5. However i find it hard to believe it will be louder than an SX or BL.

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 210
Just got my new 15 Q today :-) :-) :-) :-)
Q FTW

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16984
the new idmax is sick. wish i had the money to try them out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6513
"idk i'm excluding your specific enclosure i'm just talking in general the BL is meant to get louder than the Q, the Q is meant more for SQ and the SX would be in like the middle it has output while retaining some SQ and low end ;) the BL can get louder than an SX but lacks in the low end compared to the SX so yeah."

This makes no sense. How can you exclude his enclosure when all of the above subs will perform far differently in that enclosure? Is the above statement based upon each subs optimal enclosure using the same power across all subs or is the above statement based upon each subs optimal enclosure and maximum RMS power handling in that enclosure? Also are all the enclosures tuned to the same frequency? Have you researched each and every one of the above subs performance and output in their optimal sealed enclosure? Comparing subs is usally never fair for 2 reasons, 1.They have different power needs or handling and 2.They require different enclosures. A "fair" way to test them would be to take two different subs and use a single enclosure to test between the two while giving the subwoofers the same amount of power, basically a drop-in test and note the frequency response and output via a meter or sensor. I highly doubt you've researched all of this Ray.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2355
"the new idmax is sick. wish i had the money to try them out."

You do! :-)

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1937
why are you making such a big deal out of this before i posted i said this is MY OPINION its just an opinion not fact he doesn't even have to listen to me you just like to blow sh!t out of proportion. It would be great if you came on this thread to try and help people instead of trying to flame them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6514
"why are you making such a big deal out of this before i posted i said this is MY OPINION its just an opinion not fact he doesn't even have to listen to me you just like to blow sh!t out of proportion. It would be great if you came on this thread to try and help people instead of trying to flame them."

It's your opinion? You need to "research" what flaming is because you're so far off. I guess you're the only one who has made a big deal out of it, I'm merely posting in a reply to what you've posted, it's not a BIG deal to me :-)

"its called research my friend ;) i actually do extensive research on every sub before i buy my subs i dont just go posting threads asking for opinions and seeing as i'm a bold person i'll go ahead and make this bold statement. "

I guess your opinion is equivalent to research cool.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1938
out of the respect that i had for you when we were cool i'm just gonna let this go good job bro you pwned me later.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6518
Nobody pwned you Ray. I wanted to know where you got your research from and the details of it that's all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6519
Ray, I went out of my way just to find this thread as a gift to you to show that there was no hostility in this thread

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/375774.html

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1939
ok Bro no worries lol that thread cracked me up good old Harv gettin PWNED by everyone on E good times.

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

After 194dBs your car ..., North carolina

Post Number: 783
lol big harv ftl
Rob's multi-pwn ftw

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 747
"False. Thats a perfect amount of power for an ID max and i would take the ID max over any of the other subs mentioned x5. However i find it hard to believe it will be louder than an SX or BL."

according to winISD the ID max killed all of the other subs i have mentioned.

"it all comes down to box and power really."

the charts i generated were all in the same box and on the same power

so should i go with the one thats the loudest according to the chart or is it possible that the same car can have different effects on the different woofers even if they are in the same box and in the same position?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7536
wait killeracing wants me to prove that an alpha gets lower than an avalanche..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 752
denim i never got a reply back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7540
go with the best you like not the best u think winisd is better... winisd is just a reference if your using them for car audio

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 754
in that case im gonna get the sx's and pray i dont have retarted port noise.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7541
subs are not the reason for retarder port noise... is your tuning,your box, your port area, and your box volume is what causes port noise..

port velocity=port noise

sometimes the bigger the port area the better.. yes is true as long as you dont past the optimunt amount allowable the port crates some kind of load to the subwoofer.

thats why when you put ports... it creates a load to the woofer by slowing air down and help the woofer creates more preassure..

too much slowing air is what makes port noise happen and reduce output thats why most people tell you to go with the most port area as you can..

do that with the sxs... and you will be a happy re audio customer with no dissapointments

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 559
Mat Dope:

I was not trying to "own" you. The ICON and Q share a basket style and surround. If I ever agreed with you on it being the same sub woofer, I must have misunderstood your post. They are in the same class of driver and have similar performance but they are not the same sub, thats all.

Mark Scafetta:
Mark, I saw the email, you sent it after I got off line last night. SSA is still very small and both of us work full time. I will respond to your email as soon as I finish this post. I don't see any RE tech's in here.

RayRay:
Have you heard an ICON in person yet?

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1940
no i haven't. I've only heard the SX in person.

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 560
Was asking because you had ranked the subs in 3 different categories without hearing some.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1942
yeah if you didn't read the whole thread that has already been brought to my attention bud but thanks ;)

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

After 194dBs your car ..., North carolina

Post Number: 785
i wish i could hear an Icon.

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 561
Ok, my fault.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1707
"A "fair" way to test them would be to take two different subs and use a single enclosure to test between the two while giving the subwoofers the same amount of power, basically a drop-in test and note the frequency response and output via a meter or sensor."

Now I know you are fairly knowledgeable, man, but would that really be a fair comparison?

Different subs would have different optimal enclosures, so while one sub may be in the perfect enclosure for itself and the vehicle, the other may have benefited from a slightly different box. In this case, "perfect" is defined as whatever you're looking for in your sub-stage.

IDK, using one box didn't seem quite fair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us