Will it do 146db+?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 4013
Ive been trying to plan out a perfect daily system for the near future and wanted some opinoins on what it will take to hit atleast 146db at 32hz if not atleast 148db... and in the 150s a bit higher i wanna go with 4 12's and have about 2cu for each they would all be seperate boxes for them to all fit in the trunk and be positioned correctly, 2 ports would fire directly up through a space that the stock sub was removed from getting more airflow into the cabin and the rear middle of the seat comes down for a bit more air... the other 2 ports would fire into the center rear of the trunk all subs firing towards the rear, ill have 300A alt when finished so im hoping to reach this goal with 2500rms or so leaving me with 500rms or so for components and all... any ideas\opinoins on this? I was thinking W6\RL-P box would be tuned in low 30's range

Gold Member

Post Number: 4017
and any opinions on the AA Arsenals?
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=164

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3111
Its hard to say there is so much sh!t that matters. 146 loud and 150 is insane do you know what you are doing if so that helps alot.

But heres a start 4 12" AudioQue SD2.5's on that 2500RMS.

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 202
@32 HZ to acheive 150DB at that note will be tough. Even 146db @ 32HZ is REALLY hard in the trunk. Because if you can do 146db @ 32hz you will break 150 at around 37-40HZ.
Make sure the subwoofer you use is able to play 30hz really hard.

I would reccomend researching your vehicle to see what others have been able to do tuned that low and the designs they used to get some ideas.

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1470
Steve, haha, that is completely wrong.

Yes, 150db in a trunk at 32 hz will take the right equipment and some skill.

But the statement,
"Because if you can do 146db @ 32hz you will break 150 at around 37-40HZ. ",
what are you talking about man?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6435
Maybe Steve was saying that if you had the right equipment or if you could do an install that could hit those numbers at that frequency that you could have a car that hits 150 on the same equipment? I dunno...

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 59
Steve,

I definitely do not have the skills many of you have, so I am not quite sure how that works? Could you explain how this extrapolation is obtained.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 559
I think what Steve means is that if you can do 146 db's @ 32hz that if you tuned it to 37-40 hz you will break 150 db's

but i might be pointing out the obvious

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7478
I think hes claiming that you would get that much more spl above its 32 hz port tune because its 5-8 hz above tuning and most cars have this characteristic....but I think Zac is saying that isnt a hard and fast rule to get 4 db more which I would probably agree with

Gold Member

Post Number: 7479
but im sure Steve knows this too....and it was just a quick guess

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 207
Pretty much
In my experience if a box is tuned to 32HZ and say you can do 146 @ 32hz you will be the loudest like you said 5-8hz above the tuning.

It isnt to say that happens 100% of the time but it has been my experience.

In my 2003 tahoe i had a box with 2 15" Alphas running off a 3250.1 tuned to 32hz about 8 cubes.
32hz was 147.1/ 36 hz 148.2/ 43 hz 150.1

when i took the same subs and put them in a 10 cube box tuned to 36HZ i did
146.1 @ 32hz/ 148.4 @ 36hz/ 150.8 @ 42hz

all was done on music. But like i said it is possible diffrent boxes or vehicles will react diffrently. the Larger box lowered my F3 so i could still play lower notes but be louder around 36+hz.

Now i have two heavyweight 15" in there on one 3250 we will see how that does. Later this month i will be adding a second 3250.1 and 3 more powemaster 3100's.

Another thing is i always build my boxes for daily ground pounder applications. So maybe Spl boxes are slightly diffrent in how they respond.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4029
there we go now u see what i mean sean. whats it gunna take? im buying the best of anytthing i find when i do it

Gold Member

Post Number: 7483
well my opinion would be use what you own now to see where your at with a 32 hz tone with a single 12 and then two 12's just to see how things work....keeping your space limits in mind using four 12's

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 208
Killa
You said A-town in your SIg.
A-town do you mean Atlanta? Because if it is i can let you hear some subwoofers and some 150+ daily rides.

to get some ideas

Gold Member

Post Number: 7484
that would be a good idea esp.if they have a vehicle done similar to the one you have

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1485
Steve, I'm not sure what you were experiencing but thats not how SPL set-ups respond.

