Birch wood

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 250
im gonna build some home theater speakers (full range) and i want something that looks nice, and i remember seeing the tcab box guy using birch wood for parts of his boxes, i was wondering if it was birch plywood or solid birch, because i don't think i will be able to find any solid birch big enough for my application?

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 289
You need to use what is called Baltic Birch. Its a 11 or 13 ply plywood. Just using regular 7 ply veneer core Birch plywood is a no-no.

Silver Member

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 251
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 497
That stuff gets pricy- post pics if you do the build :-)

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 307
BJ,

You really need to stop talking about things you don't have clue about when it comes to " building materials " for cabinets.

Nick,

You can use standard veneer core Birch Plywood for building the cabinets, it just all depends of the Grade of Birch Plywood you want to use because Veneer Core Birch Plywood is manufactured in 2 grade types - Shop & Cabinet.

Shop grade birch ply is more for building cabinets where the outside veneer finish would not be seen in such cabinetry where by stile and rail framing would be attached to the edges with doors.

Cabinet grade birch ply is to cabinetry where the veneer sides of the material would be exposed/finished.
Now, these veneer finish sides can be specified as to the type of veneer type you want and depending of veneer surface you as to appearance you want and finish grain pattern will determine the cost you pay.

Here's a link that will describe and show the different veneer " cuts " you can purchase on plywood.

BTW, You would also have to specify the same type of veneer for Baltic Birch, except you'll pay twice to three times as much and get less material per sq.ft.

http://www.woodgallery.com/veneercuts.html

http://www.comptonlbr.com/Veneer.html

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6439
Birch is nice stuff. a definate improvement over mdf when it comes to density. Ive used both recently since I got it free (birch that is)

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4223
"You really need to stop talking about things you don't have clue about when it comes to " building materials " for cabinets. "

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

gj fighting the competition...
birch = better then mdf
birch = more dollas then mdf
you get what you pay for!!!!

i would love birch but i aint made of money

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
I'm not fighting for anything other than BJ making statements that he needs to research more throughly before advising someone as what does or doesn't make a better grade of material to use for what the application of usage is.

Birch plywood is only a better product in certain aspects as to what the material is being used for.

Would I myself build sub boxes with Birch Plywood, not with shop or cabinet grade birch ply, there are voids within the veneer layers, plus the glues used in those layers have/may/will fail.

Baltic Birch, yeah, if the customer was willing to shell out the bucks given for what the material cost considering that Baltic Birch is sold only in 60 x 60 inch sheets or smaller depending on if the distributor can get it in small sheet size.

Birch/Baltic Birch Plywood is not denser than mdf, otherwise it would weight more than MDF.

However, I found a material that is every bit as good a Baltic Birch without the price of of it and is sold in 4 x 8 sheets.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 15190
fukkking driving always making smart azz comments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4228
:-(

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4867
Good old woodlawn.

Silver Member

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 252
so ur saying i should go with good one side regular birch? does birch stain dark colors very well? if it doesnt are there any other types of wood i could use

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Well, any wood species will accept a dark stain, birch is no exception and yes, there will be atleast one side that is good on a sheet of birch plywood.

However and you need to consider this is that you may have to go thru the stack until you find a sheet of birch that will have a grain pattern you find acceptable as to the appearance you want when finished.

Also, find a sheet that is the most stable, meaning straight and stay away from Home Depot because the last few times I wanted birch ply, it hasn't been the most stable looking stuff.

Lowes has always had good product and they stack the material pretty flat.

Silver Member

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 253
ok ill just get some 7 ply birch, ill definitley go to lowes then

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3436
I personally would use 1" thick MDF with a walnut or cherry veneer, especially if ported, birch if sealed.. JMHO Polo..

Silver Member

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 254
its going to be a transmission line

Silver Member

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 290
Phil, I have found something very funny about you. Over the times I have been around on the forums, I have noticed, ALWAYS, when someone has a different opinion from you, they "dont know what they are talking about." You have given the exact same opinion that I have... let me line it out for you. These are all direct quotes BTW...

Me- "Just using regular 7 ply veneer core Birch plywood is a no-no."

