Please help me choose! =)

Username: Jamesmington

Post Number: 2
I drive a 2003 Volvo S40, and after blowing out my speakers and doing a lot of research I've narrowed down my selection of new speakers. The problem is I'm not sure, which i should go with. So any help would be awesome!

I've decided on 5 1/4" component speakers in the front:

Alpine SPR-13S

JL Audio VR525-CSi

and I plan on getting 6 1/2 speakers for the rear:
Alpine SPS-17C2
Polk Audio db650

if anyone could help me choose between the 2 in each category, I'd greatly appreciate it. I also plan on getting subs and I was told that I wouldn't need rear speakers if I got subs, does anyone have any feedback on this?

Username: Blitzd55

Post Number: 6
this is way off the topic of your post but i work with a guy who is a good friend of mine named Kiet Nguyen ahhh hahahaha thought that was a little coincidental just had to mention that

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1633
x2^ HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

anyway, are you open to other options? like used? not mainstream? what amp would you use for your components? whats budget? and is it possible to fit a 6 1/2 up front. it's really limiting if you can only fit 5.25's. but look at brands such as cdt, focal, image dynamics (not sure if they make 5.25's), mb quart. it all depends on your budget and amp though.

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1634
but out of what you picked i'd go with JL's up front and justin ogle has those 6 1/2 type s components on here for real cheap. like 50 shipped or something. so those.

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 379
^^ I 2nd the JL's in front

Post Number: 3
"anyway, are you open to other options? like used? not mainstream? what amp would you use for your components? whats budget? and is it possible to fit a 6 1/2 up front. it's really limiting if you can only fit 5.25's. but look at brands such as cdt, focal, image dynamics (not sure if they make 5.25's), mb quart. it all depends on your budget and amp though."

sorry for the slow response, ive been busy on a trip.

i am definitely open to other options...used is ok, but it sounds like a gamble to me because there's no way to tell of its quality online, but its an option. im not sure on which amp to go with. but yea, only 5.25's go in the front =/

ive been getting advice from this guy on crutchfield. he said that my best bet would be to go with:
Polk db5250 (front)
Polk db6500 (rear)
Pioneer 3900 (headunit)
and an 80x4 amp. which is undecided.

i checked out the polks, and its quality is great with nice highs, but it lacks in the midbass range. i may plan on getting an Alpine Type-R 12" kicker but no time soon.

as for my budget, im just trying to stay on $1000 with everything installed...and with that is the reason why im a little iffy with the JL's in the front cuz of its price, but im sure its quality is phenomenal, eh? but idk about mixing brands and what not in a car.

any suggestions?

Gold Member

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1801
do you have aim kien? hit me up if u do - jk32sho

i'll help you out i just dont like posting and typing too much on this forum.

Bronze Member
Username: Paarlberg

Post Number: 32
I am getting elemental designs for my car. They have great speakers for a great price. www.edesignaudio.com

I just ordered a replacement for my blown 9 year old sub. It is a 10" dual 2 ohm for $90 shipped. They have a very good following and excellent customer service from what I have read and seen so far.

They have a set of components starting at $95 after forum member discount. (not this forum, but theirs)

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1586
edesign is a love hate company and products. i've used their products and found it good for the price but lacking when compared to stuff they say it should be comparable to. There is a little more hype to them than i like. Only product i use is their edead since its cheap and use it on the floor as thats all its about good for. I use better quality products for trunk lid and doors.

Bronze Member
Username: Paarlberg

Post Number: 33
I agree they are a love/hate company.. Most are IMO (sony, kenwood, alpine, etc..). I know they are very cost effective and their products run along the lines of the CDT CL and HD series (from what I understand). I guess that comes from the joint development they had with CDT a few years ago. Which I understand are a good bang for the buck as well.. A lot of the people on their forum use a mix of CDT and eD products.

In away, the eD users are kind of anti big name brand.. CDT would also fall into that non name crowd I believe.

Nothing against CDT, I haven't heard them or the eD products. I just wanted to throw that option out there as well.

Post Number: 4
sup guys, let me update you on my situation and hopefully I can get some nice feedback/opinions on my selection.

This looks like my final decision:
Headunit: Pioneer 3900MP
Front Component: CDT Audio EuroFrame EF-51
http://audio-n-more.com/thestore/prods/EF-51.html
2 Channel Amp: NSX NA 2120x (2 x 120W @ 4 Ohms)
2x10" Subs: AA Assassin D4
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=161
Sub Amp: 800.1 RD Audio
http://www.rdaudio.net/amps/800.php
Konfused Distribution Block:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-12
JL RCA wires
0 and 4 gauge wires from here:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Power%20Wire

im a little iffy on the Assassin subs and the RD amp, any thoughts?

did i miss anything?

thanks!

oh yea, major thanks to JK for helping me out all afternoon

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1587
email me if you are interested in CDT. If you can go for the HD series. But if not EF is good just not at that price since you are getting last year model parts.

Gold Member

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1856
u'll get more feedback in the subwoofer section
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us