Quick Question

Silver Member
Username: Splsq

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 289
well i just got my new sub today its a 12inch Kicker L7 and i hooked it up and like its ported and when the bass it hits for like 5 mins a smell will come about but its not a burnt smell it smells like new shoes and i felt the sub and it was pretty warm is that bad i mean i dont think its blown its only getting 600watts RMS.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1368
Sounds like you are clipping it...

Tell us how you set your gains.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 290
i have no idea how my gains are set because BB tuned my amp when i got my 2 L5s installed but now i have the one L7 so i really dont no.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 291
do you guys think it might be the bass knob i have in my car to conrtol the bass

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3049
Turn the gain control on the amplifier down.Then learn how to properly set the gain yourself using a digital multi meter and after the gain is set properly watch your voltage and make sure it doesn't drop below 12 volts.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 292
ok well what if i dont no how to do ne of that and dont have a meter. i heard that the knob is bad or somethin

Gold Member

Post Number: 3050
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

Watch/read that a few times and you should be able to set the gain properly by yourself.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 293
well i guess i will leave it be since i dont want to mess with it and i really dont no what im doing i will just not blast it for a week and let it break in. and i guess the bass knob is ok if its ment for the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3051
For now you should definately turn the gain control on your amplifier down or counter-clockwise.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 294
im just going to leave it the people at BB are prof so they no what they are doing and it dosnt matter right now cause i had to take the sub out of my car cause it getting taken in to a body shop for repairs for ten days so im getting a rental car for no and u no im going to beat the living SH!T out of the rental car..it should be fun but it still sucks i get my new sub then it goes by by.:-(

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 728
in bb u mean best buy there is no way that they are professionals u should be hung in a tree by ur nut sack if u got best buy to install ur audio equiptment just a suggestion make sure your bass boost on ur amp is all the way down

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 703
dude i've told you before, UNHOOK your bass knob, all it does is mess up your stuff

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 295
how does a bass knob mess up your stuff it controls the volume of bass and isnt it louder using a bass knob other then not.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4671
yes it does make it louder. whenever you feel like you need more bass just turn the dial up to make it as loud as you want it, that's what i'd do.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 168
bass knobs = distortion which = cliping which = your subs or your amps death.

DO NOT USE A BASS KNOB. thats how i blew my first set up.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 296
so i think when i get my car back i will break in the sub and not play it to loud and then after like a week let it go cause it wasnt a burnt smell more like a new shoe smell idk.

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 169
hmmmm... if u smell somthing other than the smell of wood that the subs are pumping out, somthings probobly wrong. but it could also be this varnish stuff that they put on some coils which when u first play it, its just the varnish thats making the smell.

Silver Member

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 297
ill just wait and break it in and see if the smell goes away and ill keep the bass knob so it is louder cause i like loud bass and i mean idk what to belive on it i have people saying its bad and some saying its fine and i just like loud bass.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1736
Who said a bass knob is ok? Unhook it. Anyone have that Elemental bass knob video handy?

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 170
u can have loud bass with out using the bass kno, man. is it a bass knob with a wire? i used to have mine hooked up to my old set up and my sub was constantly clipping and i said the same exact thing "oh, its just got to break in and then it wont smell anymore" but then one day i was bumpin down the street with the bass knob at full throtle listening to "throw it up" by lil jon and then all of a sudden there was no bass and i got out of my car and checked the sub and it wouldnt move. there was no smoke or anything cause it was like a slow death. a little smell hear and there untill boom... sub cuts out. just be carefull. if u are gunna use the knob i would at least set the gain with the bass knob all the way up. but its better not to use it at all.

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 171
http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_video.php?viewkey=c13838ff95ccfa94cebd

there it is brad. good video

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

C.FREE

Post Number: 1340
pretty clear right there... DONT USE UR BASS BOOST KNOB

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2877
You can use your bass knob, just don't go over like 6db's or so. If you really want to know if you can use your bass knob and how much, use an oscillioscope.

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 172
exactly^

but then once u get to about 6db its just too
tempting and u probobly will boost it more.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 718
with hifonics amps and alot of other amps that use bass knobs, they're really actually gain controls, and yea your subs will get really loud when they're moving 3 damn inches, but L5s and 7s don't like moving more than they are supposed to and out of all the subs to turn gain up on, square kickers are the ones you dont want to
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us