Help With Broken Factory Stereo

Username: Kramer2718

Portland, OR

Post Number: 1
The stereo in my car stopped working. It is a 1994 Lexus ES 300 ... factory unit with the 6 disc changer in the trunk. It sort of turns on and will play the fm radio for a little bit, but not as loud as it should be and then just says CD Err. I can get that factory stereo on-line for about 250 bucks, but would rather put in something nicer. So my questions are these:

1) Do you guys think that the amp is broken or just the stereo?
2) How would I find out?
3) Will it decrease the vehicle value if I put in a nice after market stereo rather than the factory model?
4) Would a later model Lexus Stereo be compatible?
5) If I do decide to go for an after market stereo, what should I get?
6) Who should I get to install it for me?

Silver Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 118
Does it have a separate amp factory? CD err seems like a CD error, you might look that up or call a service tech at a dealer and ask what the code means.

Username: Kramer2718

Portland, OR

Post Number: 2
So I called up the dealer. He said that it's probably a short. Not really worth having them look at it since I don't want a crappy 1994 era factory stereo anyway. And apparently, it won't be compatible with later model factory units, so I'll probably have to end up buying an after market stereo.

He did mention that the amp was integrated with the unit, so I'll either have to get a new amp and deck or an integrated unit. I was thinking about going to Car Toys and seeing what they had. Is that a pretty good place to shop? Anything that I should look for?

I don't need anything too loud or super hi fi. I'm looking for decent sound, good reception, utility (i.e. line in, decent interface), and reliability. Cheaper is definitely better. I'm thinking a $200 budget ought to get something decent.

Any recommendations or suggestions are much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 120
You could dig up the changer cable and make sure it has good connection, especially if it is worse when it rains out. If you want new, I guess get a HU that fits the car and options you want. I would recommend a 4ch amp, but if you don't need it loud at all you can get away without it. A smaller used good brand can be picked up cheap, but up to you. I doubt the changer will work with aftermarket HU. I tend to like alpine and pioneer HU, but others are good too. If you need mp3 player or other storage check out what HU accept and if you need a special cable or whatnot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us