Infinity Amp???

Username: Polkaudio

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 1
I know basically nothing about car audio so I was hoping someone could help me out, thanks.

I bought this Infinity 7521a 2-channel 380watts max amp a long time ago, because it was on sale for $40, but now I'm thinking it wont be enough for my 2x MTX 10" subwoofers I want to hook up soon. I'm not sure the specs on the subs because they were a gift from a friend so I'm not sure what they need.

I was also thinking about getting new subs, but I'm not sure what size I should get or even what brand. I like Polk Audio and all my speakers are that, but are there any cheaper better ones?

Any help anyone can give me would be great. Thank you in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 273
specs on your amp...

# 97 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
(142 watts x 2 at 2 ohms)
# 283 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms

283 watts isnt going to push much...so i'd consider an upgrade.

what kind of budget do you have and at least figure out the series (4500,9500, etc) on the mtx subs. did they come in an MTX box or did your friend have a box for them?

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 2
What would be a good cheap amp? Probably no more than $150 for the amp.

I don't think he has a box for them either, but they also look really used thats why I want to upgrade.

Well I was hoping to not have to pay anymore than $250 for the subs and the box all together. I have a small car so I don't need anything to awfully big.

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
Alright so no on the MTX subs. Would you be ok with 1 15" sub instead of 2 10s or 12s? With your budget, that is going to be a better choice.

And do you like low notes that shake the car (SQ) or higher notes that are louder (SPL)? Or do you want a mix of both?

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 3
Would 1 15" sub still sound good and have a big bass? I know nothing about subs sorry. But if you think that would be fine than yeah I would be ok with just 1 15".

Well I'd probably want a mix of both high and low.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5059
Tim try this:

kicker CVR 4 ohm DVC
kicker zx 400.1

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
and budget is $400 total (sub(s), box, amp).

do you have wiring?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
that was a question^^^lol

and so we are not going to use the Infinity amp or MTX subs, is that ok Tim?

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 4
Well yeah, but cheaper is always better lol. It may take me some time to get the money for a new sub and an amp, so what first?
Yes I have wiring, but its can only handle I think up to 280watts, I'm not sure what that means though. I have sub speaker wire that can handle 1800watts(not like I need that though).

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 5
Well yes not using the MTX subs is fine, but if we could I would like to do something with this amp if I can.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 771
i have ran a decent amount of infinity amps and have to say thier real rock solid and take a pounding. i think that amp will kick enough power to keep you happy if your not really a bass head where u need to have your teeth chatter.

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 93
If you want to use that on subs, look for subs that are often not rated for lots of power and have higher efficiency. That would be the SPL rating in db, higher the better. (but enough watts for that amp of course)

I ran a little PPI 2x75 on a MTX 4500 10 and it did well, but a single 12 (infinity) did better even though I could not max it out. Those were sealed boxes, a ported will give you more bass but has to be made the right size for the subs...most subs tell you in the manual. I think I have that size infinity amp but have never used it. It seems to be built pretty well inside. Otherwise it would work nice on highs I would guess...or you could move it to highs later when you upgrade if you don't have one on highs now. IMO it should run a set of 10s fairly well for a daily driver, I would try it and see; why not. If you want to shake houses that is just too small of an amp, but you could make it work for music with an efficient sub setup. I had one of those cheap bazooka slot ported dual 10 boxes and it sounded pretty good on a better amp, not sure how long but it shook my garage door on the little PPI. Ported is not quite as accurate as sealed. There were a bunch of those boxes on ebay this spring. When you get done with it just sell it off. Just a suggestion to get you by if that is what you want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
I'd suggest saving until you have more, but i could put up an option for you to use with the Infinity amp until then...

Your budget is really too low to give you any options other than kicker...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Man you can pull some great deals off ebay if you look for a while. I snagged a newish alpine 350wrms at 2 ohms class D for close to $30, in great condition. Yes the big amps are more, but for $100 you can buy a lot. Check your pawn shops too, low ball them! I have bought amps for half what they wanted, especially in winter. Depends on if they want some cash flow or not. I saw an 800wrms at 2 ohm audiobahn go for $75, not the best but they work I've heard them. You can always get a system running cheap and have tunes, then upgrade as you go...if you don't have the cash that is what you do.

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 6
Well I think I'm going to have to use this amp for a while, but I do want new sub(s) so what should I get that would be good with the amp? I was hoping for a sub that would work with this amp, but also would be good with a better amp I will get later on.
Thanks everyone for all your help so far.

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 7
Ok how about this? (Keep in mind I know nothing lol)

KICKER KX500.2 Amp 1000watt max - about $150
POLK AUDIO MM2154DVC 15" Sub - about $120

Is that any good? I know its not using the Infinity amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
I have not used a lot of those brand subs, if I were going to buy new on a budget I'd look at Mach5 first, partsexpress (more SQ but not bad), my infinity seem to work fine, and MTX I like for big name. Many subs are good though, but big power subs need that power to work right...remember that, they will not work well on your small amp. You can buy two 12 pyramid original blue for $17ea+ship. I have seen the 10" work nice years back on a 2x75...even if they don't the price is right. It is a different game with low power, don't fall into the hype unless you buy a big amp. You need efficiency to get loud with less power. Some of the lower power subs at PE might work too. You need something that will just handle what you have, a little more if you run it into clipping. Well, that is my $.02.

Bronze Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 86
if u keep the amp u can get a decent little sub to add some bass. try these...
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5315

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2847

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3165

just a few suggestions...

Norwalk, OH USA

Post Number: 8
Ok I think I may have found out what subs I have right now
MTX RT10-04 Road Thunder
And I've looked at them again and I think I can use them for now, they don't look to used. Its just on one of them the surround in 1 spot looks like its wearing out, but besides from that they look ok.
Should I just use them for now until I can afford a better amp and then new sub(s)?

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 850
im not reading all the post,but if it hasnt been said already save up the money for a lil more

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
I would look them up, get the right size ported box and see what they do. Only issue is I think you will have to run it at 2x4ohms, so you can't get the most out of the amp if they are svc 4ohm subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us