Tools for MY very first install

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1511
My first system was a massive P3000.1 and a couple WMD's but i only did a portion of the install (subs and battery wiring) so now im looking to do the first full install.

but i need to know what tools are an ABSOLUTE MUST for car-audio installs. ive order fuse's, holders, terminals, all my wire and equipment.

so if you guys could point out some other things besides just a DMM, wire crimper/stripper itd help me out

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5115
Drill, bits (a uni-bit if you can get one), zip-ties, coat hanger.

You will be amazed at what you can do w/ a coat hanger.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 2056
electrical tape, i use a lot of that lol

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 822
coat hangers have saved me a LOT of time on installs u goin to need some wrenches or sockets

Silver Member
Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 202
whats the hangers used for?

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1045
i've used one to get the wire in hard to fit places where your hand is too big to fit in you tie the wire to the coat hanger cram it in and pull it out easy as pie, apple not pecan.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1152
dont forget a must have is beer!

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 263
I have to agree about the coat hanger... Especially punching the power wire through firewalls for the smaller setups.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3911
Tools to have are the following:

Cordless Drill
Bit Set or Stepper bit(Both are nice to have)
Masking tape(For mounting things prior to drilling
Flashlight(For those hard to see places)
Paint Stripping wheel(For making clean grounds)
Wire cutter(Big ones for 1/0 or bigger)(Cost roughly 20 bucks)
Caliper(Depends on how crazy of an install you do)
Tape Measure
Screw Driver set
Wrenches(An adjustable wrench will work as well)
Razor Knife

That's about all I can think of in a quick post =/
If I come up with any others I'll post it up.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3912
Oooh add Allen keys or L wrenches or even Hex keys or whatever you want to call them.

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1529
nice rob. thanks a ton
i have the majority of the tools there, the biggest prob will prolly be borrowing power tools from my dad

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2370
and like a magnet or something magnetic just case you drop something somewhere its not suppose to be. rotozip or like a dremel tool. for just incase situations.

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 614
the first tool you need is MONEY, so u can have it professionally installed. lmao!!

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1046
DIY FTW

Chris Engarde's idea FTL

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 832
Solder Iron, and Solder Wire... This might be my opinion, but i dont like to just rap electrical tape on the wires.. I solder it then wrap the E-Tape

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 393
solder and heat shrink ftmfw, also a quick stripper rather then wire stripper can save a ton of time. even a hot glue gun can save ur azz for certain temp jobs or like i mounted a screen to me dash for the ipod but it spun alot since it was a twist to lock setup i added some hot glue to it twist and locked it, the sun heated it it cooled now the screen is solid. and dosen't spin plus i wanna remove it for inspection i use a blow dryer. the big thing for me is soldering it helps a ton and aligator clips help for a third hand when soldering. a good chop or circular saw, belt sander and even a bandsaw which thanks to my father i got can pretty much make you do anything. the biggest starter tools deff a solder iron, heat shrink or eletrical tape, mm,a solid drill best bet cordless, drill bits and thats about it also a good craftsman "mechanics" toolset can be had for a good cheap price at any sears or now carrying kmart.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us