Help a noob please

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13819
yes i am a noob when it comes to this kicker sx900.2. maybe something is wrong with the amp. if that is the case then i ain't a noob. lol.

anyways here is the story.

last night, i connected everything right. the power came on like it should and all the setting were working in perfect order on the displays.

when i went to play a song, the bass is weak. i mean weak. i have my pioneer sub hooked up to it right now. i could barely hear the bass. i read the manual 3 times and still couldn't figure out why. there is sound but barely. it was 100 times louder when i had 300wrms on the pio sub.

is there something special you have to do on this amp or something? anyone with experience with this amp please tell me.

looks like ima have to send this one back so they can take a look at it. damn. lucky my friend is lending me his jl 1000/1.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3313
What's it putting out for power at the output terminals?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3315
BUMP YOU PIECE OF SH1t!

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13822
man i didn't even check. what is the point? it is barely putting anything out on the sub. i want to return this amp and get another one. i put my subwoofer level on my hu at 6/6 and still i can barely hear it. i even had the gain at max and it barely put out anything.

i just emailed hookedontronics so hopefully they can work something out for me.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3804
maybe the gain isnt up enough?
test the coils of the sub, they might have sent the wrong ohm load, but i doubt it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3316
The point is just to see what kind of power it's putting out before it has a resistor on it. :-)

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13823
ok rob. i am just so frustrated right now. damn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3320
Lol Chad.I wasn't frustrated but does this situation ring a bell?

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13824
rofl rob. thats not fair. i am comparing the output to a 300wrms. also you told me by turning the gain up it got louder. i turned the gain up full and its the same thing.

lol damn you. lol.

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 754
Ha thats Karma for making me look dumb earlier Chad hahahahaha lol no not really im sorry man i hope you get your amps switched out without any further problems good luck with that Chad

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13825
raymond :-(

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2955
Talk to Chauncey, he has the sx1250? he should know so and so about those amps.

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13826
i really think there is something wrong with this amp berny.

i emailed the seller so hopefully he gets back to me. anyways since the jl audio is 1000wmrst at 1.5-4 ohms, i am covered. i am thinking of just getting another jl audio 1000/1.

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 755
come one Chad i was just playing but that Jl should sound nice, i just imagine that the cash coming out of your pocket is not going to sound as nice

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2956
cash ;), I guess you don't know chad much :P

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 756
well even if i was rich i would still hate to buy overpriced equipment even if it is good quality

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13830
lol raymond. i ain't rich but when it comes to car audio i would spend everything i have to get something. thank God i don't want any of the expensive stuff. lol.

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 758
wow i just re read your post about the JL so does that mean its not stable at 1 ohm?

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1246
yo chad whats wrong with it man ... whats going on with it .. hit me up

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13832
i dont know mike. i connected everything right. it tunrs on and everything is working. but there is hardly any output.

i'll be on aim tonight so if you are on then i would really appreciate it if you can help me. thanks in advance.

chad.

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13835
bump.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1249
i have to work til 9 but ill be home round 930 ... hit me up if u on alright man ...

sounds like a power supply problem ... ive seen the sx 4 channels do the same things many times ...

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13839
damn. so there is something wrong with the amp then.

but i checked the sick bay and the current and the voltages are fine. the temperature is healthy. everything indicates the amp is working fine. except for the most important, the sound.

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 748
Hey Chad why not get the JBL/Crown BPX2200 instead of 2 JL 1000/1's I heard there some bad @ss amps

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3123

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13841
i wasn't planning on running 2 jl 1000/1. i just want 1000wrms for my sub.

i was looking at the other jbl amp. it does 1140wrms at 4ohms and i think it will work fine.

but anyways let me see what is wrong with this amp first before i go out and buy another one. i gotta get my money back or get another amp from hookedontronics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1250
that jbl amp while being a solid amplifier ... there overpriced ... i would run a IA40.1 or a Sundown3000d before that ... ne ways

i dno chad thats really weird ... ive never seen that before especially with a sx amp ... those normally have no problems whatsoever ... except for the occasional power supply issue on the older batches ...

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 749
mike thats not too overpriced and you can get them cheaper through dealers.. having crown quality into a car audio amp doing almost 2500rms at 4ohms

i remember seeing a topic on the term pro forum saying these amps almost cheat out the competition from its performance

the sundown does 800rms @4ohms and pretty sure the incriminator audio does well below the jbl as well, chads sub is 3 ohm stable so why would you choose the other amps?

