Need help on 12" subwoofer options for small sealed boxes

Username: Bassfeind

Post Number: 2
I've read alot about deep bass and small enclosures not going together. The best sound I've heard was from my old JL 12w0's in a small sealed box, hit all the lowest notes with no problem. Now I've moved up to more power and higher powered subs and that lower register especially with R&B tracks is barely audible. I have 2-12" Diamond D312D2's pushing 600rms total. I've heard there's is a formula to be sure the woofer I'm buying will work in a small enclosure...something about having low total "Q", low sensitivity, and the EBS equation of Fs/Qes, with below 50 for sealed boxes and over 50 requiring ported enclosures. Can anyone knowledgable help me with a few brands that can meet the challenge of "super" low bass but still great sq? I'm looking at Image Dyanmics.... 12" 400rms per sub is perfect for my taste.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 672
are you asking for 1 or 2 12" subwoofers. and whats the maximum wattage you want to run? do you have an amplifier already?

Post Number: 3
I want 2 12's and since I have a Kenwood 9152 it's maybe pushing 500-575rms I'm buying a second amp to push at least a total of 1000rms.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1447
The Infinity Perfect is a great SQ sub for small sealed boxes.

Post Number: 4
What do you think about the JLW3's, the new fosgate P3, or Alpine Type-R. I guess I wonder why they provide specs for sealed enclosures when they may not play the super low notes unless ported? Confusing. Back in the day you could by almost any sub and they played great in small sealed boxes. Maybe those were looser subs, my Diamonds are really tight and a thick rubber surround. Maybe that could be preventing it from moving enough to go down below 40hz loudly?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4385
DIYMA 12 is probably they best out of the mentioned.

Post Number: 5
What is DIYMA? MA Audio?

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 637
"What do you think about the JLW3's, the new fosgate P3, or Alpine Type-R."

I went through this dilemma, but ultimately decided on the Type R's. My friend got P3's and they sound good too, but I havent experienced with the W3's, idk much about them, but I really wanted to try them, until several guys on here convinced me not to ;)

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 593
get the d3's. ask blaine westropp about em. he had two before he upgraded to 3 and they sounded very good. If all youve heard is w0's, youll love the d3's. Very clean and tight and hifisoundconnection.com has great prices on them.

W3v3s and v2s are highly overrated. Theyre pricey as hell and quite frankly, i dont think theyre anything special.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us