Fiberglass vs. mdf/hdf

Bronze Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 12
I'm puttin 2 12"FI Q's in my evo but dont want to add alot of weight. Been thinkin of doin a fiberglass box. Any opinions on sq sql diff of fiberglass vs mdf/hdf. Also does the irregular shape of fiberglass boxes affect acoustics or tuning the ports?

Can someone post a link for good enclosure designs?Thank

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 166
How much power are you putting on the subs?
The shape of the box shouldn't effect it that much, if at all. I like mdf for its strength and durability, but if done right fiberglass can be great, and look amazing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Im probably goin with the memphis mcd2500 or kicker zx2500. As far as enclosure resonance and quality i'd rather go w/ mdf but their hooper sumoungus and weigh a grip. the fiberglass boxes can fit better in the boot and will also direct the speaker towards the front of the car rather than facing the back. I just dont know if goin w/ a mdf box is worth the extra weight. sriously

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I dont know I'm to fluckin drunk ill think about it in the morning

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 171
It depends on how serious you are about sound, although you could direct the sub wherever you want with mdf too. A properly built fiberglass box could still sound very good.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6044
weight has been a focus fo me with my install.....from now on when I build Im focusing on small enclosures and trying to find strong lightweight materials to use

Gold Member

Post Number: 6045
if you want lighter weight you could do the trupan ultralight

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
trupan ultralight? Is that basically a lightweight mdf?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6047
yeah but alot lighter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Have you heard subs in a ultralight box. How is the sound compared to fiberglass and mdf.

I want to put my subs like this
http://www.mobilesq.com/store/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId= 831&g2_navId=xb2a882ca
I just dont know if it would sound better that way in a fiberglass box or in a mdf box facing towards rear or up

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1210
evo's are flucking awesome, please post pics of it i love those cars!

a strong, well built fiberglass box could match up to a standard mdf box. Personally, id keep my Q's sealed and put em in fiberglass boxes because they'd look so damn cool. Unfortunately it makes it very difficult to port a fiberglass box. I think i've read and seen pictures of them, but if you mess up the ports and tuning of a fiberglass box, its not only gonna turn out to be a huuuuuge waste of time, but it could sound terrible..

go sealed fiberglass and post pics asap!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I think I'll just do that fiberglass setup so I can still drive crazy and not have to worry bout damagin the goods.

I'll post some pics tommorrow nothin to special just got it couple weeks ago. Cant wait to start buildin it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us