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13842
yeah damn 3ohm stable. anyways i really want to use my kicker amp. it is solid. if the seller somehow takes it back and gives me a refund then i want the jbl amp. not the 2200 but the 1100. i don't need alot of power. also mike from soundsplinter told me i will be fine with 1000wrms on this sub. i trust his opinion.

i doubt i'll get a refund though.:-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1251
im saying in general ... not for chads application ... those are the amps "I" would rather have ...

call kicker chad ... they walked an old customer of mine through a mod on the board of an amplifier over the phone ... that was having a power supply problem ... id say hit them up and ask the people who actually manufacture the amplifier ... kicker has always been real good with customer service in my expierience ... they should be able to help you

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13846
thanks mike. yeah when i get home ima first take out the sub and see if its the sub. maybe a loose connection somewhere.

anyways i appreciate everyone's inputs. thanks guys. you guys are the best.

chad

Gold Member

Post Number: 1252
you never know ... the 3 ohm wiring can be tricky even to the audiophile ... lol

hope it works out mang ... u got some good equipment there ... and u know what ur doing lol

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13847
yeah. thanks.

btw i don't have the rl-s hooked up yet. i have pioneer sub hooked up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1253
ohh yea thats right lol ...

id say if u cant get a refund ... contact kicker ...thell help you out ..

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2032
It raised red flags for me when I saw that the amp was tested in '03. Like I told you before I have dealt with hookedontronics a few times before and I actually bought my Premier 780 from them and it was built like two months before I bought it.... haven't seen a product that fresh in awhile. Never had a problem with them so I don't know how their customer service is but from what I have experienced they are a solid outfit and I am sure they will hook you up. Hopefully you will find something you did wrong in the wiring etc.

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13849
well hookedontronics isn't answering my email today. maybe tomorow.

anyways, my sub might be bad.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2044
Well they are in Miami so they are closed about 3 hours before Cali time. Try calling (800) 265-1030 in the morning. After you make sure that everything is hooked up correctly on your end, tell them that the amp was tested in '03 and it isn't working and you want a new one.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2573
Before going thru all the hassle, Throw a meter on the wireing. It may be something simply. Bad rcas, weak ground, HU settings. See what the voltage is at the amp, and the amp out put. No sence just guessing. A meter will tell you in 5 minutes what guessing will in a week.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 203
ive used both the 1100.1 and the 2200.1, you can ocasionally find them new on ebay for amazing prices, and they are amazing amps, i got my 2200.1 used for 400 bucks and it was probably the best deal i have ever got. it has lotsa nice features too built in low pass and high pass crossovers, you can change the settings on the amp for best bridged or best parallel, and theres 12db and 24db slopes on the crossover, and 2500 watts at 4 ohms is impressive

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5675
yo chad.

did you swapped another amp??? a smaler amp doesnt matter to see if the rcas preouts of your piooner are blown??? check your rcas from your pionneer if they are working good it might be the amp

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 788
you're so deaf from two 15" btl's, sry chad, sq in the accord wasn't meant to happen, the car audio gods have decided already. haha jp, good luck on gettin everything worked out

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13852
i am an idiot guys. i took out my pioneer sub and rewired it to 2ohms and now it bumps hard. i have it hooked up to one of the channels cause its 4ohm stable bridged and i don't want to run it down to 2ohms.

i had the sub wired at 8ohms.

i repeat this amp hits hard. i can't wait to put my rl-s in there.

i can be an idiot sometimes. its very rare so enjoy guys. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4717
atleast it works.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7908
Mistakes are our best education. The more you make the smarter you are.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3338
Nice Chad.I knew that amp would hit.Bad wiring FTW!

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2049
"After you make sure that everything is hooked up correctly on your end, tell them that the amp was tested in '03 and it isn't working and you want a new one."

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13853
lol cal. yeah after the btl's nothing really impresses me as far as spl goes. lol.

thanks to everyone. i am so happy right now.

a round of wings for everyone.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11715
so its fully playing ur SS sub good now ? .....

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13858
well my ss sub isn't in yet rovin. the box is done so i just need to go this saturday to install it.

the amp is playing awesome now.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1771
hey chad, i gotta get you on my team to do all my wiring!!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11718
^^^

chad had a paris hilton\jessica simpson moment ........

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13862
lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us