You- "BJ, You really need to stop talking about things you don't have clue about when it comes to " building materials " for cabinets."

You again- (this is where you say exactly what I was saying, only you said this after you attacked my intelligence...) "Would I myself build sub boxes with Birch Plywood, not with shop or cabinet grade birch ply, there are voids within the veneer layers, plus the glues used in those layers have/may/will fail. "

LOL, basically you say yourself, it is a subpar material. Now why would I go around recommending people to use shitty materials?

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Bj,

Here's what I find funny about you.

Anytime someone doesn't agree with you or states anything to the contrary, you always throw those comments/opinions back in their face hoping to make that individual feel inferior never to doubt anything you say ever again.

The thing I find most fascinating about all this is rather than willing to actually learn something, you go on the defensive try to make degrading comments.

Dude, I attacked your intelligence because you go off talking about products and materials you have no understanding about other than say:

" Just using regular 7 ply veneer core Birch plywood is a no-no. "

You don't even say why, you just say it without explanation, is that because you didn't know the actual reason why different grades of materials are used for a specific purpose or were you just repeating what you heard??????

You play this game of twisting words making it look like I didn't know what I was saying only to make it look like I was in complete agreement with your original statement.

If I wanted to attack your intelligence, I would go on to say that you have no practical working knowledge of designing, drafting and specification detail, though I will admit they you do say that you leave that kind of work to the folks who know how to do it.

And unlike you, if I don't know something, I ask questions, try to gain a better understanding from those that do/want to pass along their knowledge and experience, but you in your arrogance think you know better and everything and fail to learn a d@mn thing.

Laugh all you want, don't bother me none because I had people laugh at me that got more over on both me and you, but, at least I can respect them for not being a sarcastic azz , much like you are.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1405
Wow,its on!!!! LOL

I think u all should settle this by seeing who can have the lowest prices on enclosures

Silver Member

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 291
I wasnt trying to throw the comments back in your face Phil. What I was trying to say, is I said the same thing as you, in less words. I just dont understand how I dont know what Im talking about, if our opinions are the same...???

If you wanna attack my intelligence about me not being able to design, go right ahead. I have NEVER claimed to be a design genius. Any customer that comes to me for a build and design, I tell them this. Think of it as outsourcing, sorta. I work 110 hrs every two weeks at a lumberyard. I do not have the time to sit down and learn how to design, learn how to use sketch-up, and all that other stuff. If I did have time to learn it, I wouldnt have time to devote to actually working on designs. The extra $5 I would save by doing my own designs, is not worth it to me. I still like to have a social life...

I still browse the forums to learn things. Just because I dont ask questions, does that mean I "know it all" and am unable to learn? I have picked up just about everything I know how to do from different forums. This is where I do my learning, but I dont have to be posting to show Im reading...

I have respect for several other builders. I have never made myself out to be a "sarcastic azz." If Im browsing the boards, and I see a question I can answer it, if I dont know the answer, I keep my nose out of it. I agree with what your trying to say, as to if you just pull bs answers out, it makes you look bad.

So all Im asking, is how did I not know what I was talking about? We both said not to use 7 ply birch? This is the part I find the most hilarious.

And BTW, I do know why to not use veneer core ply. But most people dont care as to why, they just want a yes or no answer... and if they wanted to know why, well then you came by and answered that part...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4880
"If I wanted to attack your intelligence, I would go on to say that you have no practical working knowledge of designing, drafting and specification detail, though I will admit they you do say that you leave that kind of work to the folks who know how to do it."

Wow.Why are you talking sh1t about him and his designing capabilities?If I can recall a box that was built by you and was very expensive...the performance of the box was just bad.It wasn't your design though...it was built with great craftsmanship(Your skills Phil) but you didn't even design it,it was someone else's plan.

Phil,here's what I find funny about you.You have to come around and bash the competition(A young kid in his early 20s) for some unknown reason.Oh well...I like this thread :-) Stick to the kitchen cabinets Phil.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4232
JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY

Silver Member

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 255
i think im just gunna use mdf and veneer it..... seems to be the safe route to go
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us