The boxes you have built seem to like the higher frequency but it had nothing to do with adding 5-8hz, it was the cabin gain that gave you higher amplitude.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4030
well i dont have much at all anymore i sold all my old stuff because i wanted to start from scratch again. Im thinking if not 4(undecided) 12's then 6 type r's if i can get away wit em fitting and do 3K on em, all in all if i can atleast hit 150db+ under 40hz ill be happy aslong as 32hz is still sounding good n loud and close in comparison to the SPl

Gold Member

Post Number: 4031
also A-town (alsip) lol

hey zac is that DD shop in beloit? i never seen a single sound shop out there but then again i havnt lived there in about 10 years and havnt visited in a few...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4037
^bump

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3876
I know Beloit has a Walgreens, lOl. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1609
zac he wasn't talking about SPL boxes...he was talking about daily boxes....

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1491
Thieves, he is still wrong. That was the case for his particular vehicle and build, but it should never be considered to be a rule of thumb, its just not accurate information.

Yes my shop is in Beloit. We're directly between Milwaukee, Chicago, and Madison. Like any city we have the good with the bad. It is getting better though, two years ago I was robbed at gunpoint and I shot the guy with my 45. He shot back, bla bla bla, nobody got hurt, he got away without any money, i called the cops, they found him a month later. I guess what I'm saying is beloit is a small city with big city crime. Murders all the time, robberies, ect., it's ridiculous.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5795
You know, come to think about it...don't Tahoe's usually like ~41-44hz?

I have never really played w/ a Tahoe much for strictly SPL, but have metered quit a few. I seem to remember seeing ALOT of them peaking around there.

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1493

Gold Member

Post Number: 5796
Thats what I thought

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16719
yeah berny's tahoe was peaking at around those frequencies canaan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5797
Either way, 47's at 32hz daily is mean :-)

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1611
"I shot the guy with my 45. He shot back, bla bla bla, nobody got hurt"

that's great:-)

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1495
Yeah tell me about it, I had guns pulled on me in the past but that was the first time ever hearing them go bang with bullets being fired at me. ugg! Changed things a little, I'm a little less trusting of customers I don't know that look shady. You never know, unfortunately thats why we keep a gun on us at the store, pitiful really.

Canaan, oh yeah I agree!, 47's at any freq is hella loud daily :D

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1613
my question is, how did you shoot the fool and then no one got hurt? did you mean, you shot at him? lol

guns are dangerous, but I guess it may be somewhat of a necessary evil in your position

Gold Member

Post Number: 7494
im not convined that a resonant frequency is just one frequency or a select few....We peak at 54 to 55 hz almost all the time but one time we peaked at 59 hz on 1200 - 1400 watts vs 54-55hz on 2600 watts with A 15 and the rated power on the sub was 1400 rms....this was in a spl box

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1496
harmonics

Gold Member

Post Number: 5798
In many cases, your actually res. freq w/ shift as you get louder.
That added power can have huge effects on SPL and freq. responce.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7495
can you explain that to me Zac

Gold Member

Post Number: 7496
why did our res. freq go up on less power though 54-55 to 59 hz on less

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1497
That is very common Sean. As stated before, this also is relative to the vehicle and system.
In the Rex, I ran 63hz, with the same woofers and enclosure, but with twice the power, the note was 60hz.
As for harmonics, call me up, we don't wanna give up all our secrets haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5799
Exactly, when I first got my old 9515D and reconed it the nite before a comp...I peaked at 53hz on a jbl bp1200.1 at 1.4ohm.

Then when I swapped to a IA20.1 and burped at .35ohm, I peaked at 48-49hz.
The only change was the amp and load.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7502
zac davis... That is very common Sean. As stated before, this also is relative to the vehicle and system.
In the Rex, I ran 63hz, with the same woofers and enclosure, but with twice the power, the note was 60hz.
As for harmonics, call me up, we don't wanna give up all our secrets haha.

haha your right....sometimes I think I give up to much too...I might just do that

Gold Member

Post Number: 4038
zac knoes what im saying no1 ever believes me on that

Gold Member

Post Number: 4039
and that amp moved that sub pretty good canaan right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us