Battery Q:

Silver Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 506
Wassup everyone I drive a 95" Saturn SL2 with a stock alternator and I just replaced the battery to a Delco. My question is can I run a battery in my trunk for my amp without it draining my front battery or killing my alternator wouldn't I just have to crank my car up any time I play my system

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 507
I already done upgraded my battery ground and positive just have to do the alternator but would this be a option I could do us a battery in trunk just make sure I crank my car anytime I play my system so it want drain my front battery is this correct ?

Bronze Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 75
yes it can unless you put a isolator or relay but thats not neccesary unless you are planing on playing you system alot without the car on, if you do most of you listening with the car on you will be fine, if you do put a battery in you trunk it has to be the same brand and model as front prefably built close to the same day as the front

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4055
^^^^^^ nailed it

The battery drain happens when the car is OFF. You would have to use an isolator to prevent it.

You will only benifit from more battery power when you play the stereo with the motor off. For playing it while driving, one good battery is all you need, as it's all up to the alternator to supply the power.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 509
alright so if I put a batteryn in the trunk it only benefits me when the car is OFF and when the car is on it doesn't benefit it just creates another load I assume

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5867
"You will only benifit from more battery power when you play the stereo with the motor off. For playing it while driving, one good battery is all you need, as it's all up to the alternator to supply the power."

This is true but it's also dependent on what your batteries are charged up to.If your batteries sit at 14volts with the engine off you're not going to drop below that with the engine on,see what I'm saying?Well...you'll drop below that eventually...

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4097
But if you had a battery that was to sit at 14 volts, that wouldn't work well in a car, as most alternators put out around 14 volts. The voltage of the battery has to be less than that of the alternator in order for the battery to charge properly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5871
It depends on what you train them at and they'll lose voltage as you bump around town :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2680
correct also externally regulated alternators go above 14v...

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 518
alright I am starting to understand but why can't you parallel 2 diff name brand batteries

Gold Member

Post Number: 5896
"alright I am starting to understand but why can't you parallel 2 diff name brand batteries"

Because they'll "Fight" each other.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4113
" correct also externally regulated alternators go above 14v... "

Since increasing voltage to above 14.4 volts is a good way to fry the cars electronics, I fail to see your point.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 520
alright thanks everyone

Gold Member

Post Number: 5902
"Since increasing voltage to above 14.4 volts is a good way to fry the cars electronics, I fail to see your point."

Haha,that's true. Mine all ran on 15 volts though and I was lucky nothing got stinky